Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Little Rock City Guide
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

onacliff

Dec 16, 2004, 5:03 AM
Post #1 of 6 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Little Rock City Guide  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Eastern: Little_Rock_City)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a trip through tennessee on the way down to HP40 for a couple weeks and thought stopping through Little Rock City on the way would be a good way to break up the drive. I was wondering if anybody has a guide that they would like to share or knows where i can find one, or even has some suggestions about what are the classics and must do problems while I'm there. I hear there may be a guide from the recent triple crown comp???
Thanks for the info
Brian

mountnotyalc

Dec 16, 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #2 of 6 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Re: Little Rock City Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the problems might still be marked from the recent triple crown comp....

Partner neuroshock

Dec 16, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 6 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the problems might still be marked from the recent triple crown comp....
that was all removed that day/sunday after.

Partner neuroshock

Dec 16, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #4 of 6 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, and you'll want to read this (guidelines to access to LRC)

please don't endanger access to LRC by not adhering to the guidelines.

and, yes, those passes are first-come, first-serve and you can only get them the *day of*, which being on the road may require you to find a kinko's or internet cafe, etc. i've quoted some information that you may find useful in this regard.

have a great time, it's an awesome place!

In reply to:
Use kinkos, rock creek, tba, cyber lan, local coffee shop or other public internet. For sure, it can be a little obnoxious to go through this hassle - BUT - the end result is worth it if we can keep climbing at LRC for years to come. It is very important to remember that this is private land next to a golf course (I think people too easily forget that) and we are guests there. At any moment we can be kicked out so it is imperative that we follow the land owners wishes.
In reply to:
There is a Kinkos on 153 that we have used the few time we have gone up there. It opens early and the cost to use the internet and print out a sheet of paper are very small.
In reply to:
A hand written pass is okay - as long as you have registered that day. Simply copy down exactly what would be on a printed pass and put that in your car window.

Cars will begin being towed. Period. No pass - risk your car being towed. I like the boot idea, because I don't want to tow a car - HOWEVER - for the time being we have no boot, so towing is our only option to enforce people to comply. The signs in the parking area warn you of this. End of discussion.

One of Mr. Luken's requests was that our system be set up so that the people who work in the club house are not bothered. REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY TELL YOU, they have no authority in the agreement we have with Mr. Luken. The agreement we have with him states that all users must have a pass, that there will be a maximum of 35 people or 20 cars allowed, that if you break the rules you are subject to being kicked out and having your car towed.

We have toyed with the idea of being able to get passes early, but there are several problems with this. In the end, we decided that it is best to have the system the way it is.

I have toyed with the idea of making the pass system WAP enabled so people can use a mobile phone or blackberry type device that has internet access to get a pass. If anyone knows a programmer who knows how to do this and they would donate their time, please have them get in touch with me.

Please pass the word to your friends that CARS WILL START GETTING TOWED.

myrmidon

Dec 16, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #5 of 6 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the most generous things the locals in the area have done is given legal access to this fantastic area to so many. At the same time however, their registration system is buggy, somewhat confusing and open to gaming and abuse by both the innocent offender and the genuine nonresponsible buffoon. As frustrating and confusing though it may be, compliance is compulsory.

Word is that a new breed of aggro may need to happen upon upon those noncomplient. Threats of vehicle towing have been blowing in the winds and a general unhappiness of the land owner could lead to climbing priviledges being revoked.

Vehicles here are safer than at T Wall, unless you get towed!

onacliff

Dec 18, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #6 of 6 (7650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info,
I looked into the access before posting and am aware of the situation. I would probably only stop through there for a couple of days and was hoping there would be some way of finding the classic problems in the area without having to do too much exploring which would take up the limited climbing time there. Does anybody know where i could find something or somebody who would be able to lead me to the best bouldering there and the best problems? Are the good problems easy to find once you get there or is a guidebook of sorts necessary? I was hoping to get on maybe the wave, the pinch, cleopatra,stuff like that, those problems look so beautiful from the videos and pictures ive seen.
Brian

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook