RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

abcxyz

Jun 11, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Want to take rock climbing trip at Peshastin Pinnacles -HELP
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
I'm thinking of taking a trip next week to Washington and would like to visit Peshastin Pinnacles State Park. I heard there's rock climbing and rappelling there, of which I've done neither, but always wanted to do. Can someone give me some websites of 'outfitters' that provide instruction and day trips for rock climbing and rappelling? Preferably one that does both? Is a one-day 'course' enough to have lots of fun? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Partner russman

Jun 11, 2002, 2:02 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Want to take rock climbing trip at Peshastin Pinnacles -HELP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

abcxyz...

Where are you from...I see yoru profile in not filled out much.

Pheshatin is about 45 min from me...and there are some other users that are way closer than me. what exactly are you looking for? and if we know werhe you live, we mmight be able to help a little better.

Reply here or drop me a PM
The Russman

abcxyz

Jun 11, 2002, 2:10 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Russmann,

I'm from Southern California. Taking a road trip up to Washington. What do I want to do? Well, I want to rock climb and rapel at Peshastin Pinnacles because my friend's condo is near there. But I don't know how to do either one of those, so wanted to take a one-day course or something if there is such a thing...

Partner russman

Jun 11, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #4 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Condo must be in Leavenworth?

let me see...try to get ahold of Cy...he is the closest and would know the best. If nothign else, let me know and maybe we can meet in Wenatchee and go climb at the local gym...not as good a view...but a good place to start for a beginner.

how is that...help any:)

krustyklimber

Jun 11, 2002, 2:37 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your friends condo is close to the pinnacles it is also close to Leavenworth and Icicle Creek.

Icicle Creek would be a better place for you to spend you time for so many reasons. You would like the setting better, being from Cal you've probably driven by and seen more than your fair share of agriculture!
That's what you look over from Peshastin St. Park, not the canyon though, it is spectacular! A roaring river below beautiful granite outcroppings, all in a very sparsly populated deep mountain canyon.

Many of the areas guide services use the canyon and you should be able to find a few to choose from. Icicles rocks are easier to walk to the top of so rappeling and setting up ropes for beginners would be much easier and safer. And I would recommend it over the Pinnacles.

The canyon is about fifteen miles long and runs up to the west. The Pinnacles are about ten miles east of Icicle Canyon's mouth, as the crow flies, downstream on the Wenatchee River. A day of paddling might round out your trip nicely! There's everything from lollygaggin' to Class 5!

Enjoy your time here!

Jeff

Partner russman

Jun 11, 2002, 2:41 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx Jeff...I kinda forgot about you

I have never climbed either...that would be why I forgot Icicle area. Do you know of the specific guides...I dont, that is why I directed him to Cy.

As far as the River goes...I am not sure if the Rafting trips are running yet...but I have been down it once and my dad a copule...it is running way high this season...I want to go again at flood stage...way fun then

abcxyz

Jun 11, 2002, 3:00 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies and the recommendations to Icicle Creek. Know of any outfitter websites?

Yeah, I've looked into the rafting quite extensively and called a few places. I'm going with All Adventures Rafting. Looks like they have lots of experience etc.

krustyklimber

Jun 11, 2002, 3:57 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gimme one day, and I'll PM you or.. heck I'll post some here as soon as I find 'em... but I smell dinner cookin' so it might be late tonight!

Good call on the rafting, good guys!

Jeff

Russ, whadya mean you forgot me!!! I'm unforgetable!!!

krustyklimber

Jun 11, 2002, 5:32 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

O.K. here's what I can do on the short notice, and with the problem that has reared it's ugly head (See "Limping?" thread on the community forum)!

www.aai.com should get you american alpine insitute, good guys but they always beat me to the good campsites.

www.mountainmadness.com will also take you to a group of really great people, and these are the guys I'd go with but that's because I know some of them and I'd like to keep the money among friends.

The Cliff Hanger is the gym in the area, but I didn't have time to look for them. If the guys above are too expensive you may be able to hook up with one of the more "local" guides through the gym.

There is a gear shop over there somewhere, they may also be a good source of guides.

Most guides wiil be able to furnish all the gear you need except your shoes, and some even have those!

I'm sorry that I couldn't do more, but if you need more help give me a little more time and I'll get more info

Gotta go to the E-room now,

Jeff

Partner russman

Jun 11, 2002, 1:16 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Cliffhanger was the gym I was talking about. They could proably give you the name of someone, but it is realy small and I don't think they would have a chance to do anythign other than name-drop. And teh local gear shop you are talking about was Asplunds...and the closed at the first of the year. The only place to buy climibng gear in Wenatchee is now at the Climbing gym...and the last time I was there they had not gotten all their new stuff eyt...not sure what they have.

Drop me a line when you figure out what is up and I will see what I can do.

Jeff....I forgot you being a WETsider still climb over here on the GOOD side of teh state

abcxyz

Jun 12, 2002, 5:40 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all your replies and help. You guys seem very friendly, much more so that the people on the gun boards that I'm a part of too.

I actually want to go out on a real rock, rather than in a gym, just for the experience.

Shoot, I had a website link at work for this one place, it cost $95 from 9am-4pm, and they say they do/teach rock climbing and rappelling. I'll try and find the link tomorrow, and post it to see what you guys think...

Once again, thanks!

abcxyz

Jun 12, 2002, 3:35 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, here's the link I was talking about for that class. Anyone think it's any good?

http://www.riverrecreation.com/Adventures/default.asp

krustyklimber

Jun 12, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah that doesn't look that bad, price seems reasonable. Even though it isn't as good of climbing as the canyon, you probaly don't care (if you don't know what your missing it's hard to miss it) and will have a great time with them!
For me it's like having a really nice neighborhood right next to heaven! It's hard for us to remember the neighborhood is nice, when we get to go climb in heaven on earth.

The Pinnacles is still a very beautiful part of our state, just not the most beautiful! And here in Washington 20 or 30 miles of driving can take you to a whole different looking place!

Like I said before, have fun on your trip here, and be careful!

Jeff

squishclimber

Jun 13, 2002, 10:14 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hola,
Don't bother with Peshastin. The rock is lowww quality sandstone and the routes are not that great. Head to Leavenworth, it is way better.

otter

Jun 14, 2002, 6:45 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say the raves for the icicle creek area are quite accurate. Although I have never climbed there..I was there recently doing some mushrooming further up the road (the burn was great for morels!). My husband and I were drooling over the rock..and the gorgous setting. There were a lot of climbers out that day and they all seemed to be having a good time...from the little boulders to the giant towering bulge of a wall that was way way up there..(anyone know the name of that spot?)
Anyway... it is defenatly worth seeing..I wouldn't miss it now that I have seen it...and I am looking forward to climbing there someday.

abcxyz

Jun 14, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoot... I called that riverrecreation place and they don't offer rock climbing anymore
=( anyone else have any good websites that offer one day classes where you climb on the rocks outside? Thanks.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook