Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
The Division Wall in American Fork Canyon is closing!?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

rocknpowda

Jun 3, 2002, 3:30 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut

The Division Wall in American Fork Canyon is closing!?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

While climbing at the Division Wall in AF yesterday, we were informed by a camp host that as of next weekend (june 8-9)the Division Wall will be closed to climbing for good because climbers don't pay a day use fee for using their facilities, climbers argue with camp hosts alot, and there are plenty of other places in the canyon to climb.

Other than walking through the campground to get to the crag, I think most climbers don't even use the campground "facilities" while climbing. As far as the day use fee goes, everyone has to pay three dollars just to get into the canyon which should be enough to maintain the amount of facilities climbers use when climbing at the Divison. If they are worried about climbers arguing with camp hosts, just wait until they try to enforce the closure!

The Division Wall is packed with awesome routes and it would be a shame to see it closed. Can anyone tell me if this is true or just a rumor started by a disgruntled camp host?

jmlangford

Jun 3, 2002, 4:01 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut

The Division Wall in American Fork Canyon is closing!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of land is that wall on? If it is Forest Service or BLM, that camp host is just a private vendor who contracts with the agency to run the campground. Unless the agency themselves shows up and says it is closed, tell that host to pound sand! In fact, this kind of thing irritates me so much I might just drive up there and tell him to pound sand myself! Even if the agency who controls the land says it is closed, remind the morons that it is your hard-earned tax dollars that pays their salary and they can pound sand too!

sugarbaby

Jun 3, 2002, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what?? they're closing it? nooo!!!!
hopefully it's just a rumor. division wall is too great to close. that's where i lead my first route.
we should start a petition. :)
Jenna

phlyfisher

Jun 3, 2002, 4:11 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be a huge bummer. The division wall is sweet. I haven't heard anything about it closing. I was there last week and there were tons of people climbing there and no one mentioned a possible closure. Lets hope for the best.

climb on climba

biggernhell

Jun 13, 2002, 1:30 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, No, No, This can't be. One of the reasons I moved here from the southeast was that alot of my favorite crags had closed or were in danger. Now there closing part of A.F. before I even get a chance to climb there. Please someone, tell me that its not true.

nailzz

Jun 13, 2002, 1:50 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, let's look at the bright side. If jmlangford can get enough camp hosts and government workers to pound enough sand for long enough and hard enough, we might just have some new sandstone crags to climb at in the near future!

But seriously, they would have a major commotion on their hands if they did close it. And besides, like it's already been pointed out, it's just a damn CG host. Nobody 'real' has said anything yet have they?

One more side note, does anybody want to post the lyrics to 'host' the song on this thread? I heard you guys singing it at rc.com SLC and couldn't stop laughing.

Have fun.

darkside

Jun 13, 2002, 2:08 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weee're climbing up....
So you'd better get this closure....overrr

[ This Message was edited by: darkside on 2002-06-12 19:10 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook