Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hobbes2834

Nov 26, 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #1 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

ems.com codes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

do you guys know any ems coupon codes that work right now?
thank you

atg200

Nov 26, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #2 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Re: ems.com codes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is completely unethical. asshat.

rpiontek

Nov 27, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #3 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i thought sharing info was the point of the "Great Deals" section? if ems had recently sent me a promo code by e-mail, say getting 20% off I'd be happy to share it here. that's because i think it sucks for me if I pay full price and someone else gets a discount just because they know the secret code word. besides, the whole point of those codees is to encourage you to buy!

reno

Nov 27, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #4 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i thought sharing info was the point of the "Great Deals" section? if ems had recently sent me a promo code by e-mail, say getting 20% off I'd be happy to share it here. that's because i think it sucks for me if I pay full price and someone else gets a discount just because they know the secret code word. besides, the whole point of those codees is to encourage you to buy!

The point of the "Great Deals" section is to post up something like "FYI, Joe Bloe's Mountain Sports in Buzzard Breath Wyoming is having a sale on ropes this week... all ropes are 80% off, so get one while they last!"

It is not for immoral or unethical sharing of "secret" codes to get cheaper deals. If, say, REI sends me, Reno, a coupon code as a reward for my spending of $5,000 this year at REI, that code is for ME, not anyone else.

I'm with ATG200 on this... the OP was asking for unethical info.

chitown_coop

Nov 27, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #5 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally disagree. Most coupon codes are just $15 off an order of $100 or more, or straight up 10% off or something. That's all that the first poster was asking for. Those things are sent out in mass mailings and the like and ARE to encourage people to buy from a certain dealer. There is absolutely nothing unethical about sharing such information. There have been dozens of such codes posted in this forum before, and this is the first time I've seen someone complain about them.

mbez

Nov 27, 2004, 4:19 PM
Post #6 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right now, EMS has a sale going on where you can get 20% off the most expensive item, 15% off the next and 10% of the third. They routinely have 10% for members of outdoor organizations. You want more? They gotta stay in business!

unrooted

Nov 30, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #7 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you spend 5 grand at REI I think your unethical. I guarantee if you spend 5 grand a year on gear any local shop would give you at least %10 off. If I knew of any coupons for EMS I would gladly share them.

REI currently has a 20% off coupon right now ( HVHAY ) but can only be used at this site:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/sales_and_events/HV1123_9_1.html?cm_ven=email&cm_cat=hv&cm_pla=na&cm_ite=11_23_hv

and everything at normal retail if 25% off at Bent Gate www.bentgate.com

alienathome

Nov 30, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #8 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You all are missing the bigger picture here...

Why would anyone want to buy the terrible crap that EMS sells anyway? I couldn't in good conscience let anyone who actually climbs buy their gear there. EMS is for urban and suburban yuppies who need the most expensive EMS softshell to get in the Land Rover and pick up a mocha latte at Starbucks.

Partner robdotcalm

Nov 30, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #9 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Why would anyone want to buy the terrible crap that EMS sells anyway? I couldn't in good conscience let anyone who actually climbs buy their gear there. EMS is for urban and suburban yuppies who need the most expensive EMS softshell to get in the Land Rover and pick up a mocha latte at Starbucks.

That seems a bit harsh. This summer I bought their TL Summit pack for cragging for about $100. It works fine, had the features I wanted and is suitable for carrying a lot of trad gear. I don't own a Land Rover and don't drink coffee.

Vale, robertusPunctumPacificus

sustainedclimber

Nov 30, 2004, 9:34 PM
Post #10 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too bought the Summit TL pack this summer. I've had similar success with it as a cragging pack. Actually I worked at EMS this summer and made use of the employee discount plenty. EMS gets a bad rap. Yes it's now a large corporation and this contrasts painfully with the orignally intended audience of hardcore outdoor sports fanatics. This unfortunate difference is the reason they have changed into a "yuppie paradise." Really, you must blame our society for this problem. Good day to all.

-Josh

jcinco

Nov 30, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #11 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I call BS on this being unethical. EMS has regular deals for 20% off, and they are usually advertised heavily.

Guess what folks? EMS wants people to buy stuff with these deals. Its called trying to attract business. Else, they wouldn't have advertised the sales in the first place.

I got a mass mailing flyer recently from EMS that has the 20/15/10 deal mentioned above. They also have a different deal, on different gear, for every day in December. I don't have the flyer with me. If you call them and ask about the sale flyer, I'm sure they will send it to you, or tell you about the deals. They might even just go ahead and just give you the deal without the coupon code.

mbez

Nov 30, 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #12 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I've found EMS gear to be cheap (especially if it's on sale), dependable and not yuppified. The yuppies generally aren't wearing store brands, instead it's North Face or some name brand like that.

On the other hand, who cares if yuppies wear it? I like their stuff.

gds

Nov 30, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #13 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Why would anyone want to buy the terrible crap that EMS sells anyway? I couldn't in good conscience let anyone who actually climbs buy their gear there.

So is the Petzl harness EMS sells a lot worse than the one for sale at your local shop?

Partner drector

Nov 30, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #14 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are numerous huge websites that post coupon codes. If this were somehow illegal or unwanted then the stores would have an easy time shutting them down. Of course there is NOTHING in the delivery of these coupon codes that says it is a secret so it is totally fine to give them to your friends. At least this applies to ALL of the coupon codes I have ever gotten since I do read the fine print and then give these to interested friends.

A google search of "coupon code" revealed www.couponcabin.com as the top hit with many more to follow. REI, for instance, is having a coupon sale.

Dave

alienathome

Dec 1, 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #15 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've found EMS gear to be cheap

That's exactly it right there. EMS stuff is second rate. It's made in a factory in China (also the same factory where TNF is stitched) where workers are treated terribly.

And no, gds, obviously the Petzl harness isn't crap. I was referring to EMS brand equipment/clothing.

So ethically speaking, I think that it would be much better to buy from my local shop instead of the big box store, and that it would be better to support a company that doesn't make second rate merchandise at the expense of workers' well being. It is nice to get that little note from Patagonia telling me that my purchase helped support fair trade and worker's rights.

cutiger

Dec 1, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #16 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just so you all know, there's a site just for this. It is naughtycodes.com and it has plenty of store codes. I don't think ems is on there, but there's plenty of helpful others.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 1, 2004, 2:25 AM
Post #17 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've found EMS gear to be cheap

That's exactly it right there. EMS stuff is second rate. It's made in a factory in China (also the same factory where TNF is stitched) where workers are treated terribly..... I was referring to EMS brand equipment/clothing.

So ethically speaking, I think that it would be much better to buy from my local shop instead of the big box store, and that it would be better to support a company that doesn't make second rate merchandise at the expense of workers' well being. It is nice to get that little note from Patagonia telling me that my purchase helped support fair trade and worker's rights.

Hey, I like Patgonia and what they do, too, but you're dissing EMS stuff here.....

The EMS brand is what is known as a private label. As an extremely simplistic explanation, the R&D department at EMS goes directly to a factory to develop these products, thus cutting out the cost of a 3rd party vendor. OR they go to those 3rd party vendors and review the product line. Instead of having that product's label, they will have the goods produced with the EMS tag. Usually, there is some change that goes on when they do this, so the products aren't completly identical. Or, they may change specs more drastically, in order to hit a price point or make a certain mark-up. The EMS stuff is made in the same factory's as any brand name goods.

That said, when I shop at EMS, I do look at all the options, from all the vendors. Usually the EMS brand does seem less desireable to me. But the price is usually cheaper than the other choice, too. I will spend the extra money for the nicer product, but many are very happy with the lower quality at the better price.

monkey_toes

Dec 3, 2004, 2:47 AM
Post #18 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Whoa a bit below the belt there pal. I own a landy and I'm not a yuppie. I drink coffee but not that namby pamby latte stuff - and my landy is more often than not covered in mud and crap. And yes it does go off road.

But you are about right when it comes to EMS - they are in the same league as TNF (mass produced crap).

The thing that amazes me about EMS is that they have the ordasity to charge just as much for their private brand stuff as they charge for the "name brand stuff".

That being said I don't think that EMS are quite the Wal-Mart of the outdoor world yet :lol:

tradmanclimbs

Dec 3, 2004, 2:54 AM
Post #19 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had good luck with most of the ems stuff that I buy. I don't see what the big huff is. there is not a small gear store in my town and if there was it would be selling stuff manufactured By companys even bigger than ems so whats the big deal??

climb512

Nov 10, 2005, 9:58 PM
Post #20 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EMS and MEC in Canada have the same philosophy. They take an existing product, made by Patagonia for example, take it a factory and get replicas made with EMS/MEC label. They sell cheaper because they have no R and D expense.
Works out for the consumer, as you can get similar gear, cheaper. Unfortunately it hurts the guys that are actually paying for the R and D and have to sell for a higher price. Even guys like Patagonia are using manufacturing plants in third world countries. My Mix Master jacket is assembled in Columbia. So they all cut corners where they can.
Personally, I will try on all gear, whomever made it, if it fits better, has better features that is the one I buy. Some of the time it is EMS brand. Never have had a problem with any EMS clothing or boots.

qqac

Nov 10, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #21 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I routinely find excellent EMS brand softgoods -- just as trick as Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardwear and others. Granted, you have to look harder for these, as most of the EMS label softgoods are less technical. You should be aware that the CEO of EMS within the past couple of years has made a re-commitment to offering good technical gear and not continuing down the path of being a yuppie, pseudo-outdoors store.

three6ty

Nov 10, 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #22 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alienathome-- Jealously is a bitter pill!!!!! The Land Rover and Starbucks calls!!!!! :twisted:

"let he who hath never sinned cast the first coupon code"

landgolier

Nov 11, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #23 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aaaaaaaaaaaaand another year old thread gets revived. If you have coupon codes, put them in hot deals. If you want to bitch about EMS, start a thread in gearheads.

montafoner

Nov 11, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #24 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to get my discount the ethical way. When does EMS have it's next sale? Is it before Christmas or do I have to wait until January?

crimpstrength

Nov 11, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #25 of 30 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They have that big one around Thanksgiving. Every year at Lake Placid EMS it is nuts, almost not worth going in.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook