RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

rockon

Aug 23, 2001, 7:02 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

any suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a fairly new climber, but am already hooked on the sport. I have taken 2 instructional classes and climbed with an instructor 2 times and on my own (with my boyfriend who has also had the same experience). I have all my own equipment, but I have a few problems. My instructor has closed his store and I am not sure who to talk to about little questions. I also have a time problem, I work full time and go to college full time. There is nowhere close to me to climb outside or in the gym. I know that bouldering is an option, but I am not sure where to find boulders to climb on. I hike a good bit so I have been looking, but have been unsuccessful. I want to improve and also just love climbing. Where can I find places to climb? Also, if anyone has any beginning suggestions for me, any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Sue

Partner pianomahnn

Aug 24, 2001, 3:10 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

any suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you could attain a copy of the book "Rock and Road." It's 500 pages of places to climb in the United States.

Where excactly are you located? Maybe we all could help you find stuff.

k2exp2010

Aug 26, 2001, 1:31 AM
Post #3 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sue, one suggestion would be to get some climbing holds. if you have a garage, a backyard, or a wall in your house/apt. you don't mind filling with holds, build a climbing wall. this helps with finding even 10 minutes out of your day to get some technique and practice in.
let us know where you're located. this site is awesome for q&a about tips/techniques but we can help you find places in your area.

k2exp2010

Aug 26, 2001, 1:47 AM
Post #4 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh, forgot to mention. if you do decide to build a wall, get some guidance on how to construct one carefully. bad architecture in anything will result in a bad fall...

rockon

Aug 27, 2001, 1:39 AM
Post #5 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the replies. I live about 40 miles east of Pittsburgh, PA. It's in Westmoreland county. Please let me know of any places I can climb. Also, if anyone lives around me, I am ALWAYS looking for people to climb with.
Thanks again for all the help.
Sue

Partner pianomahnn

Aug 27, 2001, 6:18 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This website has a large database of climbing sites (indoor and outdoor). This should start you off. http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listContinent.php?ContinentID=1

kahuna3602

Aug 27, 2001, 7:26 AM
Post #7 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to a climbing gym or a store that supplies climbers. If it's in a climbing area there are bound to be several books on known climbing areas and routes. Falcon Books makes some excellent starter books and some of the independent books are awesome. I got one for Shelf Road in CO that even has pictures of the walls and the routes numbered and detailed.

pollux

Aug 27, 2001, 5:55 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another good place for lots of places to climb is www.rocklist.com They have an extensive database of places to climb

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook