RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

talnlnky

Jan 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1983 views)
Shortcut

The Circuit Boulder Gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was in Portland, Oregon wednesday/thursday for a job interview and decided to head over to The Circuit to see what it was like. Must say I was a lil surprised. Lots and LOTS of bouldering. They even have one bouldering wall which hangs from the roof. Pretty crazy. Its supposedly the biggest bouldering gym in the world, and there are no roped routes at all.

will have to stop in again if i'm ever in the portland area in the future. Highly recommend it to anybody who happens to be killing some time in Portland for business or whatever.

sorry if this sounds like a free advertisement.

(This post was edited by talnlnky on Jan 19, 2007, 12:22 PM)

mushroomsamba

Jan 19, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [talnlnky] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

talnlnky wrote:
sorry if this sounds like a free advertisement.

as you should be. consumer whore.

"end sarcasm"

sounds like a cool gym if you boulder alot, but I honsetly wonder how long you can survive on no roped climbing. I know most gyms get more money off of "dare I say it" birthday parties and non climbers just going for an after noon then they do out of the actuall climbing community. and bouldering seems to be somthing most non climbers have very little intrest in, they tend to like nice easy 5.2s that top out around 30-40 feet depending on the gym. in shorts, non climbers like to get highTongue

mike_helt

Jan 19, 2007, 7:59 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Circuit does very well for itself. And yes it does do birthday parties, the kids eat it up. It's also cheaper for the gym to staff as they dont have to provide belayers, just one person to supervise the gagle.
This is my home gym so I may be partial but I think it's the best gym in the country hands down, ropes or not.
So big you can get lost in the boulders. Everything from V-easy to V-sick over 300 problems at anyone time.
But the best part is the vibe, they have the nicest and psyched crew of any gym I've visited. No bouldering snobs, gods, or clods here.
They just held a dope comp you can read about it here: http://www.routesetter.com

andymcoleman

Jan 19, 2007, 8:05 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that most gyms make their money off traditional business models and ideas that previous gyms have come up with. They talk about numbers and business plans, pro formas, market strategies, etc. We talk about community and our love of the sport. We are going our own route. We have a very big and chill community. We have over 300 boulder problems that appeal to hard boulderers, died in the wool trad and sport climbers, little kids, and soccer moms. Newcomers and kids love our bouldering- maybe because we dont hype it up to be for "advanced climbers" or harder than roped climbing. I think time will show to everyone that we took a big step in a different direction and it is working out very well for us. Come by for a visit and see for yourself.

Andy-owner, The Circuit

andymcoleman

Jan 19, 2007, 8:07 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mike_helt] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mike, your blue finals is sick. I got upside-down last night!

boulderluv

Jan 19, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mike_helt] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mike_helt wrote:
The Circuit does very well for itself. And yes it does do birthday parties, the kids eat it up. It's also cheaper for the gym to staff as they dont have to provide belayers, just one person to supervise the gagle.
This is my home gym so I may be partial but I think it's the best gym in the country hands down, ropes or not.
So big you can get lost in the boulders. Everything from V-easy to V-sick over 300 problems at anyone time.
But the best part is the vibe, they have the nicest and psyched crew of any gym I've visited. No bouldering snobs, gods, or clods here.
They just held a dope comp you can read about it here: http://www.routesetter.com

this is my home gym too and i agree with the above 100%. word on the street about the Circuit seems to be good too... when i was at Hueco for the holidays, several people asked me about it and said they had heard it was pretty cool. i, of course, agreed Smile

Jan 19, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andymcoleman] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andymcoleman wrote:
Andy-owner, The Circuit

I visit Portand often. I pretty much bum a spot on a friend's couch or live out of my truck for a couple days while in town. I have been to the Cicuit once. I will always choose PRG now on, becasue they have a SHOWER facility. It matters for non-locals!

Great gym otherwise!

unrooted

Jan 19, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boulderluv] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been to the PRG many times and last Christmas while visiting my parents I went to the circuit. I loved it, so much variety.

I love sport climbing, trad climbing and bouldering so of course I would like to get on a rope also, but that isn't always possible. I think it is better to have one really great thing, then two mediocre things.

I just wish my gym had a quarter of the bouldering area at the circuit.

konaboy

Jan 19, 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unrooted] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been to PRG a handful of times and really dig their bouldering and tall walls (compared to my home gym). This past weekend I was at the circuit to watch the ABS comp (men's finals was out of this world) and totally loved the scene. We came back on sunday to climb the comp routes for five hours.

The thing that definitely sets the circuit apart from bouldering at other gyms is the ridiculous variety they have to offer. Slab, overhanging, curved, top-out, textured, glossy plywood, and fiberglass. Some walls are only ~10 ft high, others seem more like 16, the floor is super squishy, crash pads are plentiful and the hold selection is A+. Enough so that I'm sure many more 2.5 hour drives to portland will be in order throughout the winter solely to visit.

It's a shame the pictures on their website don't show off the gym a little better, but I heard the webmaster is somewhat of a lame-o and better things are in the works.

That's my 2cents anyhoo. Keep it up Circuit crew.

dylanransom

Feb 7, 2007, 5:23 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That place looks fantastic!! This sort of gym has always been kind of a wet dream for me...

Now I need a reason to go to Portland...

roflcakes

Feb 23, 2007, 2:38 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dylanransom] The Circuit Boulder Gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My buddy use to have a membership there and he can send v7 EASY
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook