RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

clintoris

Feb 2, 2005, 8:39 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Alaskan college students looking to climb Rainier in March
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In possible preparation for Denali in May, several of us from the University of Alaska Anchorage Outdoor Club are hoping to climb Rainier in the later part of March.

We are looking at doing either:

Gibraltar Ledge of Gibraltar Chutes (most likely)
Kautz Glacier

http://www.virtualinks.com/...cs/gibledges_med.jpg

Several of us (not me) have climbed Denali before and summited and are looking to do it to condition and practice. We all have sufficient glacier travel and are quite confident, but are looking not to be patronized, but given accounts and opinions from others who have climbed during the late winter season on Rainier.

I've lived in WA my entire life and just moved up to AK after I graduated high school in 2003. I've seen this mountain and always wanted to stand on top.

We have about a 10 day window so we are confident that we will catch at least a few days of good weather. We want to do it now because there aren't that many people on the mountain like in june or july, plus more of the crevasses are closed and the bridges are stronger.

What do you have to say?

akclimber

Feb 2, 2005, 9:09 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alaskan college students looking to climb Rainier in Mar [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks kool. I would stick to AK since we are already here. Have fun!

cgailey

Feb 2, 2005, 9:24 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since I have only been spit off the mountain and never actually summited, my post here may be a little useless. I have, however, spent a lot of time on the mountain, most of it around the area of the gib ledges (not much near the Kautz route. Because of the unseasonably warm temps this winter and low snowpack, you really will want to check with the Park Service regarding conditions, but I'm sure you know that already.

As far as first hand info, if I were you I would be digging on cascadeclimbers.com. Mike Gauthier is a regular visitor to that site, and there are many forums and discussions regarding winter ascents via gib ledges (not sure about winter up Kautz). The folks there are your best bet.

I hope your climb goes well!

clintoris

Feb 4, 2005, 4:20 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

upon talking to my friends, we now think we are going to do Liberty Ridge. Seems like a more majestic way to get to the top. Although some wouldn't consider it a "true" summit, it would be an awesome climb to the top. Plus, i'd be able to look at it from my old home back in WA every day, and say, I took that ridge up to the top!

Thoughts?
http://www.inergi.com/...k.parker/lrtopo2.jpg

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook