RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

carnaged

Jul 28, 2002, 8:21 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1579 views)
Shortcut

In addition to my sport lead course...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, well, let me get this point straight across, I'll have money for my $125 one day course, and enough for a rope (my friend's tackling the draws) Well I've got a bit more information on it, and I'm thinking that it's just what I need.

A few of you suggested that I instead, get someone at my local gym, who climbs outside lots, and well, i know a ton from my gym, but they've suggested a professional course, because if something were to go wrong, then they'd be responsible, see what I'm getting? I suppose in my last submition to this, it wasn't too clear.

But the deal is, this course is August 10th, and I'd like to get equipment so I can go outside and climb more often..

The topics included in this course I'm referring to include: product knowledge, hazard assessment, rope management, knots, cliff edge protocol, anchor systems, lead climbing strategies, clipping quickdraws, anchor and route retreat skills, dynamic lead belays, top-down belays, seconding a lead, rappels using a back-up system and simple rescue skills.

I find this very useful, and still not sure if it's worth the amount its going for.
But If I want to climb outside, I think I'm going to need this, badly, because none of my climbing partners (who do climb outdoors) wont teach me~!

Kat

[ This Message was edited by: carnaged on 2002-07-28 01:26 ]

duskerhu

Jul 28, 2002, 9:38 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1579 views)
Shortcut

In addition to my sport lead course... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, are you asking them to "take you out and teach" you??? 'Cause if you are, maybe that "teach" word is scaring them off.

I don't want to discourage you from taking the class, it's probably a good idea to take it. But picture this senario if you will and tell me which would be more appealing to you...

Senario #1
"Hey Jeff/Jennifer, what do you think about taking me out this Saturday and teaching me how to tie knots, build anchors, and clip draws while I'm climbing?"

Senario #2
"Hey Jeff/Jennifer, do you think I could go climbing outside with you sometime? I think I could really learn a lot from a climber like you..."

S1 makes the point of "teaching" sounding like work; not that you're saying exactly this but think about how you are.

S2 is much more appealing to anyone; can I learn from you?

I say, take the class, it sounds like fun and you could learn a lot, but examine how you're asking people for favors...

Live Free!
Play Hard!
Climb On!

duskerhu

mitchal

Jul 28, 2002, 1:41 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Kat,
Go ahead and take the course.I have not taken any course in leading and,even though I now can lead 5.10 on a good day,I still would take the opportunity to take a course.Nothing can replace the sage wisdom of an experienced guide/instructor.They have tips and tecniques that are the accepted norm for climbing.Many things I have come up with on my own have worked well,some are just plain dangerous when I look back at them.That $125 may be the cost of saving your life,or someone elses.
Take the course,pay attention,and learn all you can.Then come show me.
Climb Happy
Mitch

jt512

Jul 28, 2002, 6:14 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kat,

After reading the list of topics that they are going to cover, I'm chaning my "vote": Take the class. If they really cover everything on the list, it's worth the money.

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook