RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

somethingwicked

Dec 22, 2005, 5:52 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Gohst/Wiaparous Access Management Plan
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Some of you may be familiar with this...most of you will not be. My name is Tim Garton, and I am on the board of directors for the Alberta United Recrationalists Society. We are and umbrella org. that represents ALL the out door users. Motorized and non-motorized. We are fighting to keep access open to ALL the user in this area! I know there are some of you who use this area to climb in. Please visit our site at aurs.org to find out more about us. We also have our annual general meeting coming up in Jan.. We are trying to get more of the different user groups involved to unite and have a stronger voice! All of the MLA's in the area are also listed on our site, so you know who to contact to voice your concerns to! I will return to this site from time to time to try and answer any questions you may have for me. Thanks. :D

kman

Dec 22, 2005, 7:03 AM
Post #2 of 7 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gohst/Wiaparous Access Management Plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ban the mudbogger red necks.

somethingwicked

Dec 22, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunatly, that is a common miss-perception of the off-road community. Education is a very important part of any recreational use of our outdoor areas, even in rock climbing I'm sure. There are FAR more people who use the area RESPONSIBLY than there are so called rednecks, but the ones that get all the attention are the bad apples. The government is as much to blaim for not having the man-power to look after the area(since they closed down the ranger stations in the area about 8 years ago), so it has left 2 officer/rangers to cover the area from Nordeg to K- country! A lot of the trouble also comes from uneducated users, such as teen-agers or young adults, who only come to the area to have raves and grad parties, leaving behind a terrible mess. I'm not saying that grown adults don't do it either, because this is sometimes the case as well. The majority of users(even the mudboggers), do so responibly. They also attend our annual voulonteers days in the areas and help do trail maintanence, clean ups, and build bridges over sensitive water crosings. All of this is done in coordination with ASRD and the Department of Fisheries and Oceons.

undercrab

May 25, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was wondering if there is a plan to put a bridge so that people can access STD, Bastion wall, Alberta Jam and not to mention all of the ice climbing? The currant is usually pretty strong so it would be pretty hard to cross the river safely on foot . Last year, I saw a girl that got taken away by the currant. Pretty scary! :shock:

darkside

May 26, 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was wondering if there is a plan to put a bridge so that people can access STD, Bastion wall, Alberta Jam and not to mention all of the ice climbing? The currant is usually pretty strong so it would be pretty hard to cross the river safely on foot . Last year, I saw a girl that got taken away by the currant. Pretty scary! :shock:
Putting a bridge in at this point is a little premature. Vehicles are not permitted beyond a certain point regardless of bridges at this time. The Climbers Access Society of Alberta (CASA) is already heavily involved in this issue and more information can be found here
http://www.climbersaccess.ab.ca

CASA is currently establishing the requirements for a scientific study prior to proceeding so that any money from climbers is spent wisely. There is already a nice start to the Ghost Access Fund but more will be needed so it looks like we are going to have to put our hands in our pockets if we want to ensure access to the Ghost.

...... or buy lifejackets as part of our rack. :shock:

rockguide

May 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A foot bridge (not a driving bridge) is an interesting idea for the North Ghost crossing to Silver Tongued devil/Bastion wall.

It really is not necessary as it is rarely difficult to wade the river but it would discourage people from driving through the river as they have in the past (and is now illegal) to save 200m of walking and to keep their feet dry.

Of course it may not stop the campers (non climbers) from driving through the river to camp at the STD crag campsite or the site by the Bastion wall road.

Brian

somethingwicked

May 30, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello again, Tim Garton with the AURS. I'm not entirely sure where you guys are talking about, however, the AURS has been the main stewardship group for the Gohst Wiaparous area for over 10 years. We will be continuing to work with ASRD to keep access open for ALL off-highway users, even climbers. I would like to hear more about any access cocerns that the climbing crowd has about the area. I'm also sure that the AURS is willing to help out with projects in the area to promot access for you, the users. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me. Also, our new web site will be up and running soon with all the latest info on GAMP. In the mean time you can visit us at aurs.org . Thanks. :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook