RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

calii22

Feb 18, 2006, 3:41 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Arkansas bouldering trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone now how far away the ozarks are away from the airport? i want to go for a month or so but i dont want to rent a car. ( its a flippin fortune) Any good camping? Any other help would be greatly appriciated.
If anyone could help that would be awsome.
Thanks

chodeman

Feb 18, 2006, 3:55 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Re: Arkansas bouldering trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What airport? Big airport or little airport? Theres an airport in Springfield, MO. Thats about 2 hrs from HCR.

calii22

Feb 18, 2006, 4:26 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont know which one any suggestions?

calii22

Feb 18, 2006, 4:28 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont know which one any suggestions? Is there good bouldering in liitle rock to? I have no clue about much on this trip!

angryelf

Feb 18, 2006, 6:16 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like you might be going to mt magazine, sams throne and horseshoe canyon ranch.
there's lots of camping up there, sam's is 2.5 hrs about, magazine is less than that from little rock. HCR is 2.9 hrs from the Little Rock airport to Horseshoe canyon ranch, there's not much bouldering in little rock, only 2 or three tiny little areas
gohcr.com says:
Little Rock National Airport - 140 miles away. Springfield Branson Regional Airport - 2-1/2 hours away.

calii22

Feb 18, 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool thanks for the replys i really appriciate them

dermoerder

Feb 24, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to be in hot Springs for most of the middle of March. Where will I be in relation to all the fun? :)

organic

Feb 24, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are going to travel all the way from Oregon to Arkansas to go bouldering? You can't be serious...

From Illinois to North Carolina there are about 50 places with better bouldering than Arkansas.

Holy Boulders, HP 40, LRC, Boat Rock, Tons of Places in NC to name a few. Is this guy serious? He must have just finished watching Dosage III or something.

calii22

Mar 8, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah so what it looked pimp. sorry you can only follow cammands from your mommy. some people are Punks

calii22

Mar 8, 2006, 3:25 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude your kinda cocky for not climbing very well

ikefromla

Mar 8, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just spent a month in Arkansas bouldering. I have ALL of the beta, but I will not reply in your public thread.

Here is the deal, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch is a few hours of a drive from the Little Rock airport, the cheapest to fly into. The HCR area is where the majority of the bouldering you have read about or seen is located. There is great stuff at secret areas a little further south in the state, but you won't be shown that stuff unless you get in really good with the locals developing it ... and even then, you'd need to convince them to drive you down to it (Assuming you don't rent a car) or to give you directions... so basically, that's out (although, you said you'd be there over a month, so maybe you'll get in good with my friends who are in the know.) You'll be at the Ranch to start though. also, disregard anything anyone said about Sam's Throne and Mt Magazine. They are out of the way and NOT bouldering spots. they are route climbing spots (sport and trad.)

So say you rent a car and get up to the Ranch, near the town of Jasper (or figure some way to get a ride there) ... you can pay $5 a night to camp at the ranch, sure, but you will want to meet Chad Watkins. Chad works at the ranch and has a house RIGHT outside of the gate with a guest cabin. The cabin is cozy and open to his climber friends. Also, a lot of the spectacular bouldering in Dosage 3 and such is not on ranch property proper. Your best bet would be to go there, climb all the good stuff in the North 40 Boulders and the Idahos and meet the locals. This will open up other opportunities.

Sorry to be so vague about the specifics of secret spots and boulder fields, but it's not my place to disseminate that information, as I was a guest in Arkansas. I hope you have a good trip, and if you have any other beta questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer them as best I can.

Out of curiosity, how hard are you bouldering typically. It'll give me an idea of problems to recommend.

-Ike

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook