RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

mgr

Dec 29, 2004, 1:30 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Catskill Ice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, how is the ice in the Catskills area? Have any routes formed yet?

gunkiemike

Jan 4, 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Re: Catskill Ice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, when you asked, the answer was yes, but 5 days of 40-50 F temps have wiped it out. But fear not - there's a ton of running water and cold weather can't be far away. The best years often start with a rejuvenating little washout like this.

Yea, I'm an optimist...

pico23

Jan 29, 2005, 7:21 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, when you asked, the answer was yes, but 5 days of 40-50 F temps have wiped it out. But fear not - there's a ton of running water and cold weather can't be far away. The best years often start with a rejuvenating little washout like this.

Yea, I'm an optimist...

Just did a little hiking down there today. On the drive down it was evident it's a good season. From experience the last few years I can say that if Moores Bridge and Kaaterskill Clove are in and fat it's a good ice season everywhere else. Likewise the falls were all fat across Kaaterskill Creek. I didn't hike into Kaaterskill (falls) but I'm sure it's probably in with this snap. If your climbing this season I'd get out there.

Snowwise, it's disappointing. With all the snow we supposedly got in the Catskills I broke trail for 5 miles and never hit more than 3 feet for snow (in drifts) and the average depth was around 20inches or less. I was carrying about 20lbs for a workout putting my total weight about 200lbs and my 22in shoes were more than adequate in the powder. It's still a weak snow season. All in all it was a good day we did Twin starting at 2:45 and were back at the car by 7:30. There was some consideration in doing a loop via Platau but my partner didn't have his goretex and the fur and fleece just wasn't up to the snuff with the winds picking up so we abandoned that idea. The trip down actually took about as long because of the lack of snow.

On a funny note my dog is getting smarter in his middle aging years. He no longer breaks trail. He lets me do all the work, only when we get to the rocky sections does he take the lead. At first I thought he was lazy, than I realized this is why you don't get a dog smarter than you.

gunked

Feb 5, 2005, 5:04 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For ice conditions, also check out http://www.neice.com.

-Jason :D

stashyboy

Feb 8, 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:) :( Don't know about the 'cloves' but here at the Gunks it's Going, going......gone? We climbed on dry rock yesterday with 50 degree temps, sun and no wind, now if we can get rid of those pesky cross country skiiers on the carraige road! :wink: Seriously, there was rotten ice coming down 'Boston' and covering 'Ken's Crack' wait that sounds kinda kinky..... :P Catskills can't be far behind, weather says chance of rain/freexing rain tomm. perhaps we'll get another week or two of cold before 'real' spring warm up happens!?!? :shock:

pico23

Feb 8, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

catskill ice generally outlast the gunks. the cloves are colder and in the shade most of the day.

Places that will melt out in the warm are Moores Bridge (even though it's not in the sun per se), katterskill cove (no big deal), the waterfalls will also probably be melted out.

Stoney clove, deep notch, and the other areas should be fine for at least a little while.

The Gunks usually don't get too much ice with the sun hitting the cliffs directly most of the day. The season is generally short when they do. I've only climbed ice down there once in about 5 years. Although, there has been ice more than that. It's just such a short season you need to make sure you hit it.

pico23

Feb 8, 2005, 8:09 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

catskill ice generally outlast the gunks. the cloves are colder and in the shade most of the day.

Places that will melt out in the warm are Moores Bridge (even though it's not in the sun per se), katterskill cove (no big deal), the waterfalls will also probably be melted out.

Stoney clove, deep notch, and the other areas should be fine for at least a little while.

The Gunks usually don't get too much ice with the sun hitting the cliffs directly most of the day. The season is generally short when they do. I've only climbed ice down there once in about 5 years. Although, there has been ice more than that. It's just such a short season you need to make sure you hit it.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook