Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Tree ledge acess at Stone Mountain
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rpiontek

Nov 10, 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Tree ledge acess at Stone Mountain  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Stone_Mountain_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a relatively new leader and would like to do the Great Arch at Stone, but the acess to the tree ledge has been keeping me from it. I'm aware of the standard routes to get there, u Slot, block route, entrance crack, dirty crack. What's the best protected? Suggestions? I'm aware of the runout nature of Stone, and I'm not ready for most of those routes, but the Great Arch looks sweet and I think I'm up to it. What about rapping from the top to the ledge, is that a reasonable option?

fixednut

Nov 10, 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tree ledge acess at Stone Mountain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

With a bit of finagling (and definitely a few tri-cams), U-slot is relatively well protected and pretty fun. It is also quite easy...just don't fall above the (um?) roof.

emilb

Nov 10, 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirty crack is probably the best protected. It's quite a bit harder than the others you mentioned though.

cordata

Nov 10, 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Entrance crack is very easy -- if you happen to have a #5 Camalot it's about the right size to protect the upper portion. I believe the "R" rating is only if you do not have wide gear. There is also a placement for a small TCU about midway up the offwidth.

However, rather than running out to buy big pieces if you don't already have them the other routes suggested might be better.

Once you've led No Alternative you should be more than ready for Entrance Crack.

Dave

forkliftdaddy

Nov 10, 2004, 11:34 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is very possible to rap in from the top of the cliff. this will require a couple of double rope raps, however. folks do this frequently on wet days; the routes off the tree ledge dry faster than those below it.

offroute

Nov 10, 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally like Block Route for quick access to the tree ledge. The block move is the only reason why it has a 5.8 rating and it is super well protected (you can put several pieces under the block if you are gun shy). The rest of the pitch is very casual with a set of rings and a couple cracks for pro.

Also, when you rap from the top of the G.A.... be careful with your rope length to the intermediate rings. We came up short last weekend on it just because the knot was on the wrong side of the rings, making the slightly shorter rope, uncomfortably short.

cjstudent

Nov 10, 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the votes for U-Slot or Block Route.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook