The rock massif has a rainbow form. Its length is over 1 km. It is situsted almost 6 km away from the town in the east part of the wooden defile of the river Yantra, called Dervent.
There are many small and big caves along the rock string; in three of them are found traces from the cave dweller, who lived here during the neolithic. During the Middle Ages some of the caves were used as hermits' cells and chapels by the monks. At the foot of the central part of the massif is situated the monastery ,,St. Trinity", which is considered to be found in the 14th century; later patriarch there was Evtimii Turnovski. That is one of the most famous cloisters in the vicinities of the town and many historic-si events from the time of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom are connected with it.The work on the rocks, making climbing routes, starts in 1989, when a round of the World Championship for climbing took place here. Later on the work on the rocks is continued by the climbers and alpinists from the local clubs. In 1992 with the help of the Bulgarian Alpine Club here in Turnovo are invited the French specialists Jan Mark Trossier and Pierre Fever, who lead a course on route's making and equipment of rocks. Every year the number of the routes grows up and at the moment they are over 100 /one hundred/.
The final of the massif near to the village of Samovodene is exposed to the northeast. The rocks there are high about 35 m. and stay is shadow almost throughout the whole day. Towards the monastery the rocks massif is separat into two levels of rocky terraces, where a path is going. At the end of the path two big rock cavities are situated, resembling the entrances of cares. At that place the density of the routes is the highest and most of them has the lenhth of 10 - 25 m. and deviation from the level of the ground 1 to 8 m. Most of the day the rocks are shadowed; that is why the place is preffered by climbers, especially during the hot summer days. In their central part the rocks have southwest exposure. The density of the routes is lower but here the length is in the limits of 50 to 80 m. At the other end of the rocks string, situated near to the town, the rocks have almost southern exposure. At that place there are only a few routes which are 15 to 40 m. long. But the roofs and the specific rock structure makes them extraordinarily interesting and preffered by well-trained climbers. Information: Found in 1902, almost a century-ago, the tourist association ,,Trapezitsa-1902"in the town of Veliko Turnovo makes reservations and provides transport, qualified tourist quides and insructors for hiking and ski-tourism, alpinism and climbing rocks and artificial walls.orienteering. Accommodation:-Tourist hotel"Trapezitsa"-situated in the centre of Veliko Turnovo. e-mail: info@mail. trapezica.com http://www. trapezica.com