RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

zozo

Nov 18, 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Looking for snowshoes.....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That would be good for steeper slopes. Summits and stuff. I have a pair for the backcountry already. What do you have and do you like them?

Thanks

chossdog

Nov 18, 2004, 7:29 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Re: Looking for snowshoes..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you looked at the old style MSR Denali Ascent's? I've used them for a number of years and they seem to perform well in the steep icy stuff. They are light and have stood to a fair amount of abuse from me.

zozo

Nov 18, 2004, 7:31 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked at some msr's that had a heel bar. Are those the ones you are talking about? If some people here give them a good report I might actually get those.

aklimerguy

Nov 18, 2004, 7:32 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried many, and I prefer the MSR Denali ascent. They're light and compact, plus have a clip that raises under the heel to diminish calf fatigue on steep terrain. They're narrower than other snow shoes, which helps on narrow paths. The down side is the rubber straps. I'm not sure how many seasons they're going to last nor it they're trustworthy on long trips.

my 2

g

killclimbz

Nov 18, 2004, 7:51 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MSR Denali Ascents are nice. The heel bar is nice to have. I also know that the Wilderness Exchange has last years demo line. I think it's around $150 for one with the climbing bar and $100 without. They are used since they were demo's, but from what I understood, they still come with the full manufacturer warranty. It's not like you won't beat the crap out of them anyway. They should climb well as the shoes have a very aggressive crampon setup.

Even better are verts, they climb super steep snow better than anything. The drawback is that they work like crap on flats. They are light and easy to fit in our pack though. They are a little hard to find these days but would be well worth it for what you are considering. Check out this article at Couloir mag. Basically these will climb up just about anything except ice.

Partner uitdoorqi

Nov 18, 2004, 8:01 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey ZO, I have a pair of MSR Denali Ascents with the heel riser. They're great, lightweight, have an aggresive track, and are really flexible. I'm pretty sure you can order replacement parts since MSR is good at that. Also, you can configure the shoes for the terrain. They have tails of verying lengths you can buy to give more float in powder or when carrying weight. This years line also have an all metal track on the bottom (mine are two years old and the track was hard plastic).

When we were up near Jones Pass the other week, a couple was snowshoeing. He had the Denalis and she had something else (Atlases?). She was trying to sell her shoes right there on the spot to buy some Denalis back in town. Hope that that helps!

You'll have to come out with us some weekend. See ya out!

usmc_2tothetop

Nov 18, 2004, 8:02 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also looking for a pair and I have not used them but some of the MSRs look nice. They have the teeth all around the rim. The thing I have to be concious of is the weight limit of the snowshoe and the consideration of my pack.

Partner uitdoorqi

Nov 18, 2004, 8:04 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm also looking for a pair and I have not used them but some of the MSRs look nice. They have the teeth all around the rim. The thing I have to be concious of is the weight limit of the snowshoe and the consideration of my pack.

Check out my previous post. The Denalis have tails you can buy to give you more float when you're carrying weight or the snow is deep.

zozo

Nov 18, 2004, 8:09 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Derec,

Im sold. I was leaning towards them anyway. I can even get them cheap as I have new friends that works at REI !

While Im here, let's plan something. My partners for this weekend are talking about bailing cuz it's gonna be COLD??! :roll:

Partner uitdoorqi

Nov 18, 2004, 8:14 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
While Im here, let's plan something. My partners for this weekend are talking about bailing cuz it's gonna be COLD??! :roll:

Cold?!!! Come on, it's Colorado! I'm pretty tied up until after Thanksgiving. Parents are coming in town this weekend and I'm headed to Moab next week with some stops along to way to board. What days are good for you to climb during the week? I've been twice this week (gym). D

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$80.06 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)
$1.35 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook