RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

warhawk60

Jan 5, 2005, 7:57 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1511 views)
Shortcut

climbing specific training program
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know about training and about practice. what I want to know is what sort of training is the best for climbing? obviosly climbing gyms but when I cant get to the climbing gym what should I do at a home or at the weight room? And are finger boards as benificial as they claimb to be? is it worth geting one? thanks for your help.

also if anyone climbes at adventure rock in millwakee wisconsin and needs a partner or wants to climb e-mail me at warhawk200660@yahoo.com.

witcomb

Jan 5, 2005, 8:17 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1511 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing specific training program [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not qualified to answer this question, however you should explain more about your background. Obviously, someone who has been climbing for 10 years would train differently than a rookie just starting out. Just explain more about yourself, people can give you more specific information rather than answering broadly.

A good source though is www.planetfear.com, check out the training section under articles. Keep in mind that much it main not apply, however there is a lot of good information that is worth reading.

Just hope you don't get the standard, just climb responses. You can also search this forum, there is tons of information available.

elron

Jan 5, 2005, 8:26 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just got a new climbing book for x-mas titles "Climbing: Training for Peak Performace" by Clyde Soles. It covers quite a few areas, from daily nutrition, what to eat on the climb, stretching, aerobic exercise, anaerobic exercise, and cross training such as trail running, biking, and backcountry skiing. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but what I have read seems quite good. Check it out... Amazon has it for sale:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/089886898X/002-3370647-7045651?v=glance

Kevin

tyson16v

Jan 5, 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

finger boards are very beneficial. but if you are new to the sport please be careful. your muscles get stronger much faster than the tendons in your fingers. to much strain will result in injury. take it easy for a while if you are new to finger training and let your tendons catch up to your muscles. there are tons of finger board workouts posted all over the web, just google it. and make sure that you get a finger board that is very versatile. make sure that it has all the different finger possitions as well as hold types. there are a million ways to train outside of climbing, i can elaborate when i have more time if someone doesnt beat me to it. i found that crosstraining has helped me and the people i teach more than anything. it is good to mix it up if you have the time. but everyone's situation is different. i work in a gym and have the option to train whenever i feel like it, some folks dont have that option. diversity is key.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook