Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cloudbreak

Dec 1, 2004, 5:47 PM
Post #26 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Re: parents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe try to get them to go with you next time you climb. By showing them what your doing....safety, gear, etc., they might have different perspective on it, not to mention see how happy you are out there doing it.

rangertau

Dec 1, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #27 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing gear are durable goods. These durable goods support a hobby that mentally and physically engages one. This produces a person with strong mind and body, disciplined, and able to adapt and overcome obstacles not just in climbing but in life itself. Therefore climbing gear is an investment in oneself and life.

I use this line of argument all the time on my wife.

outdoorclimber

Dec 1, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #28 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One important issue that should be discussed is a rule about non-disclosure of the insane things you will do on road trips. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT tell your parents about the 30 foot whipper, or the placement that blew. Else, the extent of your climbing will be looking for fun boulder problems in the house.

esljunkie34

Dec 1, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #29 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha... climbing can be expensive. but so's any sport. u could always go to REI and buy stuff there. lifetime warranty of all its gear. may save u some money in the process. stick to bouldering as it requires the least amount of money. when u get out of the house and get good, u can mess around with all the other equipment like axes, clips, biners, etc.

outdoorclimber

Dec 1, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #30 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One important issue that should be discussed is a rule about non-disclosure of the insane things you will do on road trips. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT tell your parents about the 30 foot whipper, or the placement that blew. Else, the extent of your climbing will be looking for fun boulder problems in the house.

petsfed

Dec 1, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #31 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nice one, J, but last time I tried the whole 'I'd be so much safer if I had X, Y, and Z from so-and-so gear catalogue, pg. 22 section A', my mom just looked at me and said, 'well if you don't have the necessary equipment maybe you shouldn't be doing it'.

i love my mom cause she worries about me without interfering in my life. she understands that you gotta do what you gotta do.

k.

Funny, when my mother tried that argument with me, she almost got all the way to "shouldn't" before my dad (who used to climb himself and gave me most of his equipment) stopped her and said "He's going to climb whether we get him gear or not. Let's try to keep him safe."

Then I got a helmet for my birthday. It was great.

greyicewater

Dec 1, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #32 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my parents are just happy that i'm not spending my money on drugs... oh wait... all my money is going towards my car, so i'm not spending it on climbing either. damn...

send513

Dec 1, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #33 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mine just wish I would choose less dangerous hobbies...

I rock climb, ride horses, and am into karate at a high level...

I have lost count of the accidents and injuries I have gotten, but I do remember that I ended up in Shock Trauma at UMD overnight once - DOH!

mb_brick

Dec 1, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #34 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"I wouldn't mind at all if my children spent their money on climbing gear. Because I am a climber myself... "

"I see so many of my sons 13 yo's class mates that are over weight, pale, and sickley because they take advantage of the electronic entertainment age we live in...."

"I take it your parents don't climb which makes it difficult for them to understand. They can't see it from your perspective."

I take it you don't game which makes it difficult for you to understand.

Sorry about the thread jack here but I've got to stand up for the art form. My point was that climbing enriches your life whether or not your parents understand how or why, just as I have always found games artistically and intellectually stimulating, in spite of the objections of my elders. I just had no climbing examples from my youth for this thread, since I didn't climb then.

That being said, I must applaud you encouraging your children to do active things in addition to their leisure activities. It’s not the games them selves making kids fat, but rather an imbalance of leisure activities dominating their lives. Also, I hear nutrition has something to do with it. :)

So, zakr, no offence taken. Spending all your time just sitting around isn't good for anybody, whether you're gaming, reading or whatever.

climber_kid

Dec 1, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #35 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks

yamama

Dec 2, 2004, 5:20 AM
Post #36 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well as far as the "rents" thing goes mine like the fact that i have something to do, but don't like buying gear for my birthday and xmas... I still think it's funny when they ask what i want and i say GEAR!
Here is something to think about, you should climb with some friends and see if you like it enough to buy your own gear. To climb with friends all you need is a harness and some shoes. And if you don't like it after a while you only spent about $150-200 and you can sell it on ebay for about half the price so ur only out like 100. That's how i would think about it.

noface

Dec 2, 2004, 5:36 AM
Post #37 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My "rents" are my belayer (dad) and screamer every time I slip (mom). They understand the obsesion but try don't ondone gear I don't need. Like aliens or a gri-gri.

jamaica

Dec 2, 2004, 6:10 AM
Post #38 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They might be skeptical because they're ignorant, just show'em you know your stuff and it's a safe sport (don't show them broken ankle pics though)

Jamaica 8^)

yamama

Dec 2, 2004, 6:46 AM
Post #39 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's right jamaica, or even tell the the story about a friend getting hurt at doing something you plan on doing. Just tell them all the good things and hope they don't look into it and see some pic of a guys foot that is all bloody, or some guy solo'n up some 800+ rock!

addiroids

Dec 2, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #40 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing gear is a waste of money. Just wait till you start doing walls. Better investment is a Roth IRA.

But how's that going to help your climbing?

Ask for a rack for Christmas. Then you are not wasting YOUR money, but THEIR money.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

chanceboarder

Dec 2, 2004, 7:50 AM
Post #41 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in my case there's my mom who doesn't really care that i climb but often says i shouldn't spend so much money to go out and climb all the time when i'm always broke, and then theres my dad who just gave me $400 as an early birthday and christmas present to buy new cams and stuff.

i say take your parents climbing and get them addicted to it then you'll be the one trying to stop them from spending your college fund on a new rack :lol: anything is possible right?

jason

Partner beanricecheese

Dec 2, 2004, 7:59 AM
Post #42 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are just trying to be responsible. They don't climb and they think climbing will get you killed therefore they 1. think it is a waste of money and 2. don't want you doing it cause you will die.
Simple as that. If your parents don't let you buy what you want then that sucks and what are they gonna do? Ground you? Not let you go climing... shit you will be out of the house soon enough and then you can do what you want. If your parents thoughts about climbing being a waste of time then they will prove right if you quit climbing and have 1000's of dollars of gear in your closet.

moroneyp

Dec 2, 2004, 4:34 PM
Post #43 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking from personal experience, you just have to wait for your parents to get used to the idea of you climbing. Me and my brother climb and our parents are convinced that we're going to kill ourselves. (Or each other, depending on the situation... :wink: )
But after we had been climbing for a while, they actually offered to drive to one of the places we climb!!
So just give it time and you'll see!!

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Dec 2, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #44 of 44 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my parents are nice people but sometimes I think their holding me back on climbing they try to convice me to not to buy climbing gear they think it will be a wast of money. Whats your oppinion?But still their great parents and am glad I have them.

None - if you earn the money - they've got no say... Love my parents to death as well...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook