Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Is Division Wall in American Fork Canyon closing to climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rocknpowda

Jun 3, 2002, 11:22 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Is Division Wall in American Fork Canyon closing to climbing  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: American_Fork_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday (6/2/02) a campground host told us that the division wall is closing to climbing for good next weekend. Has anyone else heard about this? Is it true or just a rumor started by a disgruntled camp host to discourage climbers from walking through her precious campground? If it is closing, we as climbers should do something about it.

[ This Message was edited by: rocknpowda on 2002-06-03 11:23 ]

rocknpowda

Jun 7, 2002, 11:48 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Is Division Wall in American Fork Canyon closing to climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GOOD NEWS---The Division Wall is not Closing!

I called the Forest Service department and talked with John Logan in charge of recreation. He told me that he hadn't heard of any climbing area closures. They may close one or two camp sites near the climbing due to rock fall, but no climbing closures at this time.

Enjoy the Division Wall and if the camp ground host tries to tell you it's closing-tell her she's up in the night, get her name and report her for lying to climbers. Don't park in the campground unless you pay a day fee, there is plenty of parking on the road and you get to enjoy an exciting walk across the river on a log!

screamer

Jun 14, 2002, 8:36 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I talked to the camp ground host yesterday (6/13/02) and she said the forest service is going to charge climbers/hikers $6 per car to park and climb at Division or an ungodly amount of $6 per person to walk in and climb at Division...Who knows i see major problems with this, how are they going to enforce walkins??. I guess we will soon see...

grayhghost

Jun 14, 2002, 9:16 AM
Post #4 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a run-in with this same angry host who tried to get my belayer to pay her $6 while she was belaying me on a route! When my belayer rufused to let go of her brake hand and get out her wallet the host threatened to call the Sheriff and have us both arrested. I talked to the forest service and the sheriff and they said there is NO WAY the host can charge climbers to climb on the walls behind the campsites and the host can only charge cars that park in the campsites a daily fee. End of story.

rocknpowda

Jun 14, 2002, 9:19 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WHAT IS UP WITH THE CAMPGROUND HOST DOWN THERE.

It sounds like you ran into the same lady we did. She told us the crag was closing because climbers didn't pay this mysterious "day use" fee that we argued too much. What do you expect when you're trying to charge a fee that people don't legally have to pay?

John Logan is the recreation director at the Forest Service office in Provo. We should get a hold of him or whomever is the appropriate contact and let them know about the harassment climbers are recieving at the Division Wall.

[ This Message was edited by: rocknpowda on 2002-06-14 09:27 ]

screamer

Jun 14, 2002, 9:28 AM
Post #6 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, it was the older lady, drivin' around in her golf cart..She was actually pretty nice to me, she was blaming the fees on the forest service and said she couldn't do anything about...

alpinerock

Jun 3, 2003, 5:22 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

evil lady in the golf cart [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lol, before i started climbing me and my friends would rappel there(right next to campsite 33, BTW does anyone know the name of the route right there?)but one of us would always be at the top to keep watch so that if she came we could all run up the cliff

snowrocker

Jul 15, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Re: evil lady in the golf cart [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate that woman

screamer

Jul 18, 2003, 6:54 AM
Post #9 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic is old hat. There is no fee to climb at Division, unless you camp or park there. Parking is on the main road by the exit to the campground and you walk in, free.

granitegod

Jul 21, 2003, 1:37 AM
Post #10 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Grumpy hosts and climbing fees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had a similar experience with the host at Big Cottonwood's Storm Mountain Picnic Area.

We "snuck" in by hiking from above the dam, across the field to do Goodro's Wall. He yelled at us loudly that we had to pay, and wouldn't leave us alone until we left (we had no money). Then, we went and did another route across the road....after which finishing in the dark, a sheriff was waiting for us at my truck!

Campgrounds and picnic areas are Federal Fee Areas (just like all of AF Canyon)...... any use, even walking through to climbs not actually in the fee area, requires a fee. Walk In's at Storm Mtn. are only $2.00 ....not bad in my opinion, but not a great precedent, either. And you know that fee will only go up. Climbers forced to pay should demand that some of the funds we pay go to maintain what we're paying for --- climbing areas: trails, bolts, signs.....deluxe belay seats?

So how do we change this rediculous federal rules? Don't wast your time calling Utah's Congressmen.......join the Access Fund instead!!

brianinslc

Jul 22, 2003, 9:13 AM
Post #11 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lol, before i started climbing me and my friends would rappel there(right next to campsite 33, BTW does anyone know the name of the route right there?)but one of us would always be at the top to keep watch so that if she came we could all run up the cliff

Patty Baby? Fun route...I recall shortening the distance between bolts by stuffin' a #4 camalot in one of the holes...

Brian in SLC

brianinslc

Jul 22, 2003, 9:18 AM
Post #12 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Re: Grumpy hosts and climbing fees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have had a similar experience with the host at Big Cottonwood's Storm Mountain Picnic Area.

We "snuck" in by hiking from above the dam, across the field to do Goodro's Wall. He yelled at us loudly that we had to pay, and wouldn't leave us alone until we left (we had no money). Then, we went and did another route across the road....after which finishing in the dark, a sheriff was waiting for us at my truck!

Walk In's at Storm Mtn. are only $2.00

Whoa...when was this?

I've never paid a fee at Storm Mountain for walk in climbing. I thought this got all straightened out with the FS a couple years ago.

What did the Sheriff say?

Climbers aren't really using the facilitys (except for the bathrooms, which, the FS was fine with).

Do tell! This is something for the SLCA, Access Fund and AAC to work. Is this recent, or a few years ago? Anyone know if there's been a policy change at Storm Mountain??

Brian in SLC

brianinslc

Jul 22, 2003, 9:43 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Re: Grumpy hosts and climbing fees [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just chatted with the Forest Service...

Storm Mountain climbing day use is NO FEE. You can't use any of the facilities except for the bathrooms (ie no use of the picnic tables or fire pits).

If you recently got hassled by the camp hosts about paying for just climbing, the FS needs to know so that can REinform the hosts that climbers do not pay to walk in and climb.

Brian in SLC

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$14.36 (10% off)
$12.36 (10% off)
$103.46 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook