Sauratown (temporarily CLOSED)
About Sauratown (temporarily CLOSED):
Due to recent fires, Sauratown is closed to climbing until further notice. Check these area notes for periodic updates.
Sauratown is a great winter destination near Winston-Salem. Local climbers can get on outstanding sport routes like Skin Toy and Shock the Monkey, then move over to tall trad lines like Whisky Sour.
It's vital to be aware that climbing at Sauratown is very much a below-the-radar proposition. The crag is on private property, and neighboring landowners are unfriendly to climbers. Access to Sauratown basically depends on the property owners being able to look the other way; any bad behavior by climbers will likely put an end to climbing here.
Some basic guidelines:
* Drive slowly on the private property and park in the middle of the parking lot. Don't park near the house or swimming pool. Don't park at the top of the mountain under any circumstances. Carpooling is a great idea.
* No climbing in summertime.
* No camping, partying or general hanging out; keep your voice low and avoid bad language. If you want to do anything other than climb, go somewhere else.
* DO NOT BRING DOGS TO SAURATOWN.
* Always keep a low profile. If anyone asks, you're hiking.
|Nearest town or city:||Winston-Salem|
|Directions:||Hook up with someone who already knows how to get there.|
|Access Issues:||Landowners have requested climbers not visit the crag when the camp is in session, which is the summer months. To be safe, you'll want to stay out of Sauratown between late April and early September. Please do your part to preserve access.|
|When to Climb:||Winter|
|Quantity of Climbs:||Week|
Forum Discussions (5 posts)
|Still Closed?||johnwhitehead||4||Jan 27 2014, 12:04 AM|
|Sauratown fire closure still in effect||csproul||22||Nov 21 2011, 8:34 AM|
|Sauratown Threatened by Forest Fire||saxfiend||8||Mar 31 2008, 10:43 PM|
|Partner for Thanksgiving weeked||bigredscowboy||4||Nov 28 2007, 10:52 PM|
|New Sauratown Access Issue||j_ung||9||Dec 19 2005, 1:12 PM|