Forums: Climbing Partners: US - Mountain States:
Front Range Snow Sliders Backcountry Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

cologman

Nov 28, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #151 of 568 (49011 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

They may be 100% open but with only 46" and 1" of new it doesn't sound like they are really "In" yet.

beckerw

Nov 28, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #152 of 568 (49011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no gary...i think this mihg tbe the excuse i need to get a split board! 8^) then shanna can have the snowshoes.

no pit. though today would scare me more. there was a definite wind crust on most of the run unitl you got to the runout section/terrain trap. it didn't seem wind loaded, but i am perhaps too new.

yeah, i saw the monarch's snow report. sounds reFRESHing. we might be up for it tue.

killclimbz

Nov 28, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #153 of 568 (49011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
no gary...i think this mihg tbe the excuse i need to get a split board! 8^) then shanna can have the snowshoes.

no pit. though today would scare me more. there was a definite wind crust on most of the run unitl you got to the runout section/terrain trap. it didn't seem wind loaded, but i am perhaps too new.

yeah, i saw the monarch's snow report. sounds reFRESHing. we might be up for it tue.

Sweet, lets stay in touch. Either way, I think Tuesday is going to be big, where ever we go. I am going to watch the snow totals through tomorrow, then I'll get in touch with you by tomorrow evening. Should be a good crew. Steven and Heather from the Wildy Sexchange are probably going to join us.

wannabe

Nov 29, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #154 of 568 (49011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just checked the Monarch ski are, they got 25" in the last 48 hrs :P . Sounds like the Monarch pass I know. Could be pretty good there. Thinking that Monarch Pass is a distinct possibility on Tuesday. Vince, do you think that would give the area enough coverage?

KC, I think Monarch will be pretty good right now. 8^) I spent yesterday Skiing Northstar, the roadside crowd was well away from me. :D . Plenty of cover in spots, there was probably 12"of new, I think Monarch got twice that. There were a lot of folks out yesterday...If you don't like crowds, start early and skin in further.

Enjoy tomorrow, are you still planning on Fri?

climb14er

Nov 29, 2004, 8:16 PM
Post #155 of 568 (49011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Martha, the Grand Traverse is one tough mo-fo race in the dead of the winter. I've skied the 39 miles in late winter, early spring after breaking up the couse with an overnite at one of the huts, I think it's Friends' Hut. I know some of the skiers who've completed and they're all top notch adventure racer and uber athlete types. It can get very cold especially at night and frostbite is something to be careful about. I wonder if anyone from this board has actually competed in the race. There are usually not a lot of entries, maybe fifty to one hundred two person teams. This is probably the toughest x-c/b.c. race in Colorado.

killclimbz

Nov 29, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #156 of 568 (49011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Just checked the Monarch ski are, they got 25" in the last 48 hrs :P . Sounds like the Monarch pass I know. Could be pretty good there. Thinking that Monarch Pass is a distinct possibility on Tuesday. Vince, do you think that would give the area enough coverage?

KC, I think Monarch will be pretty good right now. 8^) I spent yesterday Skiing Northstar, the roadside crowd was well away from me. :D . Plenty of cover in spots, there was probably 12"of new, I think Monarch got twice that. There were a lot of folks out yesterday...If you don't like crowds, start early and skin in further.

Yeah, we are on for Friday. I'm not sure if I am going to do Monarch tomorrow, but if not, perhaps Monarch Friday? It's definitely in your neck o' the woods.

wannabe

Nov 29, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #157 of 568 (49011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, we are on for Friday. I'm not sure if I am going to do Monarch tomorrow, but if not, perhaps Monarch Friday? It's definitely in your neck o' the woods.

Kewl! Monarch sounds good on Fri. so does just about anything else right now. :wink:

iceisnice

Nov 29, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #158 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was up to my waste in powder on molas pass this weekend!! faces are too dangerous, but the trees are pretty freakin sweet! if anyone wants to help me break trail anywhere in the san juans, let me know.

killclimbz

Nov 29, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #159 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
was up to my waste in powder on molas pass this weekend!! faces are too dangerous, but the trees are pretty freakin sweet! if anyone wants to help me break trail anywhere in the san juans, let me know.

Man I would love too. Maybe later in the season we can do a San Juan trip. I was browsing the CAIC website. Looks like the avy danger is pretty high right now. I'll definitely be riding in the trees tomorrow.

iceisnice

Nov 29, 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #160 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, let me know. i live in durango now, so you can always crash at my place. yeah, its a curse, high avy danger usually means tons of sweet powder!!! arrrrrggghhh

killclimbz

Dec 1, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #161 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I got up the Berthoud Pass yesterday. They got nailed up there by this last storm. I would say over two feet fell! :shock: Stayed within the old ski area, since the avy danger was high, and some of the people we were with, were not really set up for a long tour anyway. That turned out to be just fine. We had tons of untracked throughout the area and a good time was had by all.
Saturday is looking to be a good day to play on the divide, if the avy danger goes down. Stuff is covered. Anyone want in?

killclimbz

Dec 1, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #162 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
KC - sounds just about right, but butt-feck cold! It was 20 below when I got up yesterday and today as well.

Stay warm and avoid frostbite, all.....

Yeah, it was a little cold. The CAIC reported that Tabernash had a low temp of 30 below :shock: ! It was a bit chilly. Still pretty easy to avoid frostbite when you are suffering to get to the top of the ridges and such. Bring some warm layers and extra gloves of course. So Skibs you gonna get out this weekend?

killclimbz

Dec 2, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #163 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is looking more and more like we are going to be hitting up Monarch Pass tomorrow. Anyone down in that area that wants to join in? Anyone want to go out in general?

killclimbz

Dec 2, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #164 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know some were aware that Quandary had a skier triggered release last weekend. The guy who did this did an extensive post on the TGR forum about what happened and some of the mistakes he made. He was lucky to be able to locate his pooch in time to save her. It's a pretty good reminder for all of us about bad decision making, and being ready to act when those decisions put you in a life or death situation. I think I am going to go practice some more with my beacon now...

beckerw

Dec 3, 2004, 4:56 AM
Post #165 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow...good TR. a wakeup for sure...or at least sobering...makesyou think especially when i see other people around BP with out shovel/beacon/probe.

anyone out there want to get out sat. or sun?

crazyfingers

Dec 3, 2004, 3:40 PM
Post #166 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey folks, this is a great thread. I've been lurking for a while and it looks like you've all been having a blast in the back country. I am going to off the week between xmas and new years and am looking to get into the back country. New to snow shoeing, but a more experienced skier... anyone got some time off that week to show the new guy around a popular powder stash or two along the front range?

Kyle

Partner nextascent

Dec 3, 2004, 9:00 PM
Post #167 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yay...6 days last week in the snow playing! Thx to Shorty for the great ski demo review (ask him to put it here). Found a brand new forum specific to CO skiing. May wanna check it out. (I'm there as Rdy2Ski..which is what I use on the skier forums hahaha). The link is second site in my sig .

Partner nextascent

Dec 4, 2004, 8:09 PM
Post #168 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, Lisa,

Once a skibabeage, always a skibabeage! Hope to see you on the forum (although the format looks SUSPICIOUSLY like RC.com! :lol: )

Skibs

PS I might be heading out Janeside this weekend - if not tomorrow early then on Sunday while everyone's watching the Bronco's game.

Yay...I saw your name as most recent registered user. I should probably keep the same names for every forum (duh that would be much easier I know). Gettin lots of days out? Hey are guys getting slammed? The folks I talk to at Breck and KS are really getting the bookings.

Partner nextascent

Dec 5, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #169 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keystone is having Demo days tomorrow (and today but I'm a little late).

killclimbz

Dec 5, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #170 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey folks, this is a great thread. I've been lurking for a while and it looks like you've all been having a blast in the back country. I am going to off the week between xmas and new years and am looking to get into the back country. New to snow shoeing, but a more experienced skier... anyone got some time off that week to show the new guy around a popular powder stash or two along the front range?

Kyle

Hey Kyle, you're more than welcome to get out with us. I've got a couple midweek days and Saturdays. Though this Saturday I am doing a little moonlighting at the Wilderness Exchange so I am out. Tuesday and Friday are good this week though.
Monarch pass was pretty good this week (read: SICK) Wannabe, Myself, and Beckerw's SO had a blast. Vince about killed us on the hikes up. That guy is a rocket. I think if we attached tow ropes to him, he still wouldn't break a sweat.
Hit Berthoud pass yesterday with Beckerw, found a tree shot with 3-4ft deep fluffy light pow. We also found a key boulder drop there onto a perfect apron. Unfortunately my skins got snow under them on the hike back up the steep slope and I had to bail out. Will just missed the nice line off of the boulder, but it's definitely one to go back to. It's getting really good out there and we are supposed to get another shot of snow this week.
So Lisa, Kyle you guys definitely need to get in on it. I think Vince said it best on Friday...people pay thousands of dallors to get a helicopter ride to ski what we just did.... 8^).

wannabe

Dec 6, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #171 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be advised, there will be no rope tows! :D I had a great time on Sat. thank you KC and S. Again, the snow was great!

I caught some sort of stomach virus yesterday and It completely wrecked me. I thought I was going to get out today but I had to put that on hold. I should be out Sat. if anyone wants to get in some turns.

Vince

killclimbz

Dec 8, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #172 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going out on Friday, if anyone cares to join. I'll probably hit Berthoud Pass, I got a couple of lines in my back pocket that have yet to be done this season. Should be super deep snow. I am also up for some different areas, Willow Creek pass, or Cameron Pass are of interest. Anyone in? Unfortunately I am out for Saturday, I promise I'll be getting weekends sometime around the first of the year.

killclimbz

Dec 12, 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #173 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Friday was good at the pass, once again. The avy danger is a little high right now, nasty wind slabs, but there was some good stuff in the trees. There is a tenative plan to go down to Monarch pass on Tuesday if anyone cares to join. Somebody down south perhaps?
I'm off on Saturday too, so any of you weekend warriors who want to get out please ring in :P

Partner uitdoorqi

Dec 13, 2004, 6:43 AM
Post #174 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a good plan. I got my first punch on my season pass for skiing off piste in the only areas that had powder at Keystone. Not much sympathy from the ski patrol for a guy looking for a good, uncrowded, powder ride....

:roll:

killclimbz

Dec 13, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #175 of 568 (49019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sounds like a good plan. I got my first punch on my season pass for skiing off piste in the only areas that had powder at Keystone. Not much sympathy from the ski patrol for a guy looking for a good, uncrowded, powder ride....

:roll:

You've been marked!! :lol:
Saturday should be a decent day. If we don't get much in the way of snow, I've got a good hike to a great line in mind. Should be plenty of pow pow while others are just riding pack :wink: .

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook