Forums: Climbing Partners: US - Mountain States:
Front Range Snow Sliders Backcountry Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

killclimbz

Dec 29, 2004, 8:21 PM
Post #201 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Re: wicked crash [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
oooo i'm so screwed - major crash yesterday - need surgery on hand (ulnar collateral ligament tear), 3 staples to head, 4+ butterflies on face, bruised chest and a face that looks like Mike Tysons practice pad - I BE SCARY)

No leg or brain damage so i'll be back as soon as can clear and heal 8^)

PS i luv percocet

Lisa,

Dang girl, what the heck were you doing. Trying to gap jump the highway on Loveland Pass? :shock: . Sounds like you got one of those ski pole injuries on your hand. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Sounds like you'll need something to drink for New years....

mother_sheep

Dec 29, 2004, 9:01 PM
Post #202 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OH MY GOODNESS! Lisa!

So does this mean that I get you back as a climbing partner then? Seriously, I hope your wounds heal fast. Let me know if you need anything.

Partner nextascent

Dec 31, 2004, 7:04 PM
Post #203 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OH MY GOODNESS! Lisa!

So does this mean that I get you back as a climbing partner then? Seriously, I hope your wounds heal fast. Let me know if you need anything.

:P Well if they do sugery on the hand i was thinking about asking them for a belaying cast! (whatever the hell that might look like) damn i'm fricken bored of this already. Ooh Tracy...get the pics? I look wicked scary hmmm? :twisted: Notice how it's the outline of my goggles? Eewwww

Thx for all the offers of help gang! Have a drink for me tonight

shorty

Dec 31, 2004, 8:28 PM
Post #204 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
oooo i'm so screwed - major crash yesterday - need surgery on hand (ulnar collateral ligament tear), 3 staples to head, 4+ butterflies on face, bruised chest and a face that looks like Mike Tysons practice pad - I BE SCARY)

No leg or brain damage so i'll be back as soon as can clear and heal 8^)

PS i luv percocet
Jeebers. If you did that while cruising on your new B1's, I will immediately disavow any prior recommendations for those skis. Er, that's right -- couldn't have been me.

As soon as your percocet jollies allow, we want some details. And was ABC's Wide World of Sports there to tape the carnage so we can see the fall replayed in slo-mo ad nauseam on Sundays?

Let's be careful out there, kids.

And get well soon.

cologman

Jan 1, 2005, 9:40 PM
Post #205 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lisa,
Wow girl! Take it easy. Did something like that backcountry skiing one time, looked like someone trying out for a raccoon role in a sci-fi flick. We should compare pics. Remember "only the brave die young!" Hope you heal fast.
Jeff

Partner nextascent

Jan 2, 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #206 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

wicked crash TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know where trip reports go for stuff like this but i'll put it here. :D I posted this in another ski related forum, just adding a few things cuz i know you guys/gals

Been 5 days since the 'event' for me and finally able to stay lucid enuf to type. Been reading a lot of the threads and my spill seems like a grain of salt compared to a lot of them but what the hell...it was pretty wicked in my own mind.

The day was "on" for me... I was on my new B1's and having a ball finally keeping up with my son. Everything was just clicking and the two of us were grinnin like fools. You understand that we all have "our turn"? Mine is that long turn so I was thrilled with how eaily my new B1s were getting me to do "other" turns.

My recollection is pretty limited, one minute i was rippin down the hill and the next i was lookin up at a lot of strange faces who were firing off questions to me. Here is what actually happened from the few ppl that saw; we were steady cruising long radius turns (estimate50mph?) and by a fluke both my son and i decided to grab a quick turn - we collided. Him having some advantage in size, i catapulted off him and flew into a tree. The hit with him knocked me out and my resting spot was a rock under my chest and a tree in my face.

Apparently 2 boarders and 1 skier were first to surround me. 1 called for patrol, 1 gently told me to stay put and took his handwarmers out of his gloves, curled my hands around them and put my gloves back on. By that time my son had scrambled over a (in his words) - just watched the surreal events take place since he heard me respond and knew i wasn't out of it. Ski Patrol came (8 of them!) in what felt like minutes. ( checked later, respose time was under 4 minutes)

I kept my eyes closed, answered their questions and did my own mental checklist; could i feel me legs, could i wiggle my toes and fingers, etc. "Do NOT move!" they repeated as they braced my neck and slid a board under my back.

My head was screaming, my face burning and my chest felt like some sumo wrestling mother f%^$r was sitting on me...

They ended up giving me a lovely ride by ambulance to a trauma center in Denver (can't wait to see that bill). End result? Staples in my head, butterflys on my face (which looks like it was mauled), bruised about every bone from the waist up and tore the ligament completely from pointer finger to thumb (it can now fall easily to my wrist). I'm really lucky, and thankful when i think about how bad it could've been. I can still hardly move from all the bruising, my face looks hideous and i'll likely get surgery next week to try to reattach my ligament....

my biggest worry now? I hope they can give a cast to go around my pole!

I have had a lot of questions from family, etc. and i've tried to think about what i could have done differently. Hard to say for me... I have been in much more trecherous terrain, been in situations where I didn't feel in control...everything was going great. What it does tell me is that at the speed i was moving, i should have been more conscientous of my surroundings.

So each day one pain goes away and one more appears. I'm eager to jump up and carry on like usual but even a short chaperoned (my son wouldn't let me go alone) trip to the grocery store wiped me out.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes...it makes me smile!

Shorty - those B1's ROCK even if *cough* you never said a word about them
coclimber26 - haven't gotten the bindings yet for the lil honeys you hooked me up with
skibs - i'll try that feet thing! :P
killclimbz - dude - i need a REALLY big beer
Tracy - ugh chest pain
James - thx for everything!
colog that's it! the racoon thing :) i'll post my mug shot here soon

Partner nextascent

Jan 2, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #207 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://img114.exs.cx/...14/1849/ouch14du.jpg

Aint it purty?

timstich

Jan 2, 2005, 6:11 PM
Post #208 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blargh! Marketa and I are cleaning up the house before we go hiking and I showed her this picture. Haven't me you yet, Lisa, but I've read you and the others' skiing posts. I'm appreciating the dangers of skiing and snowboarding more and more now that I see the news reports of accidents. Get well, soon.

Tim

killclimbz

Jan 3, 2005, 2:08 PM
Post #209 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geeeezzzzzussss! :shock: Girl you got racked! As bad as it looks you got real lucky. That sort of crash could have easily killed you or put you in a wheel chair for life. Glad you'll come out of it with some good stories to tell. I hope the surgery goes great and all you have is a kewl scar to talk about :wink: .

Keep us updated and that pic should be front paged....

killclimbz

Jan 3, 2005, 3:26 PM
Post #210 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so for the New Year's weekend I was invited down to a friends cabin on the west side of Wolf Creek Pass. I had Thursday through Sunday off. I started my trip off by going down to Monarch pass for Thursday, since Perry wasn't going to be down there until that night. Spent the day hiking to the top of the divide on the south side of the pass and doing the North facing trees to the east. By the time I got there 11" or so had fallen. Did a couple of laps through the trees, had blower snow and a good time. It's really strange but everyone rides solo there in the BC. I tried to partner up with some people, but the two I saw just jumped out of their vehicles and on their ski's and were gone. Both of them solo. Oh well, the angle is pretty low and you're the trees. It was pretty darn good.

I took off from Monarch back down to 285 and started making my way to Wolf Creek. The Sangres were getting bathed in the sunset glow. What a view, I wish I had a digital camera with me. Some peaks were cloud topped and all were white. The mountains were glowing pink and purple. It was quite a sight. Got to the base of Wolf Creek pass and I guess it had snowed somewhere around 16". The pass actually had postings stating that all vehicles have to have chains, 4wd or snow tires. Me of course having neither proceeded over the pass at a very slow pace. Lots of drivers gave me the high beams and skirted around me. So be it, all that counted was that I got there in one piece. Made it to the cabin on the other side and proceeded to put Oatmeal Stouts down with Perry and Kelly in a beautiful log cabin.
The next morning we got up to the parking area on the North side of the pass at about 9am. There were about 10 other BC skiers up there. First thing I noticed, everyone is on Tele gear. The dang place is tele mecca. Over the course of the next three days. I saw two people on AT gear, and about 5 snowboarders. Two of which that were actually going into the BC and not just building a jump. The other 20-30 or so people we ran into were all on tele gear.
The skin up to your drop in points is relatively easy. Much easier than at Berthoud or Monarch. You can skin out to one point and have multiple different drops back to the highway, with relatively little traversing. The most popular run with the snowboarders. Hence, we named the run, the snowboard run. The other option is to skin back by the Lobo overlook and drop into the trees down to the drainage creeks below. It's about an 800 vertical foot shot at about 30 degrees. The final 100-200 ft steepen up to over 40 and go through really kewl chutes, rocks, rolls, cliffbands. The problem is if you decide to do these fun chutes, you also have to skin back up them. That is a pain. Once you are back on the bench above them the skin out is again really easy. You traverse around to the north until you reach a low angle shoulder then skin up that to the road. Probably a 3% grade at the most. For snowboarders a splitboard is a must. You would just die on snowshoes, and getting up the 50 degree slopes would be next to impossible. It was plenty hard to do skinning up that. We only elected to drop the steep part once a day.
We had two great days exploring around finding old loggin roads and deep pow. On my final day, Sunday, we decided to do the snowboard run, because we were all tired, and it's easy to do. We ended up doing the far right shoulder and dropped into a completely different aspect. Steep trees, lots of boulder and log drops, and plenty of rolls. Completely untouched, it was a riot. We got worried when we didn't cross the logging road. We shouldn't have been, it dropped us off right at the highway. Shuttled back up to the top of the pass with big s&*^ eating grins and I headed home with some terrific memories. I can't wait to get down there again.

mjroche

Jan 3, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #211 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lisa: That sucks about your crash. Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery. You are a trooper trying to get a belaying/pole compatible cast!!!

wannabe

Jan 3, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #212 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nextascent, looks like a pretty bad crash. :? Good thing is that you'll recover...be carefull out there. I hope you heal fast.

KC, Sounds like you had a good time. I made it down to Monarch on Fri. and did laps in snow-stake all morning. Pretty much had it to myself. 8^)
Sun, I was up at Butler Gulch; do not waste your time there right now. The snow is wind affected, missing, and generally hard. I think it may be about time to check out Geneva Basin.

Vince

coclimber26

Jan 3, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #213 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm outta here for a while guyz...see ya this summer on the rock...get well lisa.

shorty

Jan 3, 2005, 5:45 PM
Post #214 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(edited to remove a shot worthy of the VS catalog)

Aint it purty?
Yowsah, Lisa. Although it's probably hard to do at this point, count your lucky stars that you're still kickin'.

And by the way, let's throttle back on the B1's -- OK? Freeway speeds should be reserved for the 9X series in Rossignol. And although I can't top your story, even slow falls can still hurt. So on the 1st I'm inspecting a full-on GS course at Copper's Bittersweet run. While sideslipping a gate at maybe 2mph to push off the soft snow, I catch an edge, do a double eject, and get tossed sideways onto the hardpack. I end up jamming my left thumb, which now swells up like a balloon and turns technicolor shades of purple, blue, and yellow. I seem to jam a thumb almost every year, but usually in a more spectacular fashion.

Get well, soon, Lisa. I want to see you skiing (safely) on those B1's.

killclimbz

Jan 3, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #215 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nextascent, looks like a pretty bad crash. :? Good thing is that you'll recover...be carefull out there. I hope you heal fast.

KC, Sounds like you had a good time. I made it down to Monarch on Fri. and did laps in snow-stake all morning. Pretty much had it to myself. 8^)
Sun, I was up at Butler Gulch; do not waste your time there right now. The snow is wind affected, missing, and generally hard. I think it may be about time to check out Geneva Basin.

Vince

Yeah, I don't really plan on going back to Butler until late spring. It may very well be a good time to check out Geneva. I'm thinking Monarch pass would sure be fun this weekend too. It really depends, I may be able to swaggle Thursday yet again. If that is the case and things work out I may just head back down to Wolf Creek. Perry is still down there, and perhaps if I can get him a ride he can stay through Saturday. They are supposed to get around 3 more feet down there this week. If not Saturday at Monarch could be a good thing. We'll talk.

Partner nextascent

Jan 3, 2005, 7:46 PM
Post #216 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alrighty then.....face is doing real well, so are the general aches and pains, Wed i get the staples outta my noggin and Thursday i get surgery on my hand.

Lol, ok so i'm usually pretty good about pain and gore, etc but when the doc moved my thumb today i almost passed out! :oops: Really we did the cold copresses, fan and head down crap! OMG he didn't even hurt me (then), Later, when he gave a shot OUCH i was steady as a stone. I think it was seeing it bend in that direction (blek).

So he is all cool to get surgery done fast so i can be mending and take my trip to switzerland. I asked him what my limitations would be physically and i got an admonishing look "well i wouldn't be hanging from it anytime soon!" i didn't specifically ask if i could ski with my cast but i think he made that assumption.

So..the brakes will go on the B1's, I'll work on drills for a while and i'll be careful .

Thx for all the great well wishes!

killclimbz

Jan 3, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #217 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Re: Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck on the surgery. Keep us updated. Here's to hoping you have a mutant healing factor. :D

wanderinfree

Jan 3, 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #218 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck, Lisa. Heal quick. Hearing your account of your accident just brought back home to me why I broke down and bought a helmet two weeks ago. Not that it would save anyone from a header into trees, but will hopefully save me the repeat pain from my back layout flip off my head that occured 3 weeks back. ahhh...what we do for our love.

wannabe

Jan 4, 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #219 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KC, Monarch should be good again this weekend if you can make it. Any other sliders out there want to make some turns this weekend...I need a back up plan. You're welcome to choose curtain #1 if that works out. :D

killclimbz

Jan 4, 2005, 1:14 AM
Post #220 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may very well have to make it down there. I should know more by Thursday. I may be headed down to Wolf Creek for seconds. I'll stay in touch.

cologman

Jan 4, 2005, 5:47 AM
Post #221 of 568 (46977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yiiikes! Lisa, I just saw your posted pic. I can't even come close to that carnage. Raccon eyes are one thing, the rest of the boxing match I didn't get. I'll dig out my pic and pm it to you just so you can get some grins. Heal fast. Just turn off the afterburners and you'll do fine :shock: !

killclimbz

Jan 5, 2005, 6:09 PM
Post #222 of 568 (46997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Wannabe, with all this snow, I just didn't feel like driving for hours and hours to get a few days in at Wolf Creek. So I am thinking that Saturday is a go.
Also, for anyone who is interested I will be getting out on Berthoud Pass this Friday.

killclimbz

Jan 5, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #223 of 568 (46997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, it looks like it's been dumping. Sad news about that guy in Steamboat. A lot of the mags over at the Teton Gravity Site knew this person or of him. There is also this thread over there about it. It is the first of the season for Colorado. Hopefully the last, though the law of averages says it's probably not.

I guess it's a good time to make a point. ANY open slope is suspect these days, and so are small open areas below tree lines. If you are going to drop into a chute or bowl, it is best to dig a pit, do some stability tests and have a real good out you are confident you can get to. The snow pack is very weak underneath, and it looks to be this way until the spring. It has pretty much been a ski in the trees type of season. Be careful out there.

wannabe

Jan 5, 2005, 9:11 PM
Post #224 of 568 (46997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Wannabe, with all this snow, I just didn't feel like driving for hours and hours to get a few days in at Wolf Creek. So I am thinking that Saturday is a go.
Also, for anyone who is interested I will be getting out on Berthoud Pass this Friday.

Great! I'm looking forward to another day in the POW. A friend of mine may go as well I will confirm later.

killclimbz

Jan 6, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #225 of 568 (46997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is sounding good up there. 18" in two days at Monarch, 20" at Winterpark, 36" in three days at Wolf Creek!!! I think I'm hitting Berthoud tomorrow, should be interesting. Going to have those avy eyes on full alert. Probably just going to stick to the old area. I don't think we'll need to get out far to enjoy good snow. Maybe one lap out my tree stash. Monarch sounds like it could be a tasty (and safe) treat for Saturday.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook