RSS FeedRSS Feeds for View this Website

Premier Sponsor:

scoddy

Jan 26, 2005, 4:14 AM
Post #1 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Need a Website Critique
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If anyone is willing to check out www.cartelclimbing.com and give us a honest critique of what you think it would be greatly appreciated. What other types of content would you be interested in?

Partner cliffhanger9

Jan 26, 2005, 4:39 AM
Post #2 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

cliffhanger9 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffhanger9 moved this thread from General to View this Website.

Partner cliffhanger9

Jan 26, 2005, 4:44 AM
Post #3 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Re: Need a Website Critique [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that is actually a really cool site - a good and tasteful Flash job always amazes me...

I think it is simple clean and fun

the only down side to a flash based site is the fact that search engines dont crawl through them to well thats probably not that big of a deal...the bigger deal is that surprisingly there are a good percentage of people that dont have a flash plugin or have it disabled. You may want to research these statistics and see if it is worth makeing an html/low bandwidth version...It loaded really fast actually for me...but i m on a pretty fast connection os i dont know..

anyway - I do like it - a bit confused by the crew part though...there are 4 guys in the picture and only 3 are credited.. :?

ROCK ON!! 8^)

godskid5

Jan 26, 2005, 4:47 AM
Post #4 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If anyone is willing to check out www.cartelclimbing.com and give us a honest critique of what you think it would be greatly appreciated. What other types of content would you be interested in?
http://www.cartelclimbing.com

godskid5

Jan 26, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #5 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would have to agree with cliffhanger 9 on this one. site is really cool. i personally love the flash (i have a 4meg connection though). have you checked out how this loads on a slower dsl or dialup connection. 256k or less? that should be a consideration if you want to get it out to more people. other than that, good job.

Partner tradman

Jan 26, 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #6 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scoddy,

Good job on the site! It's got a good overall feel, and the design really is very good. Have you considered tidying up some of the loose ends, like the inconsistent fonts and the slight colour differences between the flash movies and their surrounds, and the page titles?

Don't take the blah about the flash plugin and all that stuff too seriously. Ask yourself these questions:

Who am I aiming this site at?

What do I want the site to do for me?

Answer them honestly and you'll start to see whether you should be creating stuff like text-only or non-flash versions, because you'll know whether your audience probably has the flash plugin already.

You'll also begin to see what else could be done - would that audience like to have a "contact us" section so they can hire you or send comments? Would they like previews of forthcoming work? Do they need to see a legal disclaimer to take you seriously? How are you going to contact that audience to get them to look at the site?

The site's really good already, with only a few nudges it could be a real winner. Good luck!

zozo

Jan 26, 2005, 1:10 PM
Post #7 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is also some of the best single camera video Ive seen on this site. Nice work!!

orangekyak

Jan 26, 2005, 1:25 PM
Post #8 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice site. I llike the way that you use flash for both utility and for show. That takes skill.

I checked out your road trip section, especially the gunks (because I've never been to those other places). From a content standpoint, I strongly suggest you add a more local angle to your information. As it looks, a vanful of visiting V5ers (not to pick on the pebble-humpin' types) might assume that there is no sensitivity surrounding camping at the MUA.

I'm not suggesting you offer even a synopsis of the access or sensitivity issues at any of the climbing areas you highlight, nor do I want this thread to digress beyond contructive. I think you ought to put a mere "Be cautious when visiting any climbing area whose access situations are unknown to you. Always visit other areas with the respect you hope for from those who visit your own home crag." or perhaps something less wordy and to the point like "Don't be a jerk when you visit crags. Stay low key and meet the locals for info."

I really like that you have trad climbing in your videos. Nice job.

roambb1

Jan 26, 2005, 1:53 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quality Site. The video looks great as well. The layout, design, graphics and flow are well done. The footage was exciting, enough to make me look out my office window and sigh. I'm not very technical on web design, so my comments are certainly more from a general point of view. But... good job.
BB

uasunflower

Jan 26, 2005, 2:37 PM
Post #10 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great site overall, lots of work i imagine.

some technicalities:

- store section - it's annoying that the cooler/shirt image move all the time. Make them appear once, not constantly.

- road trips - no 'back' button when you get into the descriptions

- i would agree with some other comments that it's not clear what your purpose is for the site - personal sharing of info/hobby or pure business. Maybe it's good to blurr the line too...

xjicex

Jan 26, 2005, 3:01 PM
Post #11 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first layout is original. Very functional. THe next layer has a color
mismatch with the header image and the bgcolor on the page (at least
on my monitor).

Who is the band on the film clip?

scoddy

Jan 26, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #12 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the feedback all. Some of the changes you all suggested are already in the works... and some of them we were completly ignorant of, so thank you! Keep coming at us!
As for the music that was a band called Atreyu, the song being Deanne the Arsonist.

capcom1701

Feb 8, 2005, 5:20 PM
Post #13 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks good, and works well, I'm using Firefox on a Mac with OS 10.3 and everything checked out well. And you've got me thinking about buying your vid!
jon

false

Aug 7, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #14 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So we are coming back at you the public. Many new advancements on this site. So what do you think?

asandh

Aug 7, 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #15 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

Partner crgwhe

Aug 8, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #16 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the intention of your site? If it is to promote a product or service, you have lost my interest in the first 30 seconds your home page took to load. 5 min. 40 sec. to load the home page. 51 sec. for Armor, 47 sec. for Films and 3 min 8 sec. for Slide. If you haven't guessed by now, I’m on dial-up with no intention of changing to a faster connection.
Many times, when I Google a product or service, if the company main/home page doesn't load within a few seconds, I’m off to the next site on the list. As a business owner, I keep my web pages simple and direct to load quickly.
Also, your home page says nothing about who you are or the service/product you offer. I won’t bother reiterating about what asandh already posted except to say; it would be a definite good idea to provide a fast loading home page indicating your services. Something to grab the surfers attention. Once interested, a viewer would be more inclined to spend the extra time waiting for the flash videos to load.

renohandjams

Sep 12, 2005, 6:18 PM
Post #17 of 17 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flash is nice, but sometimes it is mainly used to distract from lack of content.

Forums : Archive : View this Website

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook