RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

tallmark515

Nov 1, 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #1 of 4 (4565 views)
Shortcut

Home Made Portaledge desgin
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is my portaledge plan, based upon the Fish Double Whammy (bedding and frame) and the BD ledge (corner pieces, corner webbing connectors and webbing design/suspension system). I'm estimating the total to be around $300. Still cheaper than anything else on the market and just as bomber (as long as everything is assembled as planned).

Everything will be able to be broken down. To secure the half ends of the 7' frame tubes, I'll be using a 6" length tube with a 1" ID (as a coupler) to fit each end of the (3.5') tube into to create the 7' frame length. The other frame tubes will be stored at their regular length.

To secure the tubes to the corner pieces (see attached picture), the long tubes will be bolted in (bolt head will be a hanger to clip in webbing for hanging points). The short tubes will be secured by the pull created from the bedding (similar to the BD design).

Attached are pictures of the webbing setups/suspension system, I'll be using 3 webbing setups to hang the ledge (securing each corner and both middle points of the 7' tubes)

Also attached is a picture of the corner block. The pic is actually from the BD portaledge booklet, but my corner piece will be using the same design.

Specs and supplies below:

--FRAME—
4 – 38.5" Alloy Steel 4130 tubes (4130 ChroMoly, .875 OD, .035" wall) [or 1" OD]

2 - 43" Alloy Steel 4130 tubes (4130 ChroMoly, .875 OD, .035" wall) [or 1” OD]

Total: 240” or 20ft - $3.98/ft (~$80)

---

---CORNER PIECES---
4 – (L)3” x (W)1.5” x (H)1.5” 6061 T6 Aluminum bars
Total: $10

Custom drill Aluminum block into corner pieces (2 – 1” dia holes)
$100 per hour (Approx. time – no more than 1hr)

---

--BEDDING--
3 yds of 60" 420 Denier Coated Nylon Pack Cloth.
~ $10

---

--BUCKLES & WEBBING--
3 - 14’ sections of 1” webbing ($15)
6 – ancra buckles ($40)
21 bartacks ($21)

---

Let me know what you all think. Questions, comments and criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

-mark
Attachments: corner block.JPG (11.9 KB)
  webbing design.JPG (30.4 KB)

summerprophet

Nov 1, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #2 of 4 (4532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallmark515] Home Made Portaledge desgin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

$300 seems pretty lean for what you want to do, I made my own ledge based on the old A5 ledge and it ran me about $300 total

$120 1 1/4 OD Extruded Aluminum tubing (.125 wall) , 1 1/4 solid aluminum blocks for corners
$ 80 1000 denier cordura, 28oz PVC (for wall side of ledge and bag)
$ 40 1" webbing, 6 ancra buckles, 8' 3/8 webbing
$ 30 stitching the bedding by a awning shop (triple stitched, PVC strip added, grommet added)
$ 10 12' of 1/4" bungy cord,

The machining I did myself under the guidance of another climber (also building a ledge.... a triple!!!) who had access to a school machine shop.
The stitching of the webbing was done in exchange for some photos of the ledge in use (thank you Panther Sling and Rigging)

Tips and tricks to save you some cash;
Sew up, (or atleast chalk the stitchlines) of your bedding for the industrial stitching guy, it saves them from measuring and wasting time for custom work.
Tape the webbing where you want it bartacked (but not where the needle penetrates the fabric) (use masking tape)
Use different colors for the two different lengths of adjusting straps, it makes for easier assembly, and setup on the wall.
(actually every length is a diffferrent length, but you get the idea.
Your mid frame connectors should be inside the main tubes, not outside, to make it easier to slide the bedding over the tubes. Get this in as thick wall as you can find, it is going to be a high stress point.
Remember to cover your bungy cords with the 3/8 webbing to protect against abraision against the tubes when the ledge is folded up.

I don't have your plans in front of me right now, but I don't remember webbing to the midpoints of the long tubes, you want this.

If you want any more advice, or want photos of my ledge, I could send them your way.

Good luck

kane_schutzman

Nov 1, 2007, 4:32 PM
Post #3 of 4 (4473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Home Made Portaledge desgin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ll take some pictures of my friends homemade ledge. He said the main problem was getting the fabric on the floor tight when it was setup, there was always some sag in it...

tallmark515

Nov 1, 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #4 of 4 (4415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] Home Made Portaledge desgin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking about using the BD buckle design. They use 3 straps and buckles at one end to tighten the bedding. However, it may be more trouble than its worth.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook