Premier Sponsor:

pinktricam

Jul 22, 2005, 4:56 PM
Post #1 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

'Art' and tastes....
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently finished a very cool and very well researched "Egyptian Sun disc." I also finished a 9'-4" palm tree on a lovely base. Both of these works were done in copper and brass. Both include meticulous detail. One is based on a hieroglyph and the other on, well, a palm tree.

I've had numerous lookers (dozens), but not one remotely interested in the sun disc, a piece that I'm quite proud of. I didn't even have the palm tree completed before it was immediately sold to the third person I'd shown it to....granted, I live in Florida...granted, I've been comissioned to create palm trees in steel on an epic scale and in copper and brass in less than epic scales....My fear is that someday I'll be refered to only as the 'palm tree guy.' That would hurt me terribly. I'd stop making them, but the fact is that they pay off very well. I can practically make them with my eyes closed and in little time. What a dilemma :?

edge

Jul 22, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #2 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Re: 'Art' and tastes.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to see pics of your artwork.

Partner j_ung

Jul 22, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #3 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe explore different themes of palm trees. I know it doesn't really solve your problem, but hey, it's a little different and money's money. Ch-ching!

krillen

Jul 22, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #4 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pfffftt...so you have a JOB like the rest of us :) Do the palm trees to give yourself the freedom to do the fun stuff when you can. Eventually someone will want the sundial (keep showing it, word of mouth works wonders) and if not, well...you've got a great decoration ;) Unfortunately Art works that way. At least you can make a living from it....unlike most artists who have to do their art on their own time....AFTER working their regular job.

Don't overlook your admirable situation ;)

pinktricam

Jul 22, 2005, 5:12 PM
Post #5 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've sworn to get a website up this year. My brother just purchased a killer digital Canon SLR and said he'd help me out with the site. I'll be scanning some pics of my work next week so I can send them to a couple of contacts I've recently made. If you'd like, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send along a few pics you may appreciate, Lorne.

traddad

Jul 22, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #6 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Mapplethorpe. You?

pinktricam

Jul 22, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #7 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maplethorpe sought only to shock and enrage the public. His 'art' merits little consideration in a historical context. Much like my dilemma about being refered to as the 'palm treee guy,' Maplethorpe will always be remembered as the 'crucifix in piss guy.'

Partner taualum23

Jul 22, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #8 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Maplethorpe sought only to shock and enrage the public. His 'art' merits little consideration in a historical context. Much like my dilemma about being refered to as the 'palm treee guy,' Maplethorpe will always be remembered as the 'crucifix in piss guy.'

Perhaps. But he did encourage a healthy debate as to what the "purpose" of art in society was (is). If it got people talking about what is "art" and whether shock and rage (and possible even thinking) are, in and of themself, a sign of strong (if not "good") art.
I don't happen to like his art, as what it does for/to me is not what I want art to do to/for me personally, but I think it served a purpose that is rather important, and to have the poublic stand up and discuss what is and is not art, and what that art's role should/can be.

traddad

Jul 22, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #9 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually, that was Serrano....like him too?

Partner taualum23

Jul 22, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #10 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quite correct. PTC and I are both humbled (if I may speak for him)

But I actually do really like Mapplethorpe's work. His eye towards the beauty in the male and female human form is inspiring.

zozo

Jul 22, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #11 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Much like my dilemma about being refered to as the 'palm treee guy,' Maplethorpe will always be remembered as the 'crucifix in piss guy.'

That was Andres Serrano. Get a clue!

Edit: Dammit Tradad you beat me to it. Fine piece of work by the way.

pinktricam

Jul 22, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #12 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stand corrected...it's hard to keep all the pervs straight..heh, get it...pervs straight.

zozo

Jul 22, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #13 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I stand corrected...it's hard to keep all the pervs straight..heh, get it...pervs straight.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Whew.....good one!

Partner bill

Jul 22, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #14 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But I actually do really like Mapplethorpe's work. His eye towards the beauty in the male and female human form is inspiring.

That self portrait with the bullwhip inserted in his a$$ wasn't the least bit inspiring.
:lol:

Partner wideguy

Jul 22, 2005, 5:47 PM
Post #15 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That self portrait with the bullwhip inserted in his a$$ wasn't the least bit inspiring.
:lol:

I was gonna say, being know as the "bullwhip in my own ass"guy is somehow preferable to being known as the "crucifix in piss" guy?

Partner taualum23

Jul 22, 2005, 5:59 PM
Post #16 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, he has some, uh, controversial, picutres. What of his more "artsy" ones? Those were the photos I was refering to.

traddad

Jul 22, 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #17 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My art disturbs you? Use that emotion!
What is art if not a contrivance to evoke emotion? I stand before El Greco’s “Toledo”
http://www.allposters.com/...do-1597_i290956_.htm
and I feel the thunderstorm rippling my shirt. I see Rousseau’s “Tiger in a Tropical Storm (Surprised!)”
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~dbc/Img/rtiger.html
and I feel the fear of a king of the jungle being confronted with the only thing he cannot control. Art is all about evoking emotion. What emotion is up to the viewer.

Take Horror, for instance: Picasso’s “Guernica” should be hanging in the Oval Office.
http://www.mala.bc.ca/...picasso/guernica.htm

ikefromla

Jul 22, 2005, 7:33 PM
Post #18 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and to the ignorant, Duchamp will always be known as "the urinal guy." although i'll always refer to him as "the guy that quit painting to play chess."

if you feel the people buying your palm trees don't understand the value of your other work, don't take it personally. sell what you need (and think to yourself what a bunch of idiots they are.) but I would suggest that to keep out of "the palm tree guy" rut, continue to create other work and show it (got an accessible gallery space? know anyone who does?)

just don't turn into another "cutesy cottages and forests guy" *cough*kinkade*cough*

traddad

Jul 22, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #19 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just don't turn into another "cutesy cottages and forests guy" *cough*kinkade*cough*

Why....He's the "Painter of Light!!!"

Excuse me...I need to drink heavily.....

pinktricam

Jul 22, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #20 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traddad,

Good point on Picasso's Guernica in the Oval Office. However, did you know that his most controversial painting was his Les Demoiselles d'Avignon? It was truly groundbreaking and quite despised by contemporary critics, yet remains one of my very favorites for pushing the boundaries of 'art.'

http://www.english.ucsb.edu/...asso-demoiselles.jpg

Actually I'd love to be known as the 'wildlife guy'....my coral reef scenes, wading and birds of prey sculptures have been my most inspired...but then again, there was a piece I once made based on a Biblical verse (Jn 15:5) that brought actual tears (of joy) to the eyes of a few at its unveiling.

jpdreamer

Jul 22, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #21 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eh, palm trees aren't too terrible. I mean, at least they're not flamingos. I would think there'd be a pretty healthy market in Florida for reef scenes as a metalwork subject.

traddad

Jul 22, 2005, 8:12 PM
Post #22 of 22 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeebus, what are them chicks doing, vamping around in their all-togethers....?

I know just enough about art to get myself into trouble.
Same thing with liquor...and drugs....and women.......damn.....

But I know what I like. (Cue: Dennis Leary monologue....)

Speaking of Cubists....Rivera's good

http://www.nga.gov/...4/rivera/210-007.htm

http://www.nga.gov/...llscreen/210-023.jpg

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook