RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Sebastian777

Mar 29, 2013, 6:11 AM
Post #1 of 15 (11283 views)
Shortcut

Cheap Rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do a little hiking here in KY with friends. There's a favorite spot of ours that requires climbing down a 10-15 foot drop to get to. (The drop leads to a flat ledge which is about 100' ft high) Then we have to walk on a narrow ledge while hugging a wall. As I'm getting older and possibly wiser, I'm starting to want a little extra assistance and insurance while on the narrow ledge and scaling back up that drop. I've talked to a couple of friends about a budget rope and they suggested like this:
http://cruisermarine.com/...ainless-thimble.html
For the experts here, what's your opinion on using something like this? I know it's not actual climbing rope, but would it serve my purpose? I figure the thimble on the rope would be nice so I don't have to tie a knot to secure the rope to the tree I plan on anchoring it to.

Syd

Mar 29, 2013, 9:54 AM
Post #2 of 15 (11262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sebastian777] Cheap Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How long is the ledge walk and how wide is the ledge ?

yodadave

Mar 29, 2013, 2:44 PM
Post #3 of 15 (11215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not really much cheaper than climbing rope ($/ft) and if you buy climbing rope you could use an ascending and descending device to keep you even safer.

wivanoff

Mar 29, 2013, 9:56 PM
Post #4 of 15 (11138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get dynamic rope "shorts" from Gear Express. Probably other places, too. Might be enough for what you need.

http://www.gearexpress.com/c-36-short-ropes.aspx

justroberto

Mar 30, 2013, 4:01 AM
Post #5 of 15 (11088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sebastian777 wrote:
I do a little hiking here in KY with friends. There's a favorite spot of ours that requires climbing down a 10-15 foot drop to get to. (The drop leads to a flat ledge which is about 100' ft high) Then we have to walk on a narrow ledge while hugging a wall. As I'm getting older and possibly wiser, I'm starting to want a little extra assistance and insurance while on the narrow ledge and scaling back up that drop. I've talked to a couple of friends about a budget rope and they suggested like this:
http://cruisermarine.com/...ainless-thimble.html
For the experts here, what's your opinion on using something like this? I know it's not actual climbing rope, but would it serve my purpose? I figure the thimble on the rope would be nice so I don't have to tie a knot to secure the rope to the tree I plan on anchoring it to.

This sounds a lot like the waterfall thread from a few years ago.

If you're serious, you might want to explain how you plan on using the rope. If you're just wrapping it around the tree and tying some overhand knots every few feet for handholds, just get any old cheap 1/4" nylon rope and tie a permanent overhand on a bight in place of the metal thimble. You'll spend 10 dollars instead of 60.

Sebastian777

Mar 30, 2013, 4:38 AM
Post #6 of 15 (11078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Cheap Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
This sounds a lot like the waterfall thread from a few years ago.

If you're serious, you might want to explain how you plan on using the rope. If you're just wrapping it around the tree and tying some overhand knots every few feet for handholds, just get any old cheap 1/4" nylon rope and tie a permanent overhand on a bight in place of the metal thimble. You'll spend 10 dollars instead of 60.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I was thinking half inch rope because it's easier to grab when you're not grabbing a knot.
When looking for a rope, I want to make sure it's tough enough to withstand being thrown over the edge of a cliff. It will be rubbing against rock.
I also want to make sure it's strong enough to hold a person up to 300 lbs. (I'm guessing that means I need a working load greater than 600 lbs to account for knots weakening it. PLEASE TELL ME IF I'M WRONG!) The rope failing would likely be life threatening.
While saving money would be absolutely fantastic as I have a lot expenses right now, I don't want to cheap out and that lead to serious injury or death.

Sebastian777

Mar 30, 2013, 4:50 AM
Post #7 of 15 (11074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wivanoff] Cheap Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wivanoff wrote:
You can get dynamic rope "shorts" from Gear Express. Probably other places, too. Might be enough for what you need.

http://www.gearexpress.com/c-36-short-ropes.aspx

This might be just what I need, thanks.
Just to be clear, are all the ropes on that page actual climbing rope? Will they be strong enough to support a person weighing 300 lbs? Will they be able to hold up to rubbing against a rock ledge?

I'm highly considering this rope here:
http://www.gearexpress.com/...ck.aspx#.UVZtfRykpkk

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? As I mentioned above, cheap is awesome, but I want to make sure I'm making a safe choice as well.

wivanoff

Mar 30, 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #8 of 15 (11043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) All the ropes on that page I linked are "climbing" ropes.
2) All the ropes on that page will support the weight of a person.
3) Static ropes seem to be more abrasion resistant than dynamic ropes. If constant rubbing against an edge, please consider adding a rope protector or padding the edge with extra clothing, a scrap of carpet, etc.

It's hard to imagine that 1/4" nylon rope from Home Depot is rated to support human life. I think using that would be a very bad idea. I would not use that boating anchor rope, either.

It sounds like you've done this 'route' in the past without a rope and perhaps the 10-15' section is not really vertical. Is that correct?

Syd

Mar 30, 2013, 9:11 PM
Post #9 of 15 (10978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly what are you planning to do ? It sounds like you're tying the rope off at the top and throwing it over, then using it to protect your traverse on the ledge ?
If so, a dynamic rope is not a good idea.

Sebastian777

Mar 30, 2013, 10:31 PM
Post #10 of 15 (10968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Cheap Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm tying the rope to a solid tree, tying some knots or loops in it, throwing it over the edge. Use it to climb down a 15' drop off to a ledge. Then use it to help me get to our spot where the ledge is less than 8" wide to stand on.

The drop off is pretty much vertical. The ledge is to a 100'+ cliff.
I ordered this rope here:
http://www.gearexpress.com/...ck.aspx#.UVdjyxykpkl

It's static, 3/8", 75'. I THINK it will serve my purpose well. Please let me know if this won't work or is unsafe to use for my purpose.

Here is a pic I found online of the place. Around the corner is where we climb down, then hug the rock to get into the spot.

acorneau

Mar 31, 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #11 of 15 (10938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sebastian777 wrote:
I'm tying the rope to a solid tree, tying some knots or loops in it, throwing it over the edge. Use it to climb down a 15' drop off to a ledge. Then use it to help me get to our spot where the ledge is less than 8" wide to stand on.

The drop off is pretty much vertical. The ledge is to a 100'+ cliff.
I ordered this rope here:
http://www.gearexpress.com/...ck.aspx#.UVdjyxykpkl

It's static, 3/8", 75'. I THINK it will serve my purpose well. Please let me know if this won't work or is unsafe to use for my purpose.

Here is a pic I found online of the place. Around the corner is where we climb down, then hug the rock to get into the spot.

So you're going to just hold on to the rope with your hands?

That sounds smart.

Unimpressed

wivanoff

Mar 31, 2013, 1:49 AM
Post #12 of 15 (10919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should have posted the photo to begin with. Looks dangerous with or without a rope. I would not recommend that you Batman down a rope to that cave. My vote is you should get some personal instruction even if you have to pay for it.

Sebastian777

Mar 31, 2013, 8:41 AM
Post #13 of 15 (10877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wivanoff] Cheap Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Believe it or not, it's not quite as bad as it looks. Sure a fall would be bad, but you're actually leaning forward against the rock for the most part when navigating to the cave.
I guess you would call it a cave, it's actually kinda of an odd spot. It almost looks like a giant ice cream scoop was used to make that hole. It's a spherical shaped room about the size of a bathroom. Probably about 10-12' in diameter. It's actually called the Eagle's Nest.

On a side note, I know some basic knots, but am wondering what would be the best ones to use for 3 different purposes:
1. Securing the rope by tying it to a tree.
2. To create a loop to grab and/or put your foot in to for climbing up.
3. A large knot to use just for grabbing and pulling up for climbing.

(This post was edited by Sebastian777 on Mar 31, 2013, 8:55 AM)

JAB

Mar 31, 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #14 of 15 (10864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Bowline
2. Alpine butterfly
3. Overhand or 8

(This post was edited by JAB on Mar 31, 2013, 12:17 PM)

Syd

Mar 31, 2013, 9:34 PM
Post #15 of 15 (10826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it properly. Put a sling around the tree so you don't damage it and kill it. Put a biner on the sling. Get a harness, ATC, prussik, and learn how to rap safety. Don't forget to tie knots in the end of the rope.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook