RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

mrtropy

Dec 2, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2034 views)
Shortcut

Family Vacation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Way ahead of time -But My family will be taking a European vacation to Spain Italy ????. With two little ones in tow both under 10 where would be a couple of good places to hang out and climb. Where do European families go to climb. Looking for climbs form 5.8-5.10 of one pitch. Thanks
http://portlandrockclimbs.com/

(This post was edited by mrtropy on Aug 19, 2007, 7:21 PM)

Partner tisar

Dec 2, 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtropy] Family Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I gotta pee, where in the US would be the best place to do so?

Sorry, might sound harsh, but with that amount of information you won't gonna get any sound advice...

Spain and Italy are two different countries. Both capable of giving you a lifetime of climbing. And we aren't talking of 'European families' yet, cause that would include a dozen other countries with unique topographies. Do some minor research on the topic, at least consult a map or such, and come back.

However: Welcome to Europe! With a little more input, there really are some people here to give you good beta.

- Daniel

mrtropy

Dec 3, 2006, 2:20 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Family Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're correct, I have been overwhelmed by the amount of information about the the places to climb We were thinking more by the sea, like Finale in Itialy or one of the may places along the coast of Spain. We have a friend with an apartment in Alacante. The problem is June and July are the only months we can travel and that seems to be the high season. The only place I have climbed in Europe was Pena de Roca in Portugal which wa fun. I guess I am asking for a place to start looking.

And the best place to piss in the US is Vegas.
Jeff

overlord

Dec 3, 2006, 6:37 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

finale and arco in italy are good places to start, but like you said, it is peak season in summer crags. if youre in northern italy, you might also want to check out switzerland. lots of good crags and usually cooler temps.

Partner tisar

Dec 3, 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtropy wrote:
And the best place to piss in the US is Vegas.
Jeff

I'll keep that in mind for further use Laugh

overloard's right with the temps. June and July are freaking hot in Finale and supposedly everywhere in Spain. I would try to get higher in altitude (the Alps, be it French, Swiss or Austrian) or farer to the north.
Except of course you want to DWS at the Atlantic coast.

Maybe the Dolomites might have what you are looking for. Never been there, but just heard amazing things about (paolo gets wet eyes just if someone mentiones the name) and its high enough. And just the view of it... *drool*

- Daniel

(This post was edited by tisar on Dec 3, 2006, 11:20 AM)

uasunflower

Dec 4, 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Family Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

some friends of mine always go to Oripierre with their families, a French village between Gap and Valence, nicely situated, that was developped by its maire to become a family climbing village, see here - http://www.orpierre.fr/. It has short approaches, many 1-pitch climbs, a campground, guest houses etc. There is a climbing school where you can leave the small ones, they also offer canyoneering excursions etc. Otherwise you have Ceuse near-by, Verdon lower etc. Still it's very HOT during summer everywhere around there...

funtom

Dec 4, 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try Lofoten islands in Norway- There is everything you want (maybe more), super crags growing up from sea, single pitch, multipitch, alpine, seakayaking, fishing, watching Seaeagles- yes, can be cold here, but in June-July weather is good and is Polar day, so you can do what you want anytime.
There is LOt of climbing.

chrtur

Dec 4, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funtom] Family Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lofoten can also have rain for a week and or two in a row during summerCool. It is also much more expensive respect to other countries in Europe, maybe important for a family?

- C

uasunflower

Dec 5, 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chrtur] Family Vacation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chrtur wrote:
Lofoten can also have rain for a week and or two in a row during summerCool. It is also much more expensive respect to other countries in Europe, maybe important for a family?

- C

but i'd love to go there anyway...although the part about rain is true - my mom didn't even realize there were mountains there because of the fog, when i was drooling about her trip, she was like 'lofoten? i don't think you'd like it, cold, foggy, water and mosquitos, that's it...

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook