RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

zoebird

May 29, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Yay! I'm going Outside!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, i know this seems crazy considering my other post thta is only a few days old. . .

but here it is. . .

after all of the great encouragement from those of you on RC, from thinking about it on my own, i decided that i wanted to 'open myself up' to going outside to climb.

in order to make a stand in this regard, i signed myself, my husband, and two of our friends up for an intro outdoor climb in the fall. i then decided that i wanted to do one sooner, so i got the info from my local gym about when they were doing outdoor excursions. Most of them were on days when i worked, so i just said to my self "what will be will be."

yesterday, while belaying for a kids climb, a guy at the gym whom i really trust asked me if i would like to come out for a climb *tomorrow.* Of course, i said "yes!" without even thinking about it. So much for fear of being outside. LOL

Anyway, i had to fiddle my way out of a meeting with the in laws, but it all works out because hubby is super cool. Thank goodness for that. Unfortunately, he couldn't fiddle both of us out!

I have no idea where we're going, but i'm packing some food, some rain gear (as if i would for a hike), and i borrowed a friend's digital camera. Hopefully, i won't break it. LOL

I guess i am ready. . .or at least, i better be! :)

blondgecko

May 29, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yay! I'm going Outside! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations! After tomorrow, you're going to be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

Have fun, and be safe.

zoebird

May 29, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i've only been climbing for a few months, and didn't know anyone to take me outside, nor did the gym have any outdoor excursions for newbies. So, tomorrow is my day. :) better sleep.

alpinerock

May 29, 2005, 8:44 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how did it go? give us a report as soon as you get back.

zoebird

May 29, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from my first outdoor excursion. We went to Rocks State Park in Maryland.

There were 8 other people, besides myself, who were climbing.

I had a really great time. I learned how to belay without a grisgris/grigri, which was really fun. The climbs were in the 5-6,5-7, 5-8 range, and i didn't do the 5-8 one. But, i gave good attempts at the 5-6 and 5-7s. The first climbs were about 35 ft; the second set were 60 feet.

On the first set, i did ok--up to about 20 feet. I found it really hard to find footholds. On my second try to get beyond that 20 feet on the one climb, i managed to jam my ankle. that really frustrated me. I had a great foothold and was putting a lot of power into it when my shoe/foot slipped and all of my weight went into the front bend of my ankle, which hirt something fierce. I tried to stay on the ledge and then roll it out, but it prooved to be too much for me to stay on that climb. Unfortunately, the rest of the group was itching to go to the higher climbs (since they all reached the top of those climbs), so mine was the last 'go' before packing off and heading to the second set.

I only got one climb in the second set because, being longer, it did take people longer to get up and down. This is where i got to belay, and i love belaying. I learned a new tool--and that was great. I also learned about ropes and worked on getting my ankle to feel better.

I decided to try one of the larger ones, and i got about half way or so (30 feet). it was really good until my ankle started to ache. Since i teach standing up and walking around and adjusting, i didn't want to strain the ankle too much--i can't take time off for it.

But, i really wanted another go at the higher climb, but we were running out of time and people were getting antsy to get going and didn't want to wait for me to try and 'send' (does this come from ascend?) the longer climb. It wasn't overtly said, but it was a general feeling that i got.

I really enjoyed climbing outside. it is different from the gym, and i'm definately going to continue at the gym to practice. I'm also going to go out with them again. It was tons of fun, and each time they go out, they make sure to do 'easy' climbs so that anyone can try and maybe get to the top.

I saw many animals, which is always my favorite thing about being outside. Deer and the like were scarce, but i saw many hawks, turkey vulchers, a variety of smaller birds. I enjoyed the spring plants coming up and moving into their summer blooms. that was really cool. I saw lots of slugs and milipedes, and three snakes while on the climbs. I love snakes, so it was cool to see them.

So, outside wasn't scary really, and luckily i went with people that i didn't know (except two, one was the leader and the other i belayed with at a party on friday). I had a really good time.

and i'm really tired and my ankle is sore. :)

jackflash

May 29, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is where i got to belay, and i love belaying.

I see many willing partners in your future...

Congrats on getting out.

ajkclay

May 30, 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
This is where i got to belay, and i love belaying.

I see many willing partners in your future...

heh heh, my first thought too.

Well done Zoe, I bet you have a hard time trying not to talk about it all day to anyone who will listen too!

Keep going out as much as you can, and don't let the hurt ankle thing stay in your mind or you blow it out of proportion and let it affect future decisions regarding jamming feet etc. Show your scrapes and bruises off with pride to your workmates, and continue to enjoy your climbing. :)

Adam

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook