About Friction Wall:
This area is a abandoned quarry that supplied the stone from which much of Ellicott City was built. The quarry supplied stone for the Baltimore Cathedral between 1806 and 1821. (This was a significant building for the whole nation at the time, because of its neoclassic design and impressive size.)
Access: Be careful getting here, keep a low profile (the woods is park property, the tracks is tresspassing!). The closest parking is metered, and the maids are strict. Do not park in non-designated or private spots!
Climbing: There are about 20 routes that can be led or toproped. This 60' high exposure of granite-gneiss rock is very strong so leading can be very nice here, However use care where the quarry cut penetrates the soil of the hillside above.
Also please be very careful setting topropes!!! the cliff top is a very unstable sandy composition and a slip could be fatal! Use a tether to save your butt!
This rock is best after a few day of dry weather. (Many routes at nearby Ilchester dry in a few hours.) Every route here can also be toproped with long slings or static rope from stout trees.
Weather: The crag faces north, so it is shady during all seasons. It does get swampy in the late spring and summer, watch out for chiggers and shoe swallowing mud in parts of the quarry. Also the sustained humidy it not much fun in the summer. Chalk up!
Ice: During good winters there are opportunities for ice and mixed climbing in Quarry Center and Right. See area description for details.
|Nearest town or city:||Ellicott City|
|Directions:||Park by the B&O Railroad Museum in Ellicott City. Walk downsteam, along the tracks, past the flour mill (which is on the opposite bank) a few hundred yards to the old quarry. Stay off the tracks and be alert for trains.|
|When to Climb:||Update|
|Quantity of Climbs:||Week|