Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
Beta on the closes climbing spots around Houston.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

asotoc2003

Nov 8, 2005, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Beta on the closes climbing spots around Houston.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone.

Recently moved to Houston Texas from Southren California , and need information on climbing or bouldering locations around Houston. What is the nearest spot to Houston? Not necessarily interested in the best climbing areas in the state, just something that is near and does not require driving half way across the state to get in a day of climbing or bouldering. any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cdb1386

Nov 8, 2005, 6:51 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Re: Beta on the closes climbing spots around Houston. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering - Roger's Park outside of Belton, TX
Sport - Reimers Ranch outside of Austin, TX
Trad - Enchanted Rock outside of Fredericksburg, TX

Take a look at the Texas Areas on this site.
If you live in Houston Driving several hours is required to any climbing destination.

gene

Nov 8, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately for you, when you move from southern california to Houston, the concept of "close" climbing takes on a completely different meaning.

There's no real rock closer than 2.5-3 hours (Austin). Austin has good limestone sport-climbing at Reimer's and along the Greenbelt (check out Texas Limestone II guidebook).

Good granite climbing out at Enchanted Rock state park (E-rock) with trad, sport and bouldering. About 4.5 hours away, not too far from San Antonio. I think there's a new guidebook out for this place, the old one is WAYYY out of print (I photocopied a friends, but Amazon or some other site might turn up a used one)

Pecos river is a real cool place - climbing in a desert river-valley down along the Texas-Mexico border by Del Rio. About a 9 hour drive, but well worth it. Check out www.pecosriverclimbing.com

Plenty of good climbing up in Arkansas (Sam's Throne, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, etc). Again about 9 hours away.

Saving the best for last .... the Potrero is a 9 hour drive across the border into Mexico. Bolted climbs up to 23 pitches and trad as well. I had some crazy friends who did this as a REGULAR weekend trip ..... they usually got back at 7AM Monday morning and went straight into work.

I've never been up to Mineral Wells by Dallas (mostly toproping), but have been told that it's not worth the approx. 5 hr drive.

So basically - sorry - nothing "close" to Houston. I've done day-trips out to Austin a bunch, but it makes for a long day. Prepare to rack up miles on the auto if you want to climb much real rock out of Houston.

Cruise down to the Texas Rock Gym just south of town down in League City and ask around for an old biker-hippie-climber fella called Booker. He'll take care of you.

blackwell4

Nov 8, 2005, 7:59 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah , the definition of " close" is real different in Texas and Houston is the home of a 2 hour drive to get a burger!

Gene provided excellent layout of what to look for except there are new guide books for Enchanted Rock and Austin Limestone.

The old ones are so out of print they are collector items.

Go to www.erockonline.com for new guide books for both E Rock and Austin.

The Austin book is just this week being released and can be bought on line for half price. It includes the bouldering around Austin, Reimer's Ranch, Austin greenbelts, Georgetown and Lake Travis.

There are plenty of climbers in Houston and they have a great local organization.

Check out http://www.houstonclimbing.com/TMR/ Get involved they are good folks.

I live in Austin and am available by phone, email PM or in person for route locating and beta of the limestone 'round here.

PM when / if you want more details.

onsight_endorphines

Nov 8, 2005, 8:41 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to Houston! It's a great city but there is NO climbing ; )

Something that hasn't been mentioned is Pace Bend Park, in Austin. It's a fantastic place go water bouldering and/or deep water soloing in the Summer if you're into that. There are also several bolted climbs there, most requiring a belay from the water.

Pedernales Falls State Park (near Austin) has some high quality stuff.

Mineral Wells state park (SW of Ft. Worth) is a unique place, as is Paradise on the Brazos (POB) but they're both a bit chossy. I'd definately make the drive every once in a while if Reimer's and Pace Bend weren't so close.

Reimer's is the place to be for excellent sport climbing (5.6 - 5.14) and some good boulders.

I've never been to Bull Creek, but there's some info on google. I'm pretty sure it's bouldering only.

May I recommend a climbing gym? STONE MOVES!!!! On FM1960 @ Cutten Rd. Great gym great people climber owned and operated.

Again, welcome to Houston.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook