RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

danpayne

Jan 6, 2005, 4:56 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Which Digital camera is better?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Cannon SD200

or

Nikon coolpix 4200

Suggestions?

veritasmmv

Jan 6, 2005, 5:00 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Re: Which Digital camera is better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i just bought a Fuji Finepix A340... it's not too shabby

richmacr

Jan 6, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This site has good information on digital cameras. The reviews are very detailed (although it may not have reviews for all cameras), and there are user opinions, etc....

http://dpreview.com/

yamama

Jan 6, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #4 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well i'm not sure which is better... but here are some things I looked for when buying the Fuji E500. Zoom, optical and dig. Megpix the higher the better pics. and what kind of card and batteries it takes... like do u want to spend 30 bucks for a special batt and charger or just use AA's.
I got the E500 b/c it had a good zoom and about 4 megpix with AA's and got a 256mb card for about $40.00. Hope you find a good camera... btw look on ebay... but also look at walmart and best buy for other prices... with s/h it was about the same price on ebay as it was at best buy for the E500... something to think about.

chalkfree

Jan 6, 2005, 5:30 AM
Post #5 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretend to be a haxor for a minute and go to

www.newegg.com

Look in daily deals, sometimes they have really nice cameras for half of what you could find them for at other stores. Also they are my personal choice for computer parts and junk, fair prices good service.

I'll swear by the fuji finepix as well though. I've got one of their 3.2 mp jobs that takes better pictures than most others I've seen. Make sure you like the default angle of the lens too, it can be a bit hard to find one that works well for scenery and people....

Good luck

atarinaper

Jan 6, 2005, 6:03 AM
Post #6 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the nikon 4200 is defenitely a better camera, in many shapes, but especially in design. The feeling in the hand seems to be better, and along with 4mp vs. 3mp you are getting manual modes to work with too. Both work on Li-ion cells, which should give you around 150-200 shots per charge. I personally am usually a canon guy, but when it comes to p/s cameras i like the nikon coolpix line alot more.

have a good night,
andrew

hibby11

Jan 6, 2005, 6:47 AM
Post #7 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've owned 3 canon digital cameras in my life (two of which i still own) and would highly reccommend them. They are simple and give great results

mrsuicide

Jan 6, 2005, 6:54 AM
Post #8 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive got a nikon coolpix 5200 and im very pleased. paid $350 a few months ago.

I dont know anything about photography but the pictures it takes are nice, especially with a bit of photoshop.

One of my needs was 640 x 480 video at 30 fps unlimited recording, and the movies come out great. (though a 1 gb card only gets you about 15 minutes)

the only serious drawback was the lack of manual shutter speed controls.

healyje

Jan 6, 2005, 9:36 AM
Post #9 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was a professional photog long ago and just broke down going digital for personal use (climbing and macro). I ordered a Canon SD300 after looking at them all. Size was the prime driver as I want it on the shoulder strap of my Metolius double gear sling. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know how it goes...

atarinaper

Jan 7, 2005, 5:31 AM
Post #10 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was a professional photog long ago and just broke down going digital for personal use (climbing and macro). I ordered a Canon SD300 after looking at them all. Size was the prime driver as I want it on the shoulder strap of my Metolius double gear sling. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know how it goes...

good luck on macro, it sucks on the sd 300, nikons are known for their ability for macro in their coolpix line. Being that im a canon freak, its hard for me to admit it.

healyje

Jan 7, 2005, 9:37 AM
Post #11 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
good luck on macro, it sucks on the sd 300, nikons are known for their ability for macro in their coolpix line. Being that im a canon freak, its hard for me to admit it.

Yeah, I shoot Nikon on film, but the size thing is the deal here and the choice was Sony, Canon, or Pentax - the Canon won. I did go around between several of the Canon models, but really thinking about what I'm willing to drag up 15 pitches and where it would have to be situated for me to really bother using it at all (on my shoulder strap) I kept coming back to size being the driver - and I also wanted an optical view finder.

The macro work will be of my wife's custom jewelry and I'll be doing that from a copy stand with plenty of opportunity to control stability and lighting. Those images will be used for online work rather than print so I'm not as concerned about the obvious compromise on the macro that you note in your post.

outdoorsie

Jan 7, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went shopping for a camera about those specs a couple years ago and ended up with the Nikon. The best thing about the Nikons is the lens adapters. I'd read so much about how you can't get decent climbing pics with digital cameras because you *need* a wide angle lens. I tend to agree. The Nikon has a very nice wide-angle adapter you can slip on there and come up with awesome shots.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=35665

atarinaper

Jan 7, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

note that not all nikons have lense adapters, the particular one that was asked about here, does not take adapters.

but yes, canons also take adapters, starting in the cheapo A series cameras and moving towards the G series, as well as the S1 and pro 1.

outdoorsie

Jan 7, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
note that not all nikons have lense adapters, the particular one that was asked about here, does not take adapters.

but yes, canons also take adapters, starting in the cheapo A series cameras and moving towards the G series, as well as the S1 and pro 1.

OhMyGosh, you are right! (Had to look it up, but you're right) My 4300 uses lens adapters, I just assumed the 4200 did too. My bad. Definately get the cannon. Or a better Nikon. :-)

pico23

Jan 8, 2005, 3:43 AM
Post #15 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

For my money, and you'll see me post this a lot. The S1 IS is the best value on the market. At under $350 you get a sharp 10X optical zoom, ultrasonic motor, and image stabilization. No other camera in that price range comes close. Why so cheap? It's only a 3MP so your limited to 8x10's which IMO is plenty of pixels.

The cheapo A series is about 90% of the S1. Mostly it lacks the lens, IS and USM. You can add on a 10x and wide angle to the A series making it very capable. The focusing system on the A series is precise. No add on flash on either the S1 or the A series, but the beauty of either camera is solid user control in a super compact package.

eastvillage

Jan 8, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #16 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8 by 10 from 3mp? No way, that print would be total sh*t.
3 mp is good for 4 by 6 max.
4 by 6 is one fouth the resolution area of 8 by 10

pico23

Jan 8, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
8 by 10 from 3mp? No way, that print would be total sh*t.
3 mp is good for 4 by 6 max.
4 by 6 is one fouth the resolution area of 8 by 10

3MP is plenty for a 8x10. And if you need more (DPI) just interpolate through software.

I assume you're resampling your 3Mp images to 300dpi to make this statement? Because that is the only way the maximum print size of a 3Mp camera would be anywhere near 4x6. Bottom line is the average consumer on this site will be happy with a flawless 8x10 off a Canon A75 or S1 IS at around 100dpi. I ask people all the time when they ask me how good is the cameras image quality, what film they used to put in their film camera and 90% either don't know or never thought about it (whatever they grabbed first or whatever brand they trusted). I find it funny that all of a sudden with the digital age everyone requires perfect 20x30 framed prints on their living room walls from a hand held camera. It's not gonna happen.

8x10 from a 3Mp, you betcha. Will it look good? Yep, it's gonna look better than all those $h!tty 8x10's they'd been producing from crappy film and cheap P&S's all those years. Sure, a negative holds way more than 3MP of information on it, but it can't reveal what isn't scanned or what isn't there.

The bottom line is for the casual shooter digital is a great thing and a 3MP camera like the S1 is a great deal that will produce an 8x10 here or there. If you need more go for the Pro 1.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook