Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
catskills
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

geekguyandy

Dec 18, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2073 views)
Shortcut

catskills  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Moores_Wall: Hanging_Garden)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know there must be more in the Catskills... has anyone climbed rock or ice out there? Please respond to this so I can go climb! Thanks

mgr

Dec 18, 2004, 4:57 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Re: catskills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, for starters, you have the Gunks which are right near the catskills. That is probably the best place for rock climbing. In the catskills there are many good places were you can ice climb. A new ice climbing guide for the catskill region just came out last year. You can pick one up at Rock and Snow. They usually have it.

gunked

Dec 18, 2004, 7:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The good news is that you're within 1 1/2 to 2 hours from some amazing ice climbing. The bad news is that, because of the lack of highways from route 88 to the new paltz area, you're probably at least 2 hours from the gunks. I'm guessing closer to 2+ hours from the cliffs as you have to take 88 to Albany and shoot down 87.

As far as ice climbing goes, there's a bunch of stuff in the Phoenicia and Palenville area. As said, the latest ice climbing guide to the Catskills is your best shot. I'm sure you can order it online or have it sent to you from Rock & Snow in New Paltz. Their number is 845-255-1311.

Good Luck and have fun!

Oh yeah...one more thing...the topouts to most of the ice routes in the catskills are notoriously thin!

-Jason :D

climbersoze

Dec 19, 2004, 7:13 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As far as ice climbing goes, there's a bunch of stuff in the Phoenicia and Palenville area.

Ahhh... Palenville... used to go there all the time as a kid.. had a few good swimmin holes :)

/nostalgia

bennevis

Dec 22, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive also been looking into the Cats ice. It sounds like Stoney Clove is forming, and has the best all-round routes for beginners on up. Kaaterskill Falls is the tallest in NY and has some good looking lines when it's in. It's a good idea to check the conditions at Rock and Snow first.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook