RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

powerhousebum

Mar 31, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Time For The Ubiquitous Crash Pad Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I just recently got a job at a climbing gym, and with that access to pro-deals. My last pad, well to put it bluntly is fuc....well you get the picture. So since money isn't really going to be a problem, which pad should I get. I'm leaning towards a Fat Bastard, Mondo, or Dropzone. Anybody have any experience with these? Durability, features, etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

pumpkins

Mar 31, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Re: Time For The Ubiquitous Crash Pad Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if moneys not an issue, and u want a "real" pad id say go with the biggest thing u can get, the problem with this though is that your gonna find it hard to walk through the less developed areas, maybe even the developed ones depending on the season and the area. Its a bitch trying to haul a huge pad around when the trees are barely enough for your body to manuever between, plus u would run the risk of snags which could lead to tears and cuts...

my vote though provided you just didnt buy two medium size mads, would be
the mondo/magnum pad...there the gold standard i'd say from anything to highballs to 2 ft'ers, next id say any of metolius's, and after that if u wanted to keep it under 200, either a voodoo highball 4000 (if u wanted to spend more on a uber pad the 5000), a dropzone, or the highlander, all are equally as good to fall on, it just all depends on what kind of accessorys u want
the dropzone i think has the best but thats just my 2cents....

jboulderct

Mar 31, 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for my money you can't beat the Mad Pad or the Triple Mad Pad from Mad Rock. Good size, great foam, great price. A triple threat. :twisted:

madhardclimber

Apr 1, 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My vote is for the Mondo thats one of the pads i have and i love it its huge good foam and light for its size and quite comfy to sleep on and isnt terribly expensive with the prodeal. Shippings a bit more though i think it was like 10-15 dollars when i got mine the smaller pads 5-10 dollars i think???? (its been a while so i could be wrong) The fat bastard is super nice though if a bit smaller i have a freind who has one and its awesome the cheap bastard is pretty much the same pad, though with fewer color choices (no camo or flowers or anything just black) and it is cheap very cheap with the prodeal system.

vegasguy

Apr 1, 2006, 6:49 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give the Revolution 12-guage a good once over. I have it and love it every one else that i climb with loves it. If you want more help pm me I bought two crash pads in the winter and did tons of research. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Andy

powerhousebum

Apr 2, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everyone, i think i'm going to have to go with the......(dramatic pause).....drop zone. I did some bouldering up in craft, and i took a pretty heady fall and walked away unscathed on that pad. Plus to get last year's model is wicked cheap. Thanks for everyone's input I appreciate it.

jakedatc

Apr 2, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good choice.. Mondo look nice but seem too big unless you know you're going to be bouldering alone alot or doing some really high stuff

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook