RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

clymber

Feb 7, 2005, 3:30 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Accident in the Gunks 2/6/05
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

was bouldering in the Gunks today and heard sirens. When we got back to the car a ranger was there with a back board and stretcher and was told they justhad a rescue in the Near Trapps. Anyone have any word on it or idea what happened

fryinbacon

Feb 7, 2005, 4:18 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident in the Gunks 2/6/05 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner and I had just completed a climb in the nears and were walking past two girls cleaning routes after the litter had left. She told us that a climber they were with had taken a fall on Roseland 5.9.

She was unsure what part he had come off at.

There was a major litter operation though, looked like good people had been there to help out.

I don't know the climbers last name, so won't list any information that could be misleading.

I am unsure of his current condition. My thoughts go out to him and I hope he is well.

Please post any updates.

jtr109

Feb 8, 2005, 4:04 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first post on rc.com. I wish it was for something more pleasant.

I helped carry the guy out after his fall. I didn't see the accident, but the prevailing theory was that he fell from about 10-15 feet up. He was conscious and talking while we evacuated him, but had some trouble breathing and was in alot of pain, most of that in his side and back. When I first got to the spot where he was lying, I saw a cam and a draw left in a crack just above where he was, but I don't know what climb it was or even if it was his gear. Some other folks there were saying they thought a piece may have pulled on him, causing him to deck, but I didn't hear that from him or from anyone else who seemed to realy know for sure.

There was a great response from his fellow climbers, maybe fifteen or twenty who help carry the litter from the accident site to the road and several pros who did a great job packing him up and running the show.

I only caught the guy's first name. I hope he's doing alright.

jtr

fryinbacon

Feb 8, 2005, 1:10 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw the cam also - about 15 feet up in the crack that follows the dihedral. Although I only looked briefly it looked like a 24" runner with no biner - the climb is Roseland.

Thanks for posting. Sorry it was under these circumstances.

Thanks for taking part in the litter as well.

campo

Feb 9, 2005, 1:53 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear that everything went smoothly and that the climber got to where he needed to be in a hurry. A friend and I were up on Nice Crack Climb when we heard/saw the emergency crews on their way up. We were tempted to go aid, but with the amount of cars/people already there we figured we might just be getting in the way. Hope that all goes well for the injured and may he/she have a fast recovery! :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook