RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

deannimal

Jun 18, 2002, 4:59 AM
Post #1 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

I want to climb but don't have NEAR enough money for anythin
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ahhhh!!! I am poor! I want to climb but can't! Are there any Really cheap places? (in or near austin, tx?)

phyre

Jun 18, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #2 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

I want to climb but don't have NEAR enough money for anythin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

most of my climbing partners seem to have the same problem, as did I when I started. Your best bet is to make friends with climbers and start saving money. that way when you have enough to start getting gear you will know what you want to buy first, and what kind of gear you like.
phyre

micahmcguire

Jun 18, 2002, 5:19 AM
Post #3 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or you can do what I did and work for REI (blood-sucking bastards). they give you 50% off all REI gear and 30% off everything else.

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 18, 2002, 6:02 AM
Post #4 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$2 to climb at Reimer's Ranch southwest of Pace Bend St Park... Or at least it was when I climbed ther 2 years ago.

rrrADAM

rico

Jun 18, 2002, 6:51 AM
Post #5 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just look around for a good looking climber in your region!!!

cajunclimbere

Jun 18, 2002, 3:27 PM
Post #6 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If ya don’t have the money for gear then I suggest team up with somebody cool enough to share with ya that only things you might need for yourself is shoes harness and a locking biner unfortunately they can run ya a penny or two by themselves. As far as gyms go, prices are jacked up. I think that your best bet is to team up and get up on some real rock with somebody experienced PLEASE. A lot of us from here gots a trip planned for this weekend I will share my gear with ya PM me if you can go. The sites are even paid for so all it would cost you is gas for the trip.

Climb hard but safe

punk

Jun 18, 2002, 3:35 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time to make a friend with couple of climber and leach on their graceness
Little by little you will start accumulating gear… $2 here...$30 there...Bonus booty... and you will be alright before you know it
First thing first...go make friends!!

climb safe

[ This Message was edited by: punk on 2002-06-18 08:50 ]

wiegs

Jun 18, 2002, 3:36 PM
Post #8 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're a bargain hunter, you can get stuff pretty cheap. Singing Rock makes some harnesses of very good value ($35) and the Black Diamond Momentum harness is also fairly cheap. If you catch them at the right time, some gyms sell used shoes, just call ahead to make sure they have some for sale. That's what 2 of my friends did. I've been wanting to get into climbing so long I went kinda nuts and bought a nice harness, and good shoes. But that has severly limited any other entertainment I can do for quite a while...Budgeting money SUCKS. But it's whatcha gotta do when you have this NEED to climb like I do....

fredalbaroad

Jun 18, 2002, 10:05 PM
Post #9 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's definitely possible to start by keeping it on the cheap side. Start by toproping -- all you'll need is some webbing, a few locking biners, and a rope. If you know any climbers, they probably have that stuff already.

Decent shoes and harness can be gotten relatively cheaply (particularly if you keep an eye out for used shoes, like someone else here already said). Add a belay device, and you're set to go.

There's a ton of stuff you can spend $$ on if you get going, but you don't need it to start out. Just get out there.

(oh, and really try try try to find someone who knows what they are doing to teach you. There's too many gumbies out there already)

br

jakewolf

Jun 18, 2002, 10:24 PM
Post #10 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to riemer's ranch you will mett other climbers who have gear. You need to look at what you have to offer. If you have a car this is a plus, but if not don't worry. I assume you are new to climbing because you don't have any gear. This may be a blessing in disguise, you need a mentor. Find an experienced partner and learn everything you can, they will be greatful to have a partner who is happy belaying and following. This has worked great in our climbing club and has produced some good climbers. For local climbing go to http://www.texasmountaineers.org
for gear www.barrabes.com

[ This Message was edited by: jakewolf on 2002-06-18 15:34 ]

elvislegs

Jun 18, 2002, 10:31 PM
Post #11 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word dude, EBAY, that's all you need. Just try to find gear that hasn't been run through the grinder. I have bought most of my gear on ebay with the exeption of some pro and rope. As long as you look closely it is usually good stuff. Bid conservatively.

melonhead

Jun 18, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #12 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, just freesolo all the time. I would, but in realities world you should try barrebas (check my spelling). A great CHEAP site. Good luck.

Partner calamity_chk

Jun 19, 2002, 12:00 AM
Post #13 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you might also want to sign up for various newsletters (mountaingear.com, etc) .. depending on your size and patience, you can get some really great deals.

jman

Jun 19, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #14 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say try to get a job at a local rock gym and you can take advantage of an employee discount and you can get to know a lot of experienced climbers who may have extra gear you can borrow. As long as you know some other climbers you can get away with just having a harness, shoes, and maybe a belay device and locking carabiner. I have a friend who for a year or so after they started climbing got away with just having shoes cause she knew enough climbers with extra gear.

orestes1724

Jun 19, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #15 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would say the best solution, get a job. and get one at a local climbing gym or an outdoor store that sells gear. getting a job at a gym or climbing store will not only get you money to get gear, but it will get you partners. and you might even get discounts.

miagi

Jun 20, 2002, 2:27 AM
Post #16 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, first off just like people said, is to make friends and borrow their gear. All you really need is shoes, chalkbag and chalk. Chalkbag and chalk is cheap, and shoes can be bought for an extremely cheap price at www.sportextreme.com. A mere $60 for boreals. If you can buy ANYTHING, then borrow everything from a friend. If you have no climbing friends then boulder with no crash pad or a seat cushion. As for shoes, just try to find a tight pair of shoes. Those submersable water shoes for like $5 are good

ky_boulder

Jun 20, 2002, 2:50 AM
Post #17 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you just have to look around to find great stuff for almost nothing. i got my boreal aces for $66, petzl calidris for $56, maxim 10.5x60m for $86. but miagi's right. to start off, all you need is shoes and chalk/chalk bag. go bouldering at enchanted rock, i went there last weekend, the better stuff is on little rock I think. You 'could' go to gregory gym, but it's a damn ripoff honestly. I'm not sure what other rock gyms there are in the area, but they aren't too hard to find. (if you're just starting out, than the $ i listed above might sound like alot, but they are much higher at retail price. foreign suppliers will cost you less because US distributors must pay extra for insurance, blah blah, lots of extra tax crap, so they pretty much can't sell it any cheaper.

cyberclimber

Jun 20, 2002, 9:54 PM
Post #18 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aint no such thing as too poor to climb. Find some boulders and go for it. If the boulders you find are any good, there will be other climbers there. Make a few friends and you will be invited to go on some taller climbs in no time. You will want to get some rock shoes the first chance you get, because they make a BIG difference, but see what shoes your new friends like before you buy, previous posts give good advice for getting them on the cheap. You are really lucky in that Bull Creek, Barton Creek Greenbelt, Lake Travis and Reimers Ranch are all really close for you. Last I heard, Reimers Ranch only costs $4.00 the first time, they give you a pin and with the pin it only costs $3.00 for each visit after that, you can't even see a movie for that. Check some of the other posters from this forum who live in Austin and ask if they would like a new partner or get dirrections to the climbing areas from them.
Rock on

codey

Jun 20, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #19 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea a job but I am too young so I have to get money other ways and climbing is very expencive.

vaness

Jun 21, 2002, 11:42 AM
Post #20 of 20 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude go hang out at the gy. if you dont have engough money at the time to pay to climb dont climb-- just sit there talking to peopoe. you can do that right? its a good way to make some friends. eventully they will ask you to climb with them or you could even ask them if you can tag along.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook