RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

gottahavenuts

Aug 29, 2001, 3:23 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Rope care tips?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I own an Eidelweiss 50m, 10.5 double dry rope. What are some good tips for caring for my rope after each climb and periodically during the season?

Logan

paulc

Aug 29, 2001, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Rope care tips? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The very best way to keep a rope in pristine condition is not to use it...

Other than that, dirt is bad, repeat after me, dirt is bad. Same goes for sand and small rocks. Use a rope bag, if you can avoid TRing as this is much harder on a rope than leading, assuming you don't take big whippers. If you do take whippers or whippers and can trade rope ends that is a good thing to do to let the rope "rest"

Clean when dirty, there is a good description of rope cleaning does and don't on http://www.tradgirl.com. Basically water, mild soap, no bleach, can use one of those rope cleaning gismo's if you have one, washer somewhat ok, front loader better, hang to dry out of the sun, dryer very bad, or perhaps ok with no heat, but I hang dry.

The main thing is the rope bag though.

And kinda as an afterthought as it seems so common sense, don't step on the rope, all you do is grind dirt into the core.

Paul

[ This Message was edited by: paulc on 2001-08-29 18:50 ]

fiend

Aug 29, 2001, 3:31 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read that, contrary to popular belief, extended exposure to sunlight and UV does not damage your rope but leaving it on concrete does. Apparently concrete takes years to cure fully and will still contain harmfull chemicals.

Basically:

• don't let people step on your rope
  • check it evey rtime you use it for sheath abrasions and core damage
  • keep it clean
  • make sure it stays away from places like your trunk which may have had previous chemical exposure
  • if you're working a route then make sure you switch ends every once in a while to give the rope a chance to recover
  • watch damage due to pinching or running over sharp edges
  • dry treatment is just a treatment, it wears off after a while, so it may need to be retreated

kagunkie

Aug 29, 2001, 11:50 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait a minute. Re-treat? Please, how do you get a rope re-treated? I personally know how to retreat but how do you make a rope do it?

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 3, 2001, 5:22 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirt bad, sand bad, concrete very bad, sun bad, heat bad(no dryer, don't leave in trunk of hot car for days).

As a rule of thumb, I make it known beforehand that every time someone steps on my rop, they owe me a biener or $5. (I got this idea from a chick at my gym, she gets $5 or a beer, but I don't drink anymore.)
The reason for this is, if your rope has dirt or sand on it, by stepping on it you force the stuff thru the sheath into the core causing it to cut the strands as the cord is moved around, that's bad.

Unless you have a rope bag, the best way to keep you rope neat is with a SINGLE butterfly. A double butterfly is good for making a backpack out of your cord, but it tends to get tangled when faking, a single butterfly can be laid open with no faking required. Coils also tend to get tangled when faking.

As far as dry goes, my first rope was a Mammut dry, waste of $$$, since I din't ice climb. If you don't ice climb or climb around snow, don't waste your $$$.
rrrADAM

coach

Sep 5, 2001, 6:34 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Zoostation,
You are right that rope fibers (nylon for the most part) are formed at a higher temperature (nylon melts at 450 degrees) however nylon fibers become sticky at 250 degree which is within the heat range of some dryers. If your dryer has a no heat option then it should be fine but if not you should air dry it.

Climb On

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 7, 2001, 5:01 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you put your rope in a dryer gfor hours withs no heat it will get real fuzzy. After washing a rope a couple times, mechanically,
it will start to fuzz up. just fake it out on a tarp in your house out of the sun for a day.

rrrADAM

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook