RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

yosemite_climber

Jun 2, 2002, 5:41 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Great Pacific Iron Works??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have an old gear sling by that is from The Great Pacific Iron Works. It says that they are manufacturers on Chouinard Equipment. I got this from my cousing. I was wondering how old it is or if it might be worth anything...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daren

rollingstone

Aug 1, 2002, 9:37 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Great Pacific Iron Works?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think mtngeo is on the money. If memory serves me correctly, Chouinard Equipment was first, then came the name GPIW around 1972, eventually becoming Patagonia after Yvon realized how much money there was in clothing, with the development of synthetic fibers (I think being friends with Doug Tompkins helped here too, because DT made a fortune in retail!, and eventually after the lawsuit had to reorganize as Black Diamond.

gambler

Aug 10, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True Dat,I used a Chouinard gear sling in the 70's,made by GPIW and the things were kind of uncomfortable(the sharp edge on the overlapping part digs into your shoulder)so we put ensulite padding on the inside and use duct tape to attach it( this was in the pre padded gear sling days).The padding was nice to have when you are wearing a whole rack of pitons on El Cap!!!!And those GPIW T-shirts were classic,with the big tsunami on the back.
gambler

kevlar

Aug 30, 2002, 12:08 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW I see some old timers giving up there age....but me being new to the rock climbing thing....must remember that rocks have been around forever....an the old adage..." why did you climb the mountain? " cause it was there...

Sounds awesome to have some old memories cleared up...keep it an enjoy it...good conversation piece around the campfire

Like me coming across some old steel biners my dad had issued to him in the army...

Happy climbing an enjoy...

rollingstone

Aug 31, 2002, 5:01 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kevlar: We are not old-timers! Guys like Fred Beckey and Dee Molenaar, Nick Clinch, or Bob Bates and Brad Washburn are old-timers. Let's keep things in perspective here, OK?

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook