RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

jgill

Dec 22, 2004, 2:33 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Barry Corbet Dies . . .
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Barry Corbet Arrived in Jackson Hole in the mid 1950s, after his freshman year at Dartmouth, where it was rumored he scored the highest grade on the freshman entrance exam ever recorded. He never returned to Dartmouth, however, becoming a mountain guide for Glen Exum at Jenny Lake in the Tetons. He made several first ascents there, including the North Ridge of Teewinot – a nice climb for 1957 – with his friend Jake Breitenbach.

I knew Barry during the late 1950s and bouldered with him occasionally. He was a good rock climber, but he became better known as an impeccable mountaineer and truly outstanding mountain guide. To me, and to many others, Barry was the very paragon of that profession.

Corbet's Couloir, a double-black diamond ski run in Jackson Hole, attests to Barry's skill as a skier.

In 1959, Barry and three companions made the first ascent of the southwest rib of Denali. He considered his finest climb to be the first ascent of Mount Tyree in the Antarctic. And, in 1963, Barry was a member of the American party that made the first ascent of the west ridge of Everest. His best friend, Jake Breitenbach, was killed by an icefall on the lower slopes.

In May of 1968, Barry was filming skiers for Summit Films, Inc., when the helicopter he was riding in crashed near Aspen. His spine was fractured and his legs paralyzed. After rehabilitation, he continued as a filmmaker and writer, and became a concert-level pianist. He became an expert on disability-related issues and founded a magazine on the subject, becoming its editor. He wrote a book entitled "Options: Spinal Cord Injury and the Future", that is in its 10th printing. He also found time to enjoy kayaking, where the effect of his disability was minimized.

Corbet lived for many years in Golden, Colorado. He died of cancer on December 18th.

jmlangford

Dec 22, 2004, 3:33 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Re: Barry Corbet Dies . . . [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear this John. I will pass this info along to my dad. He climbed with Barry and Jake Breitenbach and spoke highly of both of them.

May Barry rest in peace.

cologman

Dec 22, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am saddened to hear of Barry's passing. I had the great pleasure to acompany Barry along with the late Walt Blackadar, Fletcher Anderson and others on one of Barry's first extended river trips down the Salmon River back in the late '70's. His enthusiasm in spite of his handicap is unforgetable. We were on the river approx 4 days and he was ready for more. My hat is off to one of the great mountianeers/outdoorsman an example for all.

Partner rgold

Dec 22, 2004, 6:35 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing career started in, I think, 1957, with an ascent of the Grand guided by Glenn Exum. The next year, I climbed the Exum Ridge and the Southwest Ridge of Symmetry Spire guided by Barry Corbet. He was one of my heros. May he rest in peace.

jgill

Dec 23, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to mention that Barry was 68.

jgill

Dec 23, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to mention that Barry was 68.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook