RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

lordshockspeare

Nov 11, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2180 views)
Shortcut

competition in europe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone know how to find out about competitions in europe or more specifically spain? The only website I´ve found is desnivel but they only seem to have info on competitions after the fact. they don´t say anything on upcoming competitions. Everryone says that europeans take climbing competitons much more seriously than the states but I have yet to see it!
I think it would be kind of fun although humbling to compete here but moreso I want to see the so-called pros while I´m buming around europe and try and catch one of the world cups. :)
thanks
kyle

sport_climber_100

Nov 11, 2005, 7:52 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Re: competition in europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check out http://www.icc-info.org

bob123

Nov 15, 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The calendar on the www.uiaaclimbing.com site is definitely the place to get basic dates and locations. They have not listed the comps for 2006 yet. Specific information about the individual comps is sometimes hard to come by. You don't just show up and register for a World Cup like you'd do for a comp in the US.

Not broadly known is that anyone, 16 or older, can compete in a World Cup. However:
1. You must be registered for the comp by your national federation; USAClimbing in the US.
2. You must be a member of your national federation.
3. Cost for the required International License & required national Competition jersey (shirt) is $100.
4. Contact your national federation preferably a month in advance (USAC @888-944-4244).
5. Plan to have a great time.

overlord

Nov 15, 2005, 1:17 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sure, give it a shot. but be warned that those are really serious comps, especially the difficulty ones. those athletes are sick. even women onsight 8a+ and that does not even guarantee the finals.

imho youll have better luck with bouldering. and really think about it. is it really worth 100$ for a license and then the entry fee (of wich i have no idea how it is).

also try to look for any "open" comps. you dont need any license for those and some of them even have different categories (world cup doesnt) so youll have better chances.

bob123

Nov 15, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is typically no entry fee in a World Cup Comp.

Sorry if the World Cup comps were not what you were asking about. You're right about the competition being sickly hard.

squierbypetzl

Nov 16, 2005, 4:05 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

European competitions are disgustingly difficult, on any level (or so I´ve heard from competitors).

Climbing in Europe, especially in France/Spain/Switzerland/etc. is like soccer or tee-ball in the US. Climbing holds at playgrounds, climbing shoes from Santa Claus, porta-ledges instead of cribs... It´s HUGE.

UIAA Comp Calendar 2005
http://www.icc-info.org/?page_name=calendar

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook