Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New Sauratown Access Issue
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Jan 3, 2005, 6:48 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

New Sauratown Access Issue  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Central: Sauratown__temporarily_CLOSED_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

NC climbers are well familiar with Sauratown and its importance to Winter cragging in the Carolinas. Most of us are also familiar with the agreement between the climbing community and YMCA Camp Hanes, which owns the access to the crag.

Recently, a few folks have been either ignoring or are unaware of those conditions for continued access. If you climb in the Carolinas, please read here for more details.

noell

Jan 3, 2005, 7:50 AM
Post #2 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Sauratown Access Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

With winter upon us, it's amazing that we can climb in NC with t-shirts (or no shirts for the climber guys) and shorts on, in January. That was the scene yesterday at Sauratown, a group of local climbers, all in summer clothing (jackets in our packs for the hike down), soaking in great Carolina blue and sunshine, enjoying the rock and the gorgeous day.

I wouldn't want winter climbing to be any other way!

Let's do what we can to make sure access remains, this is such a treat for us NC climbers!

Partner j_ung

Jan 3, 2005, 1:48 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

Well said, 2Ls. Thanks.

cliffhanger2040

Jan 13, 2005, 4:01 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, thanks for the news flash. I for one didn't know about the dog issue. Definately don't want the area closed. On a lighter note.... please check out my photos. I don't know the name of one route at Saurautown

andy_reagan

Jan 13, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just keep telling yourself you're getting a really good warmup. Works for me. :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the warning. Sauratown seems like the kind of place that could be shut down very easily. Any sort of reinforcement of the rules/agreements is a good thing. Tread lightly, friends.

csproul

Nov 18, 2005, 9:15 AM
Post #6 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this is kind of an old topic, but I'm pretty new to NC and was hoping to try out Sauratown in the next couple of weeks. The link provided above is no longer working and I was wondering what info it contained that might be useful to me. I don't want to inadvertently do anything that may jeopardize access. On a side note, can anyone tell me if there is a topo out there?

clarki

Nov 18, 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #7 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The same quiet agreement is still in place with Camp Hanes. Unfortunately I haven't been up there yet this fall but that just might change this weekend! Drive into Camp Hnaes, slowly, and park in the upper lot near the pool and keep a quiet, low profile. Walk across the field straight toward the cliff, keeping the ropes course on your right and follow the trail up.+-30 minutes. Just remember to bear right at the trail junction or you will end up at the top of the cliff!!
There is a topo floating around but it really isn't that hard to find good stuff: Check out this link, these guys are from Chapel Hill too and you might be able to work something out:
http://www.carolinaclimbers.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=194

When you hit the cliff, the arete in front of you is Whiskey sour, an excellent 5.6 gear lead. Just to the left are two nice, steep .10's, one sport, one mixed, Shock the Monkey and Stokes County Monkey Trials. From here if you go to the left there are many lines, gear and sport, many of them in the .11's. To the right, just past the "Gash of Death" (you'll know it when you see it!) are several moderate sport lines (.8-.10-) on a slab above a large ledge on the "Sun Wall". Farther to the right are a line up of great .10's and 11's; Texas Pete's Rim Job.10-, Skin Toys.11, Spiderman gets a Job .9+, DC Comics .9+ (the broken crack system with the awsome exposed juggy roof at the top, just look up, you can't miss it

If none of this made any sense, PM me
Have fun!
John

beagly

Dec 17, 2005, 2:09 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Sauratown Topo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you succeed in getting a topo to Sauratown? You had asked in n earlier posting...

Thanks

Simon

el_jerko

Dec 19, 2005, 9:36 AM
Post #9 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There used to be a topo of Sauratown kicking around the web that had some mistakes as to grades and names. I don't mean differences of opinion, I mean real booboos. The one that comes to mind is The Amazing Joe was listed as an unnamed 11- when in reality it is a solid 12. Point being dont rely on the topo as gospel, ask a local if there is one handy before you jump on something.

Partner j_ung

Dec 19, 2005, 10:12 AM
Post #10 of 10 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure what happened to that link. I'll add that all dogs need to be on a leash when in the camp.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook