Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

hammerhead

Feb 4, 2005, 6:13 PM
Post #1 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Worst climbing movie EVER!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

My vote goes to Vertical Limit. I watched it a few weeks ago. Not only was the acting bad but the climbing scenes were awful. Escpecially when
the star of the show jumps across that big crevasse with and ice tool in each hand.
What movie makes the list for you?

Partner iclimbtoo

Feb 4, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #2 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Re: Worst climbing movie EVER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely Master's Of Stone V... :shock:

Jokes.

Anything that says it has to do with climbing, but doesn't. Cliffhanger, Vertical Limit, Xtreme Ops, etc. The only good climbing movies are actually about climbing and have real climbers in them...not Sylvester Stallone or some muscle bound freakoid...with the exception of Sharma. :lol:

rockgal

Feb 4, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #3 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The hands down winner - if you can find it and stand watching after the first 30 seconds or so- is Hallmark channels "Storm and Sorrow"

epilepticfox

Feb 4, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #4 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the Verticle Limit is a great movie.......if you treat it like a parody of a climbing meets action movie...........ill be the first to admit that the climbing in that movie was uber fake.......but to the point that its super funny to watch.......

grabngrip

Feb 4, 2005, 7:17 PM
Post #5 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

has anyone seen alien vs predator? there is some ice climbing in it. and they also have the bolt gun?

lockeyaaron

Feb 4, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you kidding me? Verticle Limit the worst? It is not supposed to be real, it is meant to be Hollywood. The two Australian guys in that movie are great.

As far as an "actual" climbing movie, the worst one that I have seen is "The Australia Project". It is a pathetic attempt to take gym climbers and get them on real rock. You actually start feeling bad for the climbers after a while.

remi

Feb 4, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #7 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any one of those movies where a bunch of guys in beanies stand around a rock yelling 'Stick it yo! Stick it yo! WOOORRRDDD That was sick dude!'

lockeyaaron

Feb 4, 2005, 7:54 PM
Post #8 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any one of those movies where a bunch of guys in beanies stand around a rock yelling 'Stick it yo! Stick it yo! WOOORRRDDD That was sick dude!'

Yeah on those you just have to mute it. The problems are normally pretty good but the music and encouragement leaves something to be desired. I do resent the beanie comment though. Doobie

neurostar

Feb 4, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #9 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
has anyone seen alien vs predator? there is some ice climbing in it. and they also have the bolt gun?

Haha, yea. I was excited when I saw the ice climbing in that.

jcr

Feb 4, 2005, 9:51 PM
Post #10 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think alot of you are getting very very veeeeery confused here..... as someone said in one of the posts, these are HOLLYWOOD movies meant to be exagerated and NOT real in order to give us a good time at the movies. Its like saying you dont like 007 movies because he does things secret agents dont do, I mean come ooon, these are great movies considering their nature.

I suggest if you want to critizise climbing movies infact speak of ACTUAL climbing movies or videos not movies that are not meant to be real. Dont go and watch Vertical Limit thinking you will see a documentary on the sport and think its going to help your climbing. You DO know these are NOT real climbers, do you????

JC

maldaly

Feb 4, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #11 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Vertical Limit is right up there as the worst. The best of the Hollywood movies is the Eiger Sanction with CLint Eastwood. The best of the real climbing movies is, by far, Parallelajams by Montrail. I watched it three times in the last month and can watch it again. It will be released in a full length version under the title, Return2Sender, in may. Check it out. Worst real climbing movie has to go to Pat Ament's Dream Fall. I can't even begin to describe it but when we endured it at its premier at Mountain Film in the early 80's, there was nothing but appalled silence at the end. Not one person applauded. Ouch.
mal

salathiel

Feb 4, 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #12 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The worst climbing movie ever has to be Hard Grit. Those guys practice the worst safety skills I have ever seen. I mean, right in the beginning that one guy gets hurt, and they never learn. Those crazy brits are poor ambassadors for the sport....

Think of the children. I think the film should be banned, and the makers of that travesty should be jailed for gross negligence. I am thinking of suing the filmmakers anyone up for a class action lawsuit?

Seriously though, the worst climbing movie ever is this straight to video schlock job that is about a city kid who moves in with his climbing god uncle in the country, coming to grips with himself, and the world around him. Bleeech! Its so bad, I cannot remember the name if it. Anyone?

Blur

sidepull

Feb 4, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #13 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, for real climbing videos (not Twerp Limit or Cliffspangler) I really didn't enjoy Scary Faces. Jules Verne isn't that scary but moreover the camera work was really bad and didn't generate enough intensity to back the weak narrative. Also, the bouldering vid at the end of that is also really bad - single camera action is so lame.

Shut Up and Climb is pretty weak too. It's just too inconsistent - sometimes there are voice overs, the fonts are all different, and there is no narrative, nothing to make me care about why the guy is climbing or why that problem should be important.

tarzan420

Feb 4, 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #14 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The best of the real climbing movies is, by far, Parallelajams by Montrail. I watched it three times in the last month and can watch it again. It will be released in a full length version under the title, Return2Sender, in may. Check it out.

where does one find this "parallelajams"? I am quite interested, for one.

onbelay_osu

Feb 4, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #15 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The best of the real climbing movies is, by far, Parallelajams by Montrail. I watched it three times in the last month and can watch it again. It will be released in a full length version under the title, Return2Sender, in may. Check it out.

where does one find this "parallelajams"? I am quite interested, for one.

my buddies got it from the trade show. it is soo sick! if you are into desert cracks done in a psuedo traditional style this is it! 5.13 finger cracks done on gear! JOY

btw not all hollywood movies suck http://www.blam1.com/...ges/12-002_title.jpg

phillygoat

Feb 5, 2005, 1:52 AM
Post #16 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally, I'm such a dork about climbing that I can watch pretty much anything. However, a rented a video called "Boulder!!!" from the gym and words can't describe how bad it was. Consider yourselves warned!

bonin_in_the_boneyard

Feb 5, 2005, 3:30 AM
Post #17 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! I like Clint's crane style 8^)

Not a bad movie. I was maybe 11 when I saw it. I distinctly remember the morning after the rock fall when Clint wakes up and his buddy's eating breakfast, and they're talking about the bearded chap who'd taken a block to the head. "He's dead." "How can you tell?" "I looked at him."

Best part, though, was when George Kennedy hid the beer in Clint's backpack when they climbed that spire. "Are you nuts?" "I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. You're the one who carried it up here."

Oh yeah, then there was Aunt Jemima :D

mtnlvr

Feb 5, 2005, 4:10 AM
Post #18 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Take it to the Limit" has got "Vetrical Limit" beat for sure.

'A troubled teenager joins a group of rock climbers and is quickly forced into a death-defying adventure.'

Check it out for a few good laughs.

kafish

Feb 5, 2005, 5:44 AM
Post #19 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK... I know some people will disagree but hey its life. Colorado Daydream has to be the worst video I have seen (just my opinion). Played too much on the trippy graphics and too much switching of angles mid move not to mention it just seemed to lack anything that motivated me.

anykineclimb

Feb 5, 2005, 6:02 AM
Post #20 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The made-for-TV movie of Into thin air was really, really bad.

I found Vertical Limit fairly entertaining, We were the only onces laughing histerically during the movie; escpecially when the father decks in the beginning

Eiger sanction is probably the best
Although not a "Hollywood" movie, Touching the Void was outstanding

steph

Feb 6, 2005, 3:54 AM
Post #21 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SCREAM OF STONE takes the cake for me. Apart from the bad dialogue, acting, lack of plot, etc... there were MAJOR technical stuff-ups.

u guys think Vertical Limit was bad??!! at least i found that entertaining and a fairly good watch. Compared to this pile of poo, VL's nothing!

The climber was "soloing" up Cerro Torre with a rope, taking falls etc while the camera did not show the belayer (who was obviously there). I guess if anything it was quite amusing to see their lack of climbing knowledge. It was even obvious to my mum (a non-climber fairly ignorant in the area)!!!

And there were more stuff-ups than that but u'd have to c 4 urself...

Buy it for $3.25 if you can find it and have a laugh!!!

climbingaz

Feb 6, 2005, 4:03 AM
Post #22 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cliff Hanger - by far the worst.

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 6, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #23 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cliff hanger, for sure. the beginning is by far the best. first, when the pair of climbers gets stranded on top of a spire, sylvester stalone needs to get to the top. 3 of the 4 sides of the spire are slabby, yet he decides to haul himself up the side with the 20 foot roof. bad routefinding maybe?

then, once on top of the spire with the people who are in trouble (yet they are both uninjured, and have all their gear and at least one rope wich they cud rap with), he and his buddies in the helicopter rig a cable from the spire to the chopper. the cable comes out of the helicopter, and stretches to a single bashed in pin. YIKES!

Then, during the famous scene where the girls harness buckle breaks while traversing the cable during the rescue, stalone stops the guy in the heli from coming to her aid, shouting about how "the setup is not rigged for two people!". I was watching it with JerseyClimber, who couldnt help but remark "Jesus that thing isnt rigged for one!!!"
(we rented it one nite after a day of climbing cuz we wanted a good laugh)

But, the one thing i do love about hollywood climbing movies, is the dramaticized fall scenes where people die. ill start cracking up in the theater cuz they are just so rediculous, and everyone stares at me like im some huge heartless beast cuz they think its "real"...good times

remi

Feb 6, 2005, 4:35 AM
Post #24 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only good climbing movies are scary movies, otherwise what's the point? I must say though, english trad is unique and cool!

james_climber

Feb 6, 2005, 7:11 AM
Post #25 of 87 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i havent seen the eiger something with clint, but the worst is VERTICAL LIMIT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook