RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

climbsomething

May 31, 2002, 10:30 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1497 views)
Shortcut

San Diego road trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

AZ's climbing areas are getting squashed by all the fire closures, so me and a friend are sayin' TIME FOR ROAD TRIP! One of our possibilities is San Diego because it's not toooo far from Tucson, plus we can also chill at the beach if the mood hits us. (two hot girls looking for AT LEAST 2 hot boys ) no, really, we've never been to San Diego before so any info on the area would be keen, helpful local guides appreciated too! We have 2 dogs, so they have to be somewhere pooch-friendly. We're lookin at next weekend (June 8-9 etc). We can lead sport and are down with moderate bouldering too. REPLY REPLY! or PM or IM me.

Hillary (go "climbsomething"!)

[ This Message was edited by: climbsomething on 2002-05-31 15:41 ]

jt512

Jun 1, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1497 views)
Shortcut

San Diego road trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

San Diego isn't exactly a climbing Mecca. It really doesn't have any destination-level crags (Woodson, mainly a trad area, is about the best, so I hear). San Diego sport climbers usually drive up to the L.A. area to climb. This time of year the best sport climbing in SoCal is at Williamson Rock in the Angeles National Forrest. There is limited info on the area in the rc.com routes database. There are about 300 routes there altogether. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

-Jay

climbsomething

Jun 1, 2002, 2:10 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, well, what do I know, I was just looking for something that isn't too long of a haul from Tucson because we could just do a weekend. Any other SoCal people who would like to recommend their fave crags? I'd like to not drive more than 8 or 9 hours from Tucson, and preferably not bake in the blistering heat. oh, and we only know how to lead sport. picky, picky

foolry

Jun 1, 2002, 10:44 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would advise you to head for Utah. It's not much further and you would have unlimited climbing options. Plus you could hit Redrocks, NV, on the way. In Utah you there is sport climbing all over.
American Fork Canyon is Awe-Some Limestone right by Salt Lake City. Pockets Galore.
Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons are also by Salt Lake and are great Granite(not like the fingerprint removing granite in Joshua Tree.)
Or, If Sandstone is your thing there is tons of it around St. George. ALong with some REALY nasty 350 million year old razor-sharp Limestone(really you have to see and climb to believe).
And my Personal Favorite. Maple Canyon, aproximatly mid-way between St. George and SLC, this rock is unlike anything else in the world. Crazy conglomorate. Big old cobbles stuck in a sandstonnish wall. Pumpy as He!! TONS of routes from 5.4 through 5.14ish.
I'd offer to climb with you guys but I just moveed to San Diego from Utah. I can't find much Climing down here. Try, Kennoyce. He's one of my old climbing buddies up there, I'm sure he'd love to climb with two Hot chicks. If you need more info. you can PM me.
Good Luck and Let me know how it works out!

foolry

[ This Message was edited by: foolry on 2002-06-01 15:46 ]

crashrescue

Jun 26, 2002, 3:02 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Ladies,
There is Dixon lake, its a small top rope, sport area, Santee boulders with Mission goarge near by, there is pump wall in La jolla, and plenty of climbing gyms. most places should be suitible for dogs. Woodson has some good places, and there is a book of all the climbing in San Diego. Check out REI for the book. I hope you have a good trip, and I hope thoughs fire go out soon. But thats just the firefighter in me.
Enjoy your summer.
John
Drop me a line at jprzybylla@yahoo.com with any questions.

tcollins

Jun 26, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out in SD last March and climbed at Mission Gorge, it was ok, nothing special. However I love SD, especially OB. When I lived in Phx we went over there a lot. Good times. This might help some,
http://www.giantsoftware.com/sdcc/
I too would probably head to UT too for better climbing.

Good luck with the fires. I hate seeing all my backpacking havens burning up. My thoughts are with you guys.

TD

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook