RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

cal_gundert05

Jun 6, 2005, 4:04 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Improvement?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm pretty new to bouldering and am not climbing real routes, just doing easy sequences. How long did it take you guys to start climbing V0?

mattmax45

Jun 6, 2005, 4:56 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improvement? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer that question accurately we'd need to poll for at least a thousand or more climbers,, some start at V4 others at V0, so I depends on your genetics, how strong or gifted you are, I believe many start out at a level they feel comfortable at, whatever the grade, then move at the pace they can or are willing to.

To pin this question down , don't worry about us, climb for yourself at you own pace, it's not a race, and enjoy the journey.

I know this didn't answer your question but it's a start.

Good luck my friend.

Matt

collegekid

Jun 6, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Re: Improvement? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Took me a few months to get V0 every so often. I am no ape-armed, sausage-fingered freak though.

I am definitely not at a genetic advantage when it comes to climbing, and I've found I've gained about 2 V grades per year (for 4 years) with disorganized, unstructured, inconsistent training and cross training for bouldering. If I had time/energy to devote to climbing, I could probably up my redpoint a V grade or two (this past year, i've seen so little real rock that I have no idea what I redpoint)

There are a lot of factors that go into how hard you climb when you first start, and how much room you have to improve...

Some factors that are worth mentioning, all equally important
-kinesthetic awareness (awareness of how to move your body and balance precisely)
-strength/weight ratio (how naturally strong your fingers and arms are relative to your body weight)
-ability to keep a cool head at height
-ability to problem solve

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook