Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner johnnym

Dec 29, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #76 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Re: Earthquake(s) in SE asia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

80,000 confirmed dead with the Red Cross estimating that the total will be over 100,000. F*CK! Looking at some of the images and videos coming over CNN and BBC News, one just does not know what to feel! If I let this sink in properly, I think I would cry for days, especially seeing one image in particular of a father in Sri Lanka carrying his dead baby son like he was just asleep. Way too heavy shit for it not to affect you deeply! I certainly hope that the renewed respect the region will have for Mother Earth will spur on a move to install the necessary warning systems.

hasbeen

Dec 30, 2004, 6:54 AM
Post #77 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.yourkrabi.com/...thquake_update.shtml

cthulu

Dec 31, 2004, 1:28 AM
Post #78 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

America sent 35 million as of yesterday. There are gonna be over 150000 dead easy without the diseases. That 35 million isn't gonna do s***. And how many times that are we spending every day in Iraq? Maybe we could scrap one fighter plane and give 29 times that. Or better scrap missle defense and give over 100 times our puny amout. But we've got to prioritize. Makes you proud to be an American.

thegreytradster

Dec 31, 2004, 5:40 AM
Post #79 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
America sent 35 million as of yesterday. There are gonna be over 150000 dead easy without the diseases. That 35 million isn't gonna do s***. And how many times that are we spending every day in Iraq? Maybe we could scrap one fighter plane and give 29 times that. Or better scrap missle defense and give over 100 times our puny amout. But we've got to prioritize. Makes you proud to be an American.

Lets see, the first shipment of food arrived at a US leased Airforce base in Thailand less than 48 hours after the quake.

Six C-5's delivered 700,000lb of MRE's from Guam
They're about 1 lb and $3.00 each so there's
$2,100,000 right there.

And oh :shock: they had to get there somehow :? Those six planes flew a 24hr round trip mission at $30,000 an hr
$4,320,000 delivery costs.

So you've got $6,420,000 in a direct assistance within the first hours.

The first batch of that aid got to Siri Lanka This morning via
C-130 with the advance crews along with vaccines and other high priority cargo.
Not to mention four P-3 Orions that were tasked to do damage surveys within four hours of the quake.
A carrier battle group, amphibious ready group with large numbers of helicopters, trucks and construction equipment, 6000 men and five prepositioned supply ships with built in desalinization plants and hospitals.

The very millitary you disparage is the ONLY organization on the planet that can even have a remote possibility of dealing with this situation.
so STFU!

thegreytradster

Dec 31, 2004, 5:41 AM
Post #80 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Lets see, the first shipment of food arrived at a US leased Airforce base in Thailand less than 48 hours after the quake.

Six C-5's delivered 700,000lb of MRE's from Guam
They're about 1 lb and $3.00 each so there's
$2,100,000 right there.

And oh :shock: they had to get there somehow :? Those six planes flew a 24hr round trip mission at $30,000 an hr
$4,320,000 delivery costs.

So you've got $6,420,000 in a direct assistance within the first hours.

The first batch of that aid got to Siri Lanka This morning via
C-130 with the advance crews along with vaccines and other high priority cargo.
Not to mention four P-3 Orions that were tasked to do damage surveys within four hours of the quake.
A carrier battle group, amphibious ready group with large numbers of helicopters, trucks and construction equipment, 6000 men and five prepositioned supply ships with built in desalinization plants and hospitals.

The very millitary you disparage is the ONLY organization on the planet that can even have a remote possibility of dealing with this situation.
so STFU!

kalcario

Dec 31, 2004, 8:14 AM
Post #81 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*A carrier battle group, amphibious ready group with large numbers of helicopters, trucks and construction equipment, 6000 men and five prepositioned supply ships with built in desalinization plants and hospitals.

so STFU!*

The carriers won't arrive for 10 days to 2 weeks from today, 6 days after the earthquake

We aren't disparaging the U.S military, rather the fact that it is being wasted on ridiculous and unacheivable tasks when it could be focused on humanitarian efforts such as this one, which would do far more to improve our image on the Arab street (and win the war on terrorism) than our current pathetic and misguided eforts in Iraq are doing...

healyje

Dec 31, 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #82 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We aren't disparaging the U.S military, rather the fact that it is being wasted on ridiculous and unacheivable tasks when it could be focused on humanitarian efforts such as this one, which would do far more to improve our image on the Arab street (and win the war on terrorism) than our current pathetic and misguided eforts in Iraq are doing...

Here, here - Kalcario just found something we can agree on...

The Bushies are also adding considerable confusion to an already confusing aid situation by setting up a separate aid consortium to deliberately snub the UN who has the infrastructure already in place - and surprise, their consortium looks remarkable like their Iraq "Coalition". Clueless to a fault.

[P.S. Terrorism is a symptom, not a combatant or enemy state - this "war" will be exactly as successful as our "war" on drugs, and for pretty much the exact same reasons.]

cthulu

Dec 31, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #83 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

British Lancet medical journal published a suvey saying that 100000 Iraqi civilians are dead due to war related causes. Where is the media coverage? I am not saying this is not a massive tragedy but how about some equality. Plus here are some statistics from counterpunch.com

Us, Stingy?
It's All Relative

By DAVE LINDORFF

Cost of one F-22 Raptor tactical fighter jet -- $225 million

Cost of the ongoing U.S. war in Iraq--$228 million/day

Amount spent by Kerry and Bush campaigns -- $400 million

U.S. aid to Yushenko camp in recent Ukrainian conflict -- $30+ million

Estimated cost of Bush's Second Inauguration and Ball -- $ 40+ million

Amount of U.S. tax cuts under Bush -- $1 trillion

Cost of the U.S. Iraq War in 2004 -- $147 billion

U.S. reconstruction aid budgeted for Iraq (though never spent!) -- $18 billion

Amount the U.S. initially in aid to Indian Ocean tsunami victims -- $ 10 million

Amount U.S. offered in tsunami aid after being chastised by UN official -- $35 million

Dave Lindorff is the author of Killing Time: an Investigation into the Death Row Case of Mumia Abu-Jamal. His new book of CounterPunch columns titled "This Can't be Happening!" to be published this fall by Common Courage Press. Information about both books and other work by Lindorff can be found at

Partner iclimbtoo

Dec 31, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #84 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:cry: what is happening when we feel the need to debate about something this horrible!?!? Prayers for friends and families :cry:

thegreytradster

Dec 31, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #85 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:cry: what is happening when we feel the need to debate about something this horrible!?!? Prayers for friends and families :cry:

Yep! it looks like this thing could run into the millions of fatalities before it's all over. There was one town in Ache of 110,000 or so that the only survivors seem to be 500 or so that made it to a military outpost on the top of a hill.

The satellite and P-3 imagery is starting to come in now and in some places where there were once inhabited islands, there are only sand bars. Not to mention Manamar where a ruthless leftist military dictatorship has put the kiabosh on any information geting out. Nobody really knows what went on there yet.

Meanwhile Kofi Anan didn't bother to come home from his ski trip to Jackson Hole for three days while the America bashers whined.

The only help that will be arriving there any time soon will be wearing blue, brown or green with an American flag on the left shoulder. Just keep that in mind.

thegreytradster

Dec 31, 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #86 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cthulu
Considering the overwhelming gravity of this situation and the
irelivance of your post, I've had second thoughts about posting this in this thread but it also doesn't warant it's own thread.

Your source of irrelivant data Dave Lindorfs' major cause celebre is the defense of a man that shot a police officer and then while he was down and defenseless Blew his brains out. Gives you a lot of credibility.

In reply to:
Dave Lindorff is the author of Killing Time: an Investigation into the Death Row Case of Mumia Abu-Jamal

In reply to:
Five eyewitnesses implicated Abu-Jamal as the killer. His legally-registered gun was found at the scene with five spent shells in the chamber—shells that matched the bullet retrieved from the slain officer’s brain. Abu-Jamal was found wearing a holster. A return round from the policeman’s revolver was embedded in Abu-Jamal’s chest. When police arrived Abu-Jamal lunged for his gun. To this day Abu-Jamal and his brother, both witnesses to the crime, remain curiously silent on what happened.

Numerous people report that they heard him confess—including an anti-death penalty activist sympathetic to his cause. “I shot the mother-f***** and I hope the mother-f***** dies,” three witnesses say he bragged. “I’m glad. If you let me go, I’ll kill all of you cops,” he screamed at a local hospital.

Partner iclimbtoo

Dec 31, 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #87 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thegreytradster-

You're human, right? :wtf: :roll:

kalcario

Jan 1, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #88 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*The only help that will be arriving there any time soon will be wearing blue, brown or green with an American flag on the left shoulder. Just keep that in mind.*

Wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/31/asia.quake/index.html

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (CNN) -- For the first time since tsunamis swept across the Indian Ocean region, killing an estimated 135,000 people, residents in some remote areas of Indonesia saw the arrival of aid workers Friday -- and welcomed them as heroes.

It was their first sign that the world had not forgotten about them, said Sabine Rens of Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders), which made it to two coastal areas Friday.

thegreytradster

Jan 1, 2005, 1:10 AM
Post #89 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where's the French navy?

melekzek

Jan 1, 2005, 1:23 AM
Post #90 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cost of the ongoing U.S. war in Iraq--$228 million/day
Amount U.S. offered in tsunami aid after being chastised by UN official -- $35

In reply to:
Your source of irrelivant data ....

how could you say irrelevant?

bump bump bump

Partner coldclimb

Jan 1, 2005, 3:26 AM
Post #91 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

winstonfb wrote up his eye-witness account with pictures from his climbing partner and got it in the local paper. You can read it online, but only for a fee of $3.00, which is six times what the entire paper cost. :roll: If you're interested, click the link and scroll down to "Witness from Alaska recounts devastation."

herman

Jan 4, 2005, 6:44 AM
Post #92 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Anyone know how hard Tonsai was hit by Tsunami? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone know how hard Tonsai was hit by Tsunami?

thegreytradster

Jan 4, 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #93 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone know how hard Tonsai was hit by Tsunami? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone know how hard Tonsai was hit by Tsunami?
Looks like they got off light!
http://www.supertopo.com/...html?m=54982&f=0&b=0

sportgirl

Jan 5, 2005, 7:38 AM
Post #94 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Everyone,
I was on Railay ... I saw the waves hit Ton Sai too. I pray that the climbers on Ton Sai are ok, but fear the worst because of what I saw. Can anyone tell us if they were also climbing there? Do they know if other climbers survived??

Our story made it around the world - and now it is on CNN's world page:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/01/04/tsunami.survivor/index.html

If anyone else was there, I'd love to be in contact. We cannot get over yet what happened - we've been going to Krabi for years .... Railay is wrecked - but I hope they can rebuild for the next winter season... We will go next year if we hear they've had time to rebuild. Diamond Cave and Diamond Private are ok, but Sand Sea, Railay Bay, Village, BoBos, etc... wrecked.

rjtrials

Jan 13, 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #95 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel bad about bringing this thread back up to the front page, but I didn't feel that a new thread was warrented.

I ran across a story on Yahoo! News the other day. Apparently many athletes around the world are donating a large amount of money to go towards disaster relief.

In reply to:
Seven-time world Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher donated US$10 million; the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and FIFA, the football governing body pledged US$2 mil; the English Premier League have pledged US$1.9mil with clubs such as Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea contributing at least US$65,200 each.

Lets see that again!!!! :shock:

In reply to:
Michael Schumacher donated US$10 million
:shock: :shock:

Ten million dollars from one man. It is true that he is the highest paid athlete on the planet and he does have an excellent collection of Ferrari's, but I find it amazing that he ante's up the same amount that the entire government was willing to give in monies.

In reply to:
Amount the U.S. initially in aid to Indian Ocean tsunami victims -- $ 10 million

Amount U.S. offered in tsunami aid after being chastised by UN official -- $35 million

Anyway, I am glad that some of our athletes were willing to donate much of their hard earned cash for the help of the victims of this event. I only wish I had the capital to make a similar donation.

RJ

beldorph

Feb 5, 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #96 of 96 (10904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK - this thread has divulged. Shows how well Iīve been following it. Right into a debate upon how ineffectively America is spending itīs money... something thatīs a well known fact and hardly worth debate.

Anyways, for anyone who hasnīt heard about Sam Lightner and Michelle Garberīs attempt to raise money for donating to the climbing community of Thailand directly : they held a rally to raise awareness of the current situation and needs of the Thai people Jan 21 and Jan 23 in Banff and Canmore Canada. I think this was advertised on the Rockclimbing.com some time ago. Anyways, If you havenīt already contributed to the reconstruction effort, thisīd be a nice way to still do so. Show the climbing community of Thailand that the rest of the climbers are behind them. You can donate by sending a check addressed to Rally for Railey Fund to:

Rally for Railey Fund
PO Box 987
Banff AB
T1L 1A9
Canada

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?