RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

fo_d

Jun 2, 2002, 6:31 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Blue Mound state park gathering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just Got back, We had a great time but I dont have much time to write about it right now, I'll write more tomarrow.

those in attendance were: rrradam, i.karen, feind, pelliott (+family), l_j_x (+family), duskerhu, jhatten (+ freinds Dan, Ben, Titus (brother)) and fo_d, shayddup, shelly (T-hee) Deb & Matt and Sue.

MIA was:lisa and slopers

Pics will be added tomarrow

Les

l_j_x

Jun 3, 2002, 8:11 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Blue Mound state park gathering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[ This Message was edited by: l_j_x on 2002-06-24 10:35 ]

fo_d

Jun 3, 2002, 9:56 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cant beleive how little time I have before leaving for SLC, I'll try to get as much of this done as possible while I'm tring to get ready for SLC.
Not all the routes we climbed at Blue mound are in the data base yet so I'll try to get those in so you can add your ascents.

Here is a list of routes climbed and who climbed them, please message me if I get anything wrong.

Crazy Crack 5.7: pelliott. duskerhu, l_j_x, fo_d, shayddup, shelly, rrradam, i.karen, feind.

Kanaranzi Corner 5.7: pelliott, duskerhu, fo_d

Purgatory 5.11a: rrradam, feind, i.karen

The Crack 5.7: pelliott, fo_d, shayddup, shelly, duskerhu,

Kanaranzi Right 5.9+: rrradam

The guillotine 5.9: rrradam, feind, i.karen

Prairie Walls area.

Black and Blue bulge 5.9: rrradam fo_d, pelliott, duskerhu, i.karen (anyone else?)

Gullivers Travels 5.7+ (5.8+): fo_d, pelliott, rrradam, jhatten, duskerhu, (anyone else?)

Ivy right 5.5 pelliott, Ben...anyone else?

Old Stump 5.7: jhatten, Ben, Dan, Titus (anyone else?)

Easy Street 5.6: jhatten, Ben, Deb (anyone else?)

Balcony Center 5.10a: rrradam, pelliott (anyone else finish this?)

Balcony Right 5.9+: rrradam, pelliott, duskerhu, jhatten, i.karen, fo_d, Titus
(anyone else finish this?)

Pass the Package: rrradam, fo_d

anyway thats all I can remember, if you climbed something and I didnt get you name down, please message me I dont want to leave anyone out.

feind (gimpy) it was great to finally meet you, thanks for setting up the slackline, I hope you knee gets better fast, you have a lot of climbing to do yet.

jhatten, Ben, Titus and Dan you guys are cool, it was great to climb with you and I hope I get to see some of you in SLC.

rrradam its always cool to climb with you, thanks for being willing to teach, see you in SLC.

i.karen, same goes for you and thank for the burritos, those were great, see you soon.

The rest of the Minnesota gang: pelliott, l_j_x, duskerhu, its always great to climb with you all and I know we'll be out many more times this year, thanks for helping out and also thanks for bringing fire wood.

Knowing me, I've probably forgotten someone or an ascent for someone, I dont mean to I'm just kinda brain dead, so if I forgot you or something you climbed please message me.

Next stop SLC!

Les

Sorry pelliott, I knew I would forget something, and after giving you such a hard time about your gear I should have rembered. Good job.

[ This Message was edited by: fo_d on 2002-06-05 03:54 ]

dannoman

Jun 3, 2002, 10:28 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a great time Saturday! Thanks to all who shared ropes/belayed. Hope to see you folks in the future.
Les, I'm not sure yet what type of route database you are compiling, but if you run into Craig or Gary up there again, they have been on 200 routes. I've been climbing up there since 1990, and have been on a few new climbs or variations of the original 130, but these lucky dudes who live so close spend a lot of weekends out there.
See you on the Rocks,
Dan

fo_d

Jun 3, 2002, 10:49 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Craig and Gary were cool, they did show us a few routes not in my bookk and I'll be adding them to the database here on rc.com.

I added a few pics, they probably wont be ok'ed till later tonight or tomarrow, I'll add more when I have time.

Les

ooops! for got to put in the link for the pics.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=View&Method=ByAlbum&AlbumID=232

[ This Message was edited by: fo_d on 2002-06-03 10:53 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 3, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a great time with all of you. Thanx Les for setting it up.

And we, all 3 of us, really enjoyed the kids there. They alone were worth the trip, and the climbing and RC.com members were a bonus.

Thanx for the "left overs" (firewood), it came in handy.

And watch for Josh, from Nebraska, he's a natural. We'll be reading about him soon.

~Adam

fiend

Jun 3, 2002, 9:56 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll echo what Adam said, all the kids were great and it was super cool to meet everyone. Thanks for the concern regarding my knee, it's rapidly recovering and I should be back up to speed soon.

I'm also glad everyone enjoyed the slackline, it feels great to introduce other people to something that I love to do and trust me, once you all start, you'll want to walk it every chance you get

Looking forward to seeing some of you in SLC!

seaner

Jun 4, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you guys going to hold another event like this anytime soon?

fo_d

Jun 4, 2002, 10:56 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe next year, but we plan on making one or two more trips there this year, just come climb with us then.

Les

duskerhu

Jun 5, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to re-iterate what a great time the RC.com Blue Mounds gathering was! I know I've PMed most of you thanx, but to anyone I missed, Thanks All!

It was great the Nebraska boys could come up too. Meeting new friends is always cool.

I think about my favorite memory from this trip was watching fo_d and rrradam on Pass The Package and fo_d's bruise the next day (LOLOLOL)!

Friday night, fiend set up and showed us the slackline and gave us the good good beta on how to work it. I think the adults had more fun than the kids did. We were up past midnight playing on that thing. And Saturday night we all sat around the fire, told stories and listened to some "readings" from some.

But the highlight was Saturday's climbing. Unfortunately, Mark (fiend) popped his knee while re-working The Guillotine and had to call it a day. But the rest of us climbed on and had a great day in the sun.

BTW fo_d, I too finished The Guillotine with some hang dogging and coaching from rrradam (this is a tough route Les and I set up Friday evening before Adam, Karen, and Mark arrived and were unable to finish after a long day of driving and climbing.)

At any rate, the weekend was a BLAST! I really enjoyed meeting those I didn't know and getting to know everyone better. We'll definately have to do this again next year!

Hope to see everyone soon, and have a great summer.

edit: Hey BTW fo_d, in your scramble to get ready for SLC, you didn't mention that pelliott did his first ( i think) Trad Lead on Ivy Right on Saturday afternoon... WOOO WWHHHOOOOOOooooooo Patrick!

Live Free!
Play Hard!
Climb On!

duskerhu

[ This Message was edited by: duskerhu on 2002-06-05 00:25 ]

pelliott

Jun 10, 2002, 8:23 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was psyched for this trip and I wasn't disappointed. It was great to finally see some of the people whose messages I had been reading for so long. Adam looked much different than I expected. He looks different than his pictures.

My girls Shannon and Katie came with and they had fun playing in the woods. Shannon got a mild case of poison ivy, but it isn't serious and it is healing well.

Katie really enjoyed the slackline and now she wants me to set one up in our back yard. I have plenty of spare webbing so I think I can do it. Maybe she will run away and join the circus now.

Indeed I did my first trad lead on Ivy Right. I learned a lot and I am refining my rack as a result. Les gave me a hard time about how I forgot the kitchen sink since my rack was so bulky. I discovered that it is unnecessary to string each cam on it's own biner. I think my rack is ready to go now that I have trimmed it down to four cams per biner.

I think the best climb was Balcony Center. That heel hook made it a real challenge. Let's see...
Both hands on ledge at the lip of the roof.
Hook the heel up to the right.
Pull up and grab the flake.
Left hand turns into a mantle.
Quick reach up to the next hold with the left hand and paste the left foot.
Voila! I was past the crux. Now I just have to send the top half the next time I go there.

Anyway. I gotta go now.

Peace...

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$6.26 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$14.58 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)