RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

carnaged

Jul 25, 2002, 8:04 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Sport lead climbing course
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, well, okay. I'm not fairly new to climbing, I have been climbing indoors a lot, but recently I have been getting outdoors. Actually, A friend and I have been thinking of taking a course in sport lead climbing, but it's quite expensive, it's only one day, and a $125 hole in my pocket...But the problem is, we don't have any equipment either, meaning a rope and enough draws...I was just hoping if someone could tell me, what should I be getting done first? The course, then figuring out how to get the equipment needed...or the other way around??

Thanks, Kat.

cragmyre

Jul 25, 2002, 9:11 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Sport lead climbing course [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are on a budget, I would suggest going to a local bookstore and spending the money on a good book that incorporates the techniques involved in sport leading. These include the right way to clip into bolts, transfering from lead to a TR or lower-off position and self rescue techniques. As for gear above standard essentials (rope, harness, shoes, etc.) you would need(minimum): enough draws (depends on route), locking beans (2-4), and two long slings (2-4ft for the transfer)
This should all come out to around what the class would cost plus the cost of the rope($80-$150), which is necessary anyway, if you on a tight budget.
**REMEMBER** books are no sub for pro instruction, but offer solid advice. Make sure to practice all techniques before trying to figure them out 80 ft off the ground.
Climb On
safely, though
what good is climbing if you aren't around to enjoy it
[ This Message was edited by: cragmyre on 2002-07-25 02:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cragmyre on 2002-07-25 02:16 ]

Partner jammer

Jul 25, 2002, 12:57 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At your age, I can see how money can be tight, but there must be some where you can find odd jobs for your equiptment and training. I'd purchase the equiptment first and use it for TR sessions, since you have been climbing indoors, but be sure that you know what you are doing ... don't assume that you know how to set up a toprope anchor just because you've climbed in a gym. You chould also find someone at you gym who will be willing to help you on sport routes, first at being a second, then at leading. There are many good articals here at RC that can assist you and books at your local bookstore that have valuable information. If you can't buy the book, read it there . Be safe and climb on!

oldguy

Jul 25, 2002, 1:52 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cragmyre - any suggestions on the book(s)?

Also, does anyone know if some of these techniques are discussed on this site - proper clipping and transferring to TR from lead specifically? I couldn't turn up anything with a search.

Any web sites for sport equipment technique?

Of course, I will find someone knowledgeable to teach me, but I like to read things first.

Thanks

killclimbz

Jul 25, 2002, 3:10 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carnaged,

I would forget the lead class if you don't have gear.
Try to find someone in the gym who also climbs outdoors. See if they will take you out to your local crag. If this doesn't work then go the toprope method. Get what gear you can (hopefully enough to set up a TR), go out and set up topropes. Be friendly and try to meet people at the crags. You'll probably find someone with experience that needs partners. Try climbing with that person. If it doesn't work out just repeat the process.

jt512

Jul 26, 2002, 1:34 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
A friend and I have been thinking of taking a course in sport lead climbing, but it's quite expensive, it's only one day, and a $125 hole in my pocket...

That's a total rip off. There's not that much to learn to lead bolted climbs. Don't you know any experienced sport climbers who can show you?

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook