Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Tenney Crags??? Colorado Springs
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mackavus

Dec 3, 2004, 9:22 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Tenney Crags??? Colorado Springs  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Front_Range: Cheyenne_Canyon_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok. Well bear with me as I am pretty new to the area and havent gotten the feel for the maps yet but.

I was hiking in Cheyenne yesterday. I parked at the High Drive start and hiked up past Cpn. Jacks and down the other side to the Bear Creek Trail. and took that up to Mt. Buckhorn. Now, as you look to your west northwest across the canyon, there is a good sized mountain that stands to what appears to be at 10,000 maybe 10,5. The southern side that you see after you hike the majority of the canyon is littered with rock. There are however 2 huge outcrops that stand out. They look a few hundred feet high. On my map, these might be the Tenney Crags. Or, Tenney Crags may be the name of the mountain. Either way, they look like a formidable adventure. The approach would be a bitch in the winter, but it looks fun. I know a lot of the rock in this area is rotten, but they may be solid from the looks of them.

My questions are: What the hell am I looking at? Is the the Tenney Crags?
Does anyone know if these formations have been climbed? If so, good rock or rotten as hell? Routes? FAs?

Spanks, Chris.

mackavus

Dec 3, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tenney Crags??? Colorado Springs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump. (sorry I'm eager to know)

mackavus

Dec 4, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another Bump.

Update:

I lost my cell phone on the Bear Creek Canyon trail. If anyone hikes it and finds it you will be cool.

I think the formations I am looking at may be calle Specimen and Sentinel Rock... dont know for sure though.

Come on...someone has to know what the hell I am talking about...

climbhoser

Dec 4, 2004, 8:04 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, those are Grand Specimen and Sentinel, and I know of climbing on one of them. I can't remember which is the southern more one, but it's the littler one and has a nice .10b/.10d right up the east face. I think it's about 6p in length, and has a few variations. Check out Rock and Ice Vlume #95, I think or get in touch with Stewart Green, he has beta to the T, and may have even been the FA party. I believe he has a website, www.stewartgreen.com or something, google it.

It's a burly as hell climb, but well worth the approach. As for Sentinel, the northern one, I've hiked up to it and checked it out, but the rock is like most of the other PP Granite around, really chossy seeming.

PM me or e-mail me at climbhoser@yahoo.com. If you can't get ahold of anyone else I can dig out the topo and maybe get a copy your way...at least get you pitch by pitch beta and the approach to it. Also ask at Mountain Chalet if you're really interested. I'd go do it with ya, but I'm livin' Midwest right now, and although I'll be around for x-mas I'm worried I couldn't muster it for the crux after the giant turkeyfest that was thanksgiving.

peas

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.56 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook