Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
One obvious trick for pulling stuck cams.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

radistrad

Jun 12, 2002, 6:05 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

One obvious trick for pulling stuck cams.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Its quite simple, when you over comperss a cam and can not get the trigger to pull the lobes so the cam can close more and be removed, simply take you nut tool and manualy push the cam lobes closed while having a steady pull on the trigger. A bit of play and you can be the proud owner of booty.
It also help to study the rock, is the crack wider up higher or lower.
In my mind, if the cam moves at all it can be pulled.
I hope this helps some one, does any one have any thing they want to share? I've got a few more tricks, but I'd like to see if any one else has the same tricks.

edited for typo, and I bet I did not get them all..

[ This Message was edited by: radistrad on 2002-06-12 11:06 ]

killclimbz

Jun 12, 2002, 6:28 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

One obvious trick for pulling stuck cams. [In reply to]
Report this Post

Anyone hear of a friend of a friend? It's one of the best devices for removing stuck cams. It doesn't work on all models, but it does on most of them. I've retrieved several stuck friends, tcu's, etc with it.
The one trick I would like to see is how to remove a cam where the wires have broke. I've seen a few of those around. Seems to be a shame to leave them there as fixed gear when all you need to do is fix the cables to get them to work again.

[ This Message was edited by: killclimbz on 2002-06-12 13:02 ]

radistrad

Jun 12, 2002, 7:30 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I like it killclimbz... how to remove a cam that has broken wires?.. I think I would try the nut tool method and walk it out, however that may be painfuly slow. Very thought provoking...
I've come across a few "cam heads" (cables clipped off also) and they sure do make a mess in the crack.
my after lunch thought is, if it went in the crack it can come out...
Anyone else?

feelio

Jun 12, 2002, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In sandstone, which expands and contracts more with temperature changes, it is common to see cams that have been squaushed flat. A great trick to is to spit mouthfulls of water in the crack, loosening the sand aroud teh cam. i have bootied a fair amount of cams this way.

joemor

Jun 13, 2002, 12:59 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

friend of a friend..... does any 1 have a picure/ description??

joe

krustyklimber

Jun 13, 2002, 1:23 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

To remove cams with the wires broken I have used a tool made out of two wire coat hangers. Bend them like a letter V (or a stethiscope)with the tops bent in, stick it in and over the cams and squeeze the hanger until the "pins" go into the holes milled in the cams, when they do drag the cam out!

Did I explain that O.K.?

Jeff

climbchick

Jun 13, 2002, 2:33 AM
Post #7 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I would also like to hear about the "friend of a friend" -- what is it/where to get it?

apollodorus

Jun 13, 2002, 3:26 AM
Post #8 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I've recently pulled several cams using the nutpick method, and didn't even touch the triggers. If the wires were broken, I would have gotten them out just as easily. I pulled everything from a blue alien to a #3 friend using this method. Basically, if you pull on the stem gently while moving the cams, it will come out. Sometimes, you have to move one cam, then the opposite cam, then move to the other two, etc., to get the thing out.

It helps if the edge of the nut tool is sharp, and not rounded. That way, it can bite into the face of the cam. I like to put the L of the nutpick against the cam, and then twist the pick.

I did miss a booty blue alien that I left for the the cleaner. I should have grabbed it on lead. He passed by without even trying to get it out. One of the cams was inverted, but it totally looked bootable.

sparky

Jun 13, 2002, 4:40 AM
Post #9 of 9 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Ever find a cam in a super deep crack that is so tiny you have no idea how someone got it that far in? I found one of those about a week ago and after 25 minutes of poking and pulling on it with my nut tool I realized there was no one anyone could get it out unless they had 2d hands or something, how did it get in so far in the first place?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook