Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Improvements to Rock Ventures
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rockventures_gusgus

Jan 30, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Improvements to Rock Ventures  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Western_New_York: Rock_Ventures_Challenge_Center)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

They have repainted there walls and switched to gri-gri's. Also new routs are placed almost weekley and range from 5.5-5.15. The prices are as follows: $12 for 3 hours, $7 for a harness, shoes and helmet, and $1 for a chalk bag with chalk. They have 55 walls most with 5+ routs and an execlent staff. They also offer a $6 safety/belay course to become an RV certified belayer.

mbez

Jan 30, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improvements to Rock Ventures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously? :roll:

usmc_2tothetop

Jan 31, 2005, 2:17 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait a minute here....If I may go over some details

The paint job is a bunch of dinosours, Tikki men, and rainbows. Themes range from The Land Before Time to The Jungle Book. I keep thinking a 6ft. mouse named Chucky Cheese is going to pop out somewhere. You could be a "climber" there for years and still not know how to tie a figure 8. Nor would you know what a quickdraw is...there is no leading. Try not to anger the locals there, they out number you and if you piss them off they will run to their parents.

As for the new routEs (with an "e") placed weekly...this must be a new thing. What I do know is that the same holds are in the same spots in the cave. They have been that way for maybe 2 years now. If not more. And they have the same loose, spinning holds. When I say spinning I mean the holds get more rotation than my wheels do on the way over there.

I'm not sure about the 5.15 routes. I haven't seen them nor do I have any idea of who would be climbing them there. Maybe they are 5.15g. For Gay.

Bring lots of chalk. The holds are greasy so you will need the extra chalk. But don't bring any loose chalk You have to buy the socks. If you bring loose chalk a bi-polar man with a mustache will ask you to leave. Or he will throw your chalk in the garbage when your not looking (chalk bag and all).

The excellent (with 2 L's) staff will show you exactly how they want you to belay with the gri-gri. The AUTO-LOCKING gri-gri. Now make sure you do it exactly the way they want you to. If they see you doing it wrong they will interupt you WHILE your belaying your partner. Each staff roughly has their own belaying style, so depending on who is walking by try to do it the way they do. Don't use the "but so and so told me this" line it won't get you anywhere.

Last time I was there I'm pretty sure there were 3 walls and not 55. Anyways if you cut your phone bill and get a second job...you should have enough money to climb there about 3 or 4 times a week.

Happy Climbing.

Nathan.

grinspoon

Jan 31, 2005, 4:03 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm..I was gonna go into a rant, but my buddies already took care of it. RV is ghey

backspace

Feb 2, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought of adding to the list, but yeah I think my buddies got most of the major points covered here...
You'll never find anything worthwhile to a climber in RV - just family parties...
No respectable climber would be caught dropping 2 pennies on that counter, stepping through the front door or even driving into the parking lot for that matter…
the worse part about it all is that any new climber who goes there gets the RV impression of “this must be climbing”… and probably will continue going there until they get fed up or wise up and then never climb again...
A valuable and positive place for climbing... I give it a solid G for gay.

climbingbetty22

Feb 6, 2005, 3:28 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, my favorite was when some old dude came over, gave me a whole lecture on how to use a gri-gri (which I previously knew seeing as how I use to work in a climbing gym) despite the fact that I was using it properly, and then proceeds to harness up a group of small children in a grossly inadequate and unsafe manner. Seems to me you should get your own shit straight before you go around telling other people how its supposed to be, even they aren't doing anything incorrectly.

And if anyone is interested in trying that supposed 5.15, better bring your go-go gadget arms. Seeing as how there is nobody there who is climbing at that level (or anywhere near that for that matter) and how all that routes are pretty crappy since they are set by using a mechanical lift instead of someone actually trying the moves, you'd need the extra mechanical advantage. When trying any of the routes for that matter, expect an exercise in frustration more than climbing technique.

Yeah, Rock Ventures rocks! :roll:

mbez

Feb 8, 2005, 1:27 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it ain't all bad at RV, just damned close. There is a small number of actual climbers who do show up on occaision the place, there are some who try to set good routes (Peter & Serge [sry if I spelled your name wrong] among others), so if you really need to pull plastic and the barn's closed, you may be lucky and the kiddies will behave.

Did I actually just defend RV? WTF is wrong with me? :lol:

square_bear

Feb 17, 2005, 8:12 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rout(e)s aren't set with a mechanical lift anymore, that was just a summer fad. No go-go-gadget arms necessary... No 5.15's either, there are some good 11's though.
Not going to say the (Family Adventure) Gym is a great place, it's ugly and dirty. If you're looking to climb on Tuesday's Thursday's or weekends, suck it up and bring a lot of chalk.
My apologies for any belay (technique) corrections.
-Peter

P.S. Sign in the member book if you don't want to drop the cash to get in. Just write your name good and sloppy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook