Welcome to rock climbing in the yukon (whitehorse and surrounding area). The area is home to a 100 or so established single pitch routes. We are relatively untouched when it comes to the almost endless potential the area possess. Golden canyon alone has potential for 10-20 more routes in the existing canyon and there is also 2 more parallel canyons just waiting for exploration and route development (I have heard the one canyon has had some routes put up in it a few years back!)
We have quite the assortment of rock up here, for example we have limestone (Grey Mountain, White Mountain) as well as some great granite (Silver Slab, Rock Gardens) as well as some interesting basalt (Magee Crags), just to mention a few.
A few things to keep in mind when climbing around here is:
- BEWARE OF BEARS! this is serious bear country.
- Be very careful with all plant-life.... it takes a long time for any of these guys to grow up here
please pack out what ever you pack in.
- Watch for falling/loose rock... we don%u2019t get allot of traffic in some of the crags so there is some loose rock out there to watch out for.
- Some of the climbing areas are quiet remote and the cell coverage isn%u2019t that great... so always pack a first aid kit and make sure someone know where you are!
- Please set proper anchors.... Don%u2019t just run your rope thru the anchor hangers... it%u2019s unsafe as well as wears out the hangers.
- Please rap down (when you can) after cleaning your anchors, it will help prolong the life of our hardware.
For more up to date info goto www.climbyukon.net