RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

shadytree

Aug 10, 2002, 10:48 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Late
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My brother-in-law wants to go climbing a lot, and the only times he can really do it are after work, and he gets off at like 6:45. So this means we get to our rock at like 7:15. Then with other people that tag along, it gets to be 5 or 6 people which isn't a whole lotta time to climb. I wanna know if it is worth it to you other climbers to do something like this. oh and the climbs are only like 5.5 or 5.6 and i wanna be climbing like 5.10s or 5.11s. is this a waste of time?

nailzz

Aug 10, 2002, 11:13 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Late [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you climbing? If yes, then it's not a waste of time if you ask me. Check out this post as well:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=13625&forum=43

Night climbing is always an option.

Plus, if any of these 5 or 6 people you climb with are as serious as you are, you'll find yourself making extra plans to climb with them more often than just the usual outings. The more people you meet, the more potential climbing partners you've got.

Stick with it, climb when you can and what you can and you'll find opportunities.

Have fun.

Edit: Ficksed muh grammer.

[ This Message was edited by: nailzz on 2002-08-10 16:15 ]

climberfrazier

Aug 11, 2002, 12:01 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think nailzz said it great.If your climbing it's not a bad thing.I can only hope someone will show me the ropes. CLIMB ON!

collegekid

Aug 11, 2002, 12:15 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's only bad if you want to challenge yourself and you aren't challenging yourself. Otherwise, it's always fun climbing in a group.. you can always boulder hard stuff while the other people are climbing.

apollodorus

Aug 11, 2002, 12:30 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Setting pro by Braille is always a challenge. That's what makes night climbing great. If was easy, everybody'd do it.

Those LED headlamps are just bright enough to see what you're doing, but not so bright that they eat a case of batteries a week.

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 11, 2002, 12:57 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that really depends on the situation. Whether or not you need to get up and go back to work the next day (causing you to not climb as late), or whatever circumstances may occur, it continues rather to depend upon many factors and situations.

If you enjoy night climbing, and are willing to continue the climbing into the late hours of the night, it is your decision. Hopefully you've brought along many lanterns, lamps, and "headlights."

Night climbing is not exactly my personal preference. Although I have never tried it, I find climbing during the day much more enjoyable, and allowing the climber to ascend climbs of his full potential.

downshift

Aug 11, 2002, 1:57 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometime you got to do what you have to to climb. I have to climb late alot because of work, but we make it work for us. So you may only get one or two assents in but heck it better than sitting at home watch re-runs.

tygereye

Aug 12, 2002, 2:25 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know it's not the same, but during the week I normally go to the climbing gym. There I mostly work on endurance and strength training and as soon as we get the chance (weekends/ day off/etc.), we hit the rocks!
So I do get to climb any day, but nothing really beats the real thing.

climbsomething

Aug 12, 2002, 2:41 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like what nailzz said. I also refer to elvislegs/phillycheese, who go climbing at daybreak If you've got the passion, any time of day will do for climbing!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook