Sinhgad meaning Lion Fort, is located near the city of Pune, India, situated on a hill rising 800 metres above the surrounding countryside. The base of the fort is approximately 550 meter (1800 ft) above sea level, and its top is 1,350 m (4,430 ft) above sea level. The fort is surrounded by many natural cliffs of Basalt rock.
On the south side of the fort there are 9 Sport Climbing Routes grading from 5b to 7c.
Route No. Route Name Grade Top
1 Edge 5b Mylone
2 Da Vinci 5b Mylone
3 Jack Pot 7c Chain Bolts
4 Bhushan Boulder 6a Chain Bolts
5 Dyno Trap 5c Chain Bolts
6 Golden Pocket 6c Hangers
7 Young and Dynamic (YD) 5c Chain Bolts
8 Chhota Chhat 6a Chain Bolts
9 Land Slide 6a Chain Bolts
1. Edge, 5b: This complete route is on the edge of the cliff. For the three clips all the moves are balancing moves. After the third clip there is one ledge. From there again some balancing moves to complete the route.
2. Da Vinci, 5b: This route starts from the crack. After three clips route joined to “Edge”. But for that there is full stretched move which reminds you the famous great artist Leonardo Da Vinci’s sketch of Vitruvian Man.
3. Jack Pot, 7c: Highest graded route among all the 9 routes. In this route there are some crimpy, dynamic and balancing moves. Moves on clips 5th to 7th are really hard ones, which includes balanced as well dynamic moves. There are total 10 hangers in this route.
4. Bhushan Boulder, 6a: This route starts from one big boulder. This includes some bouldering moves with start. Half route is on the boulder then shifted to the rock face.
5. Dyno Trap, 5c: A very interesting route with 8 clips. Route is having some dynamic moves. There are some jug holds and ledges also. Very good route for the beginners.
6. Golden Pocket, 6c: Route is on an almost vertical rock face. Only 6 clips are there. All the moves are crimpy and need a great balance. Especially for last moves which includes some cross moves also.
7. Young and Dynamic (YD), 5c: Very good route for the beginners. Route is having 6 clips. One move after 4th clip is shifting move which is the hard one.
8. Chhota Chhat, 6a: Nice and crimpy route with 6 clips. There are some balancing and crimpy moves. Some moves on overhang.
9. Land Slide, 6a: This route is on extreme right side. In this route there are some richee moves which are hard moves. Route has common station of “Chhota Chhat”.
These are some sports routes which are on Sinhgad Fort. There can be many routes still to open which can be 9a or harder than that.
70 km. from the Pune city the area called Plus Valley. In the Plus Valley there are many sports routes grading from the 5a to 7b+. Some are multiple stations routes almost 350’ to 400’. There are some bouldering areas also. I will cover that in my next article.
So those who are interested to climb (natural and artificial) or need any information about climbing area near Pune or in Maharashtra, please contact:
Pune – India.